Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Lost in Space

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Lost in Space Empty Lost in Space

Post  mindspike May 1st 2014, 10:34 pm

Is there any love for Lost in Space out there?

This is a show that could rightly be considered the father of sci-fi television series. It was the first show to chain events together into a string of continuity. Every episode fed into the next one, creating a single story that ends in a climactic season finale. The crew of the Jupiter 2 often fought and were at odds with each other, conflicting attitudes and values between the Robinson family, Major West, and Dr Smith.

The show introduced mystery and explored strange new environments on a regular basis, and seldom if ever was everything tied up in a bow at the end of the episode. Much of what the crew endured was left to the imagination of the audience. The show dealt with moral and scientific problems on a regular basis without the heavy-handed commentary of later sci-fi.

If a valid criticism were leveled at it, I might suggest that the acting and effect are very much a product of the 60s. The pacing and filming choices are likely to seem odd to a modern viewer.

I really like this show. Anyone share the love?

Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Lost in Space Empty Re: Lost in Space

Post  Dunadwarf May 5th 2014, 12:20 pm

I've never seen the old show, but I'll admit that I enjoyed the movie, and I'm one of the few who seemed to. Never got the hatred for that movie.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike May 5th 2014, 3:31 pm

The whole series is free to watch at Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/lost-in-space

If you want to understand the roots of America television sci-fi, you should watch this show. Not only is it *really* reflective of the culture and general scientific knowledge of the time, but it pioneered many of the elements that we have either taken for granted or have come to loathe in modern sci-fi. At the time Irwin Allen did them, they were new and visionary.

I also enjoyed the movie, particularly Gary Oldman's monologue on evil as conscious choice. That's good sci-fi, and very reflective of the original series.

Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf May 5th 2014, 10:48 pm

Have you watched the commentary, where they describe the sequel they planned? It would have been a great follow-up, rehashing lots of things from the "never happened" future in new ways and actually exploring the consequences of the events of the first movie.
    I truly, honestly, don't see why that movie is so hated, especially given the other sci-fi of the previous years. I'll admit that Grawp was a waste, but unlike Jar-Jar, it wasn't critical to the story, nor ubiquitous, so it really didn't bring the movie down.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster May 6th 2014, 12:50 am

I have the first season on DVD but haven't gotten the other two seasons.

I also enjoyed the movie when it came out, of course I don't know how much of that was affected by the fact that the movie had My crush Lacey Chabert in it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 6:31 am