Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Need Opinions On CGC Site Layout

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Need Opinions On CGC Site Layout Empty Need Opinions On CGC Site Layout

Post  Paeter July 18th 2014, 12:43 pm

I'm considering changing the layout(just layout, not color scheme) of christiangeekcentral.com to be more like The Spirit Blade Underground to better showcase the new logo and more clearly "brand" the site.

The current layout has a small, thin header at the top, which I'm not sure would be best for our new logo. I like the clean look of the current CGC layout, though.

What do you think? Should I make the change to better showcase the new logo, or should I try to modify the logo to fit the long, thin header allowed by the current layout? Any other thoughts or ideas?

www.spiritblade.com
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Need Opinions On CGC Site Layout Empty Re: Need Opinions On CGC Site Layout

Post  CreatorsPixels July 19th 2014, 6:19 pm

If you have a logo you like and you plan to use it other places than the site, then I wouldn't change the logo. If you do it likely won't work as well with everything else you have planned for it. I can't see how it would hurt changing the site layout. It is simple and I have no issues with it but as long as by changing it you don't make it worse I think it would be fine. Maybe you can just change one sample page to get a feel for it. Then post that as a poll or something? Good luck!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate July 21st 2014, 4:46 pm

I like the clean look & feel of CGC. I find it easier to navigate than Spiritblade Underground, although that has nothing to do with the position of the logo but rather with the different overall layout (more "clutter") and the darker color scheme of SBU.
    So as long as you keep it clean, I think repositioning the logo to a more center stage position is fine.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 21st 2014, 4:57 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:If you have a logo you like and you plan to use it other places than the site, then I wouldn't change the logo.  If you do it likely won't work as well with everything else you have planned for it.  I can't see how it would hurt changing the site layout.  It is simple and I have no issues with it but as long as by changing it you don't make it worse I think it would be fine.  Maybe you can just change one sample page to get a feel for it.  Then post that as a poll or something?  Good luck!

Making a sample page might be tricky, but the layout would look very similar to The Spirit Blade Underground but with CGC color schemes. And this at the top:

Need Opinions On CGC Site Layout GreenCGC

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 22nd 2014, 8:41 pm

ComiKate wrote:I like the clean look & feel of CGC. I find it easier to navigate than Spiritblade Underground, although that has nothing to do with the position of the logo but rather with the different overall layout (more "clutter") and the darker color scheme of SBU.
    So as long as you keep it clean, I think repositioning the logo to a more center stage position is fine.

Okay, I've "de-cluttered" the SBU blog a bit now. Can you guys take another look at it and let me know what you'd think of the CGC site having the same layout(but with CGC colors and the above CGC logo at the top-center)?

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate July 25th 2014, 6:34 pm

Wow, that's some de-cluttering you did there, that's a great improvement! cheers 

As for your question, I still think your original idea is fine, as long as the nice clean look of the CGC homepage won't disappear into virtual nothingness…  Wink 
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike July 26th 2014, 10:23 am

Try it. Shrinking the logo I mean. Don't shrink the words, just the image. If you can adjust the height of the header bar, you might be able to find a compromise you like.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 1st 2014, 6:33 pm

mindspike wrote:Try it. Shrinking the logo I mean. Don't shrink the words, just the image. If you can adjust the height of the header bar, you might be able to find a compromise you like.

I can't adjust the height of the header bar. A notorious limitation of the current layout. But when I find some time I'll try shrinking the image and re-positioning the text of the new logo(the stacked text wont fit) and then I'll see what you guys think. Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim August 2nd 2014, 6:26 pm

I really like the current CGC layout. Like Kate said, it's clean, simple and easy to navigate. There has to be some way to modify that header to give us some better real estate for the graphic. I'm gonna look around and see if I can't offer a better suggestion.

<><

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 7:51 am