Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Opposing Views in Games

Changer4
    Changer4

Activity : 63
    Geek-Cred : 0

Opposing Views in Games Empty Opposing Views in Games

Post  Changer4 February 1st 2015, 2:54 pm

Does anyone else get really bothered when they play a game that is clearly condemning Christianity or just religion in general? I'm not just talking about the extremes like Bioshock Infinite or FF10, but even a more moderate title, like the Soul's games for example (which I love), that just portrays religion in such a way that it appears undesirable. Heck even Dracula's comment at the beginning of Symphony of the Night just grates on me every time I hear it. I feel as if I shouldn't be as bothered by these things as I am in some cases and was just wondering if anyone else shares my sentiments or has any advice.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Opposing Views in Games Empty Re: Opposing Views in Games

Post  mindspike February 2nd 2015, 1:37 pm

John 15 (NIV) wrote:18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’
    And at the conclusion of the lesson....
    John 16 (NIV) wrote:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
    It bothers me as well, and think it is only because people generally don't like to be thought ill of. But there is little to be done about it. In the company of friends, I have sometimes made the comment that these things really aren't in the Bible or some such. In the company of my children, I make sure I take the time to correct false theology and point to actual scripture.

mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers February 2nd 2015, 2:01 pm

It bothers me a lot, but it isn't just gaming. I am reading a book series by a local writer and in it she says two things (I'll phrase it as close as I can) "One person can't save a whole world" and "Any world that could be saved by one person wouldn't be worth saving". Now, granted, it makes sense in the 'reality' of her book, but I don't think such things are in a vacuum, and I might have to have a chat with her some day.

One big problem I see is that these games, and books to a lesser extent, are written to an impressionable audience that will probably take the content at face value or just pick up on the general 'vibe'. I really see it as an attack on our kids, or maybe an attack on us through our kids.
    Things are so bad that when I read a book with a "religious" character who isn't an evil, power-mad, manipulative jerk or a bumbling idiot or part of a vast conspiracy, I get surprised. (Vaughn Heppner and Taylor Anderson are both authors who surprised me this way, lately)
    Even in the video games I like, which are heavy on strategy and low on storyline, you get items like "Council of Nicaea 323: In an effort to promote unity, Church leaders make a list of what books should make up the Bible. Although there are whispers that politics more than spirituality played into the decisions." Really? That, to me, is just a kick to the groin, there is no reason to put that in other than spite.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 3rd 2015, 3:44 pm

I used to get angry or frustrated, and still do sometimes if I think the material is high-profile and influential. But these days it mostly just makes me sad to see it, as it's symptomatic of people who are taking a tragic, self-destructive path. And from a straight entertainment angle I just find it boring and uncreative to "once again" make monotheistic religion look evil, ignorant or hypocritical. The latest offender for me is Dragon Age: Inquisition.

www.spiritblade.com
    Changer4
    Changer4

Activity : 63
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Changer4 February 4th 2015, 5:04 pm

Paeter wrote:I used to get angry or frustrated, and still do sometimes if I think the material is high-profile and influential. But these days it mostly just makes me sad to see it, as it's symptomatic of people who are taking a tragic, self-destructive path. And from a straight entertainment angle I just find it boring and uncreative to "once again" make monotheistic religion look evil, ignorant or hypocritical. The latest offender for me is Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I just finished Inquisition myself and while it didn't feel as antagonistic as some games I've played, I was constantly annoyed by Andrastinism's blatant attempts at taking Christianity's place, especially since the Maker isn't even an infallible God, his own Holy texts admit that he makes mistakes (the creation of spirits). This makes him more similar to a Greek God than anything, certainly not worthy of worship, and that's without even looking any deeper into the teachings of the Chantry. At least they didn't portray every Christian as unintelligent, being forced to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles right now and its doing just that. Its really just a bit insulting, and certainly not as open-minded as most of these works claim secular people are.

Oh well, At least Metroid Prime hasn't called me a bigot yet. Really enjoying it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 5th 2015, 10:56 am

Changer4 wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

I just finished Inquisition myself and while it didn't feel as antagonistic as some games I've played, I was constantly annoyed by Andrastinism's blatant attempts at taking Christianity's place, especially since the Maker isn't even an infallible God, his own Holy texts admit that he makes mistakes (the creation of spirits).  This makes him more similar to a Greek God than anything, certainly not worthy of worship, and that's without even looking any deeper into the teachings of the Chantry.

I wonder (as we only CAN wonder) what the intent is for creating and presenting a religion like this. I don't mean the PR answer they give, but in their "heart of hearts" what they hope to accomplish. Is it just simple entertainment by playing with a concept? Is it criticism of what they think Christianity or Catholicism is about? Which parts of Adrastanism do they think are identical to Christianity?

For example, you mentioned The Maker being more like a Greek god, which I would totally agree with. But many armchair critics of the Old Testament think of Yahweh as petty and flawed as well. So I wonder if the writers at Bioware are thinking to themselves "Hey, let's blend elements of Christianity and Greek polytheism and see what it looks like" or "Hey lets call out the god of the Bible on his pettiness".

I wonder something similar about the gamers who take note of Andrastanism and its teaching. Do they see a blend of polytheism and the Bible, or do they think the characterization of The Maker is just like Yahweh? Naturally its different for many, but I'd be FASCINATED if they would do a poll or something to find out.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 5:21 am