Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014 Empty Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014

Post  Paeter January 2nd 2015, 12:13 pm

Looking back on 2014 what were your top 3 geek experiences and why were they the best for you?

I primarily mean for "experiences" to be a placeholder that includes movies, games, books, comics, tv shows, etc. and am interested in what made the geeky thing awesome in and of itself. However, feel free to include experiences that were your best, but maybe not because of the geeky thing itself. (Perhaps instead because of the person or circumstances connected to your experience of it.)

My top three would probably be:

1. The 24 hr Extra-Life Marathon (until the last 6 hours anyway)
    Because as it turns out I own some great games that I haven't played in a long time, and NEVER have that kind of time to play in a single stretch. Awesome!!!

2. Playing Bioshock for the first time
    Because I enjoy the intensity of real-time action games but horribly suck at them. This game allowed me to explore and experience a dark, fascinating world, loot and upgrade RPG style, and shoot bad guys without dying and having to play the same part of a game over and over and over and over and over... Great fun!

3. Watching all of Breaking Bad for the first time (not technically geek fiction, but clearly designed by a geek and in many ways FOR a geek audience.)
    Because it was a character driven story that injected psychological realism, went to intense and dramatic places and kept me not just caring, but nearly agonizing over the outcome of these characters' lives. It had vigilantism, secret identities, cool gadgets and great villains... all without actually being a comic book story! Wow!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014 Empty Re: Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014

Post  Rickster January 2nd 2015, 3:41 pm

I can only think of one at the moment and that is running in the Inagural Avengers 5k and Half maration at Disneyland it was such a fun expierence despite the extremly high winds and the course didnt spend too much time in the park

Last edited by Rickster on January 10th 2015, 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014 Empty Re: Your Top 3 Geek Experiences Of 2014

Post  ComiKate January 7th 2015, 7:50 am

1. I fell in love with Star Wars all over again, thanks to the new animated series Star Wars Rebels. It made me rewatch the Clone Wars animated movie and I'm now deep into season 2 of the Clone Wars animated series. And: I have now donned my iPhone with an Ahsoka Tano skin, total awesomeness. Fandom Status: Rekindled!

2. I completed my TPB collection of the entire Geoff Johns run of Green Lantern. Which I crowned with the Abslute Edition of Rebirth, (birthday gift from my parents). Completist Urges: Satisfied!

3. I discovered not one but two new favorite comics series: Saga (which I reviewed on CGC and my own blog) and RAI, one of Valiant's new series. RAI also gifted me with a new favorite artist: Clayton Crayne, whose art kicks some serious b***! Quest for Hidden Gems: Completed!

Last edited by ComiKate on January 7th 2015, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve January 7th 2015, 4:30 pm

Clearly I haven't had a very geeky year - I tried, but only came up with two standout items of geekiness:

1. Raspberry Pi. Haven't used it all that much, but it has awakened the inner computer geek that has been sleeping since I mothballed my Amiga many years ago. And occasionally makes my eldest want to start learning to code, but she has the attention span of a 9 year old...

2. The Twelfth Doctor. Yeah, I'm a Doctor Who nerd, obviously, and it's always interesting to meet a new Doctor. And the fact that the Doctor is older than me again, as he should be, is a bonus.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter January 9th 2015, 12:50 pm

UKSteve wrote:

2. The Twelfth Doctor. Yeah, I'm a Doctor Who nerd, obviously, and it's always interesting to meet a new Doctor. And the fact that the Doctor is older than me again, as he should be, is a bonus.

I DID notice that casting choice and it intrigues me! Maybe they feel the audience is big enough that they can "risk" casting someone who isn't at least young OR beautiful in the lead? It's been my impression that it started hitting big in the states when they started casting what seemed to be the youngest docs of the show's entire history.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman January 10th 2015, 8:42 am

ComiKate wrote:
    3. I discovered not one but two new favorite comics series: Saga (which I reviewed on CGC and my own blog) and RAI, one of Valiant's new series. RAI also gifted me with a new favorite artist: Clayton Crayne, whose art kicks some serious b***! Quest for Hidden Gems: Completed!

RAI is really awesome! I think this is one of the few cases where I buy the comic more for the art than the story! (Although the story is great too!)
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman January 10th 2015, 8:47 am

Top Three in 2014:

1. My two year old daughter identified the Superman shield in church one Sunday morning to one of the children's workers. She said, "Superman"! When the worker asked her, "Do you know who Superman is?" My daughter responded, "Daddy." Very Happy

2. I met Charles Soule (Swamp Thing, She Hulk, Death of Wolverine, Superman/Wonder Woman) at Cherry Capital Comic Con. Because it's a small little con, I got to pick his brain for about a half hour. AND get a bunch of comics signed.

3. The leadership in my church bought me a Christmas present... An Alfred action figure from the Dark Knight Rises. (Now I can complete my working bat-signal). It's nice to see them love me in spite of my geekiness.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 11th 2024, 6:36 am