Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
mikel.withers
Paeter
6 posters

Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not? Empty Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not?

Post  Paeter September 17th 2015, 12:15 pm

I specify Extra-Terrestrial (and not "aliens") because the Bible arguably tells us there are Extra-Dimensional aliens, such as Angels and Demons.

My view on this has changed a few times over the years. I'd currently say that "there are probably no Intelligent Extra-Terrestrial aliens that we will interact with (or likely even discover) until after the creation of The New Heaven and The New Earth". (Revelation 21)

What do you guys think?

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not? Empty Re: Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not?

Post  mikel.withers September 17th 2015, 9:26 pm

I'm going to sound a bit like people I usually ridicule, for a moment:
    I lack a belief in intelligent extra-terrestrial life. I don't actively believe that there aren't.
    I do believe that there could be; I'd have to say if there is it is likely humans will never interact with them.
    I also think that if there are, it would point even more significantly toward an intelligent design of the universe.
    Also, and you can check out Untold Podcast episode 32: "Mission from the Dark Side... of the Universe" by yours truly albino if you want a glimpse at how interaction with ETs might go.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not? Empty Re: Do You Believe There Are Intelligent E.T. Life Forms Out There? Why or Why Not?

Post  Rickster October 19th 2015, 10:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if when we get to Heaven and find other species from different planets or worlds like in Narnia.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels October 21st 2015, 1:10 pm

Yeah, I can't see God creating outer worlds of people as a beta test first or anything. He told us of the angels (who are quite fantastical). Why hide another race from us? The Bible says the stars were created to keep time, not sustain other worlds. I'd be pretty surprised to find other "lifeforms" in heaven. Not that he couldn't, but I don't see any evidence for it. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy November 1st 2015, 1:05 am

I doubt we will find any kind of life out there, but I would find it incredible to discover any sentient life who seem to have souls.  If we found plants, animals, etc. it would not be that big of a deal to me.  But if we found sentient life, it would shake things up quite a bit.  It would take a pretty fundamental change in how I interpret the Bible to make sense of that.

A few, short reasons why:

1. I believe the Bible teaches that the *whole* of creation was affected by Adam's sin.  His sin kicked off a universe-wide degeneration of creation...death.  All of creation groans because of sin.  
    2. Sin is passed down from generation to generation...because of Adam.  Yet it doesn't seem just that others on a far planet (part of creation) would suffer because of our sins while they remain innocent.
    3. The Father sent the Son to die for the sins of the world.  If they are not innocent, I have a hard time believing that He would have to go to every other inhabited planet to die multiple times for each planet's sins.  I believe His sacrifice was unique and complete.
    4. All of the Bible is focused on the Earth.  For examples, He created Earth first...then the rest of the universe; and Jesus became a human to die for the sins of the world.

So, while I don't think these points are necessarily insurmountable, it would take some prayer and searching the Scriptures to make sense of otherwise.

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate November 1st 2015, 12:13 pm

I agree with Whiteboy.

To which I would add that the bible tells us that all of creation is in bondage to decay and waiting for the sons of God to be revealed. (Rom. 8:19-23)

Which, to me, means that there is no alien life to be expected anywhere, at least not until after we've reached our final destination.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers November 6th 2015, 10:49 am

I really don't think it matters too much, but as a mental exercise I present the following.

@Whiteboy, I'm going to start with your second point:
    Sin is passed down from generation to generation...because of Adam. Yet it doesn't seem just that others on a far planet (part of creation) would suffer because of our sins while they remain innocent.
    Would they remain innocent? Adam and Eve sinning introduced imperfection into the "natural world". From that point on, nothing merely "natural" could ever be perfect again. I see no reason that intelligent life hundreds of light-years away would not be similarly effected by that. It might seem unfair, I suppose, but I think it would just magnify how great a crime was the sin of Adam and Eve. Perhaps it wasn't simply their eyes that were opened to Good and Evil, but the whole of the universe.
    From that, your point #1 would follow: death is introduced to the whole universe, not simply the Earth.
    3 The Father sent the Son to die for the sins of the world. If they are not innocent, I have a hard time believing that He would have to go to every other inhabited planet to die multiple times for each planet's sins. I believe His sacrifice was unique and complete.
    Why would the Son have to go to every other inhabited planet? Would not His perfect sacrifice be sufficient for all? Besides scale, what difference is the distance between Judea and Japan and the Earth and Seti Alpha 5?
    Imagine if John 20:29 was not only referencing us, ("Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.") but also referring to those from Dantooine who listen to the prophets sent to them about the sacrifice halfway across the known universe?
    4. All of the Bible is focused on the Earth. For examples, He created Earth first...then the rest of the universe; and Jesus became a human to die for the sins of the world.
    Well, yes, the Bible was written to the people of the Earth. Perhaps we are only the firstfruits (James 1:18)of His creation, not the sum total of it?
    If we accept something like Fermi's Paradox (if there were intelligent life out there we should have found it or be found by it already) to mean that we will never contact intelligent alien life, then it would be strange to have the Bible reference them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 8:23 pm