Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

The Remaining (2014 film)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

The Remaining (2014 film) Empty The Remaining (2014 film)

Post  AGoodReed October 16th 2021, 10:39 am

I watched The Remaining a month or so ago. I know you guys talked about it back when it was first getting publicity, but I never saw any reviews of it on here. It's a faith-based film about the Rapture and the beginning of the End Times. Unlike Left Behind, it's actually presented as a horror movie.

It's not great. It didn't look like a theatrical film. The CG was decent (better than Sharknado, for instance), and they were very conservative with it (unlike in Sharknado, for instance), but the camera style (or whatever you call it) looked cheaper than something that would be in a theater.

The acting was fine. I watched a bit of the behind the scenes stuff, and the actors all spent a lot of time together filming stock footage for the opening - hanging out, playing on the beach, goofing off, and other things that young groups of friends do together. It made their relationships believable on the screen, if nothing else. There was only one actress in the whole thing whom I recognized: Alexa PenaVega (nee Vega). I only know her from Repo: The Genetic Opera, though, which isn't one I would recommend.

Honestly, the filmmaking specs are tertiary to me. If it weren't for the next two problems, I'd probably actually recommend the film.

My second biggest qualm is with the adaptation of Revelation. After the Rapture happens, a few of the plagues detailed in Revelation happen, but not all of them, and not in the right order. Of the seven seals opened in Revelation 6 and 8, only one of them is shown to happen in the film: the great earthquake. Instead, they focus on the seven trumpets, but only a couple are heard. We get the massive hail and some fire, but I don't recall there being any water turned to blood (second trumpet) or wormwood (third trumpet).

They seem to skip from the first trumpet to the fifth when the "locusts" appear. They never show the "locusts" clearly, which is probably wise considering their budget, but the graphic novel adaptation (which I've read) depicts them as flying phantoms with zombie heads or something. They look like a death metal album cover, but not like Revelation describes them. And in the film, they only attack and kill people who are exercising faith. In Revelation, they're specifically send to torment anyone who isn't being faithful to God and doesn't have the seal of God on their forehead. Also, the Bible says they're not allowed to kill anyone.

But even all that is only secondary to my biggest issue: they never present the Gospel. A little bit of the Bible is read when one character looks up Revelation, but the name of Jesus is never even muttered. I don't think they even say anything about sin or the fall. It's just a bunch of generic "believe in God" and "live for God" talk. They never say what that means.

So as ambitious as the film is, I can't recommend the final product.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Remaining (2014 film) Empty Re: The Remaining (2014 film)

Post  Paeter October 18th 2021, 8:57 pm

Interesting choices. You sure its intended as a faith-based film? I wonder who their target audience is?

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed October 19th 2021, 6:46 am

Paeter wrote:Interesting choices. You sure its intended as a faith-based film? I wonder who their target audience is?

Well, it was produced by Affirm Films, which does predominantly faith-based movies like Soul Surfer, Overcomer, When the Game Stands Tall, etc. Every trailer on the DVD was for a faith-based film, which was weird to see before a horror movie.

Watching a little of the behind-the-scenes featurette, it seems like the director has a background of at least studying the Bible.

My guess is that the target audience is non-believing teens and young adults. It feels like a movie that's pushing some sort of faith in God. But it did have a contradictory message. I noticed one reviewer point out that the horror of the movie relies on the fear of death, but then it also presents death as "a promotion" because believers go to heaven when they die.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 20th 2021, 8:05 pm

[quote="AGoodReed"]
    Paeter wrote: I noticed one reviewer point out that the horror of the movie relies on the fear of death, but then it also presents death as "a promotion" because believers go to heaven when they die.

Yeah, I think horror, especially supernatural horror, written from a Christian perspective, may need to be about non-Christians to work best with the genre, with maybe a Christian character in a small supporting role.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed October 21st 2021, 8:00 am

Paeter wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:
    Paeter wrote: I noticed one reviewer point out that the horror of the movie relies on the fear of death, but then it also presents death as "a promotion" because believers go to heaven when they die.

Yeah, I think horror, especially supernatural horror, written from a Christian perspective, may need to be about non-Christians to work best with the genre, with maybe a Christian character in a small supporting role.

Most of the characters are non-believers for most of the movie (otherwise they would have been raptured). But I think the big mistake was that the filmmakers had the demon locusts only kill those who became believers. That makes it sort of like a win-win. If you don't believe, you're safe from the demons. If you do believe, you'll get to go to heaven ASAP.

There's probably a way to work good drama (if not horror) into that situation. Maybe a character is conflicted because if he believes, he won't be around to help his friends once the demons get him. But if he doesn't believe, he might die some other way and go to hell. But that would've required them to reveal that the demons only attack believers much earlier than they did.

Kind of makes the demons look stupid, actually. If they really wanted to get people, they'd kill them BEFORE they believed so that they wouldn't go to heaven. But the devil isn't renowned for his intelligence.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 11th 2024, 11:39 pm