Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series Empty Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series

Post  AdamCollings March 6th 2018, 9:04 pm

Okay, this looks awesome. I never saw the original series (I saw the terrible 90s movie, but I'm sure that doesn't count). So I have no particular emotional connection to the source material. My assumption has always been that the show was very campy / cheesy / pulpy. This doesn't look like that.

What grabs my attention:
    * First. The planet vistas. Modern effects giving some beautiful looking alien planets in this trailer. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Seems that they're going for some "sense of wonder" sci-fi, which I really like.
    * Family. I like the idea of a sci-fi show that centres around a family. As a family man, this has the potential to really connect with me emotionally. That's one of the reasons I loved the sadly short-lived Terra Nova. (A family helping found a new human colony in the distant past with dinosaurs)
    * Colonisation. There's something about colonisation stories that I really love. (Again Terra Nova). Humans coming from a terrible situation, creating a new future. A second chance. A new hope. This is probably why I loved the final episode of Battlestar Galactica. It felt like the beginning of an exciting new story (one which I would TOTALLY have watched)
    * Best of all - it's a Netflix Original, which means .... I'LL ACTUALLY GET TO SEE IT!!!!

I'm pretty pumped.

What does everyone else think? Anybody here a fan of the original Lost in Space?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series Empty Re: Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series

Post  Paeter March 7th 2018, 10:50 am

Dude, this looks RIGHT up my alley!

I almost welled up with tears at the thought of a well-made geek show like this that is focused on a family, rather than the fleeting, empty "romance" and sex appeal that is flooding into both mainstream and premium programming. This looks emotionally grounded and visually excellent!

Never watched the original, but am familiar enough to appreciate the "Danger Will Robinson" reference. REALLY looks great! But now, in somewhat typical geek fashion, I will spend more time talking about negatives than positives, even though my thoughts are largely very positive after watching this trailer.

My concerns at this point are:

1. As the young boy actor grows up he may not work as well. Often times, child actors that work well as child characters come across as wooden when they become teenagers and then young adults. There are very few in the world like Dakota Fanning or Elijah Wood.

2. I can imagine them giving in to the temptation of bringing a teenage male human or humanoid into the regular cast to provide a "young romance" subplot for the teenage daughter. Western pop-culture is so over-sexed that some decision-maker somewhere will think it's an absolute tragedy if these kids don't have someone to have a "romance" with as they come of age. Personally, I think it would make a much more interesting story to have them struggling with the fact that they DON'T have romance options as soon as they'd like. I'm thinking a few people could maybe RELATE to that!

3. By far my biggest concern: Netflix's crappy service. I kid you not, every time we've tried the service out over the years, I get repeating freeze-ups with "loading circles". Just one or two seconds at a time. But when it's happening every two minutes or so it really screws up my ability to get immersed in the story. (And yes, similar streaming services like amazon and youtube work brilliantly on our same internet connection.) For that reason alone, it just isn't worth it for me to watch any of these shows. So sad.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series Empty Re: Lost In Space Trailer - A Netflix Original Series

Post  AdamCollings April 13th 2018, 8:47 pm

My Spoiler-free review

In short - watch this show!

Peater, that really sucks about your bad experiences with Netflix service. In my experience, Netflix tends to work better than anything else, because they have very effective compression algorithms to get the data to you fast without sacrificing quality. In fact, in my new house, I'm actually watching it in HD over wi-fi. With any luck this will eventually be released on DVD, as is the case with the most popular Netflix originals.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 10:35 pm