Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly! Empty Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly!

Post  Paeter February 7th 2014, 11:36 am

I've already got a "What's On Your Brain" segment planned for the podcast that hits on this topic, but thought I'd still mention it here.

This smells a lot like DC is having trouble getting readers to buy the New 52 Superman. As one poster on a comic book forum said, Geoff Johns is essentially DC's "Mister Fixit". I've also gotten the impression that this title has had a number of "false starts". Some readers like Superman's new attitude (I'm not one of them) but haven't been happy with the writing.

Anyone here reading any New 52 Superman books? What's your take on the New 52 Superman? A misstep or a needed breath of fresh air?

www.spiritblade.com
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly! Empty Re: Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly!

Post  Dunadwarf February 7th 2014, 4:16 pm

I've never read any of the comics, but if the recent animated film "Justice League: War" shows the typical rebooted "Superman" (and it fits the things I've heard about the changes, so I suspect so), I LOATHE him. This is the Superman you'd get if Martha Kent's sociopathic second husband, played by Kevin Costner, actually raised him. You wouldn't get likable and admirable Clark, as portrayed by Henry Cavill, you'd get this overpowered pantywaste; constantly plagued with his own insecurities and competing with people who are just trying to do their freaking jobs, arrogant to the point that I'd think this was Frank Miller's mentally-defective Batman in a Halloween costume, and openly lusting after Wonder Woman like a wasted frat boy.
    In other words, Paeter, I agree. Not a fan of the new Superman.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly! Empty Re: Geoff Johns to take over Superman Monthly!

Post  Paeter February 10th 2014, 1:02 pm

Dunadwarf wrote:I've never read any of the comics, but if the recent animated film "Justice League: War" shows the typical rebooted "Superman" (and it fits the things I've heard about the changes, so I suspect so), I LOATHE him.

Yeah, JLA:War is based on the New 52 Justice League. Stay tuned for my review this weekend...

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington February 10th 2014, 7:32 pm

I read the first trade to the New 52 Action Comics and didn't care for his attitude. I get that they are trying to go "darker" or whatever, but I would rather just have good, classic Superman. I am, however, reading the Superman/Wonder Woman title and loving it! Yes, it has the new Superman, but he doesn't seem as grumpy or as much of a jerk in my opinion, and the Superman/Wonder Woman love story is working very well for me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 8:08 am