Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us?

Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us? Empty Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us?

Post  Rohelf September 15th 2010, 10:23 am

Well, no one else seems to have jumped on this one yet, so I'll go first.

I've got to admit, the only explanation that I could ever come up with was that God must be a little nutty and/or masochistic. I mean, if a person came up to us and told us they were going all out for someone who didn't care about them, we'd tell them that was an unhealthy relationship that they should just walk away from. We'd point out all the logical and tactical reasons why this was a bad idea and a lost cause. We'd try to steer them away however we could. And if they even hinted that this ultimate display of love for the uncaring might involve hurting themselves, I think most of us would take away their sharp objects and try to get them to a professional. And yet, that's pretty much what God did for us. Something that would net a mortal a trip to a nice padded room.

Kind of pretzels your brain, doesn't it?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us? Empty Re: Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us?

Post  Paeter September 15th 2010, 8:52 pm

Yeah, this is a tough one. More than tough. Personally, I can only guess.

A respected theologian whose name escapes me was once asked near the end of his long life of scholarship "What is the most profound theological concept you've wrestled with in your years of study?" He paused for a moment and answered, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us? Empty Re: Coffeehouse: WHY did God give his son for us?

Post  WhiteBoy September 16th 2010, 11:30 am

Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.
    Hehe...I really like the irony of this being a children's song.

I don't have a real answer either; it's the great mystery. There are some hints that we get from the Bible but He wants a relationship with us...for whatever reason. It's certainly not because we deserve it, as was the point of this week's verses. He is creating a bride for His Son and it is all ultimately to glorify Him. I guess the way that He is accomplishing this will bring the most glory to Him.

It definitely pretzels the brain.

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster September 16th 2010, 3:54 pm

God loves you me and Billy Grahm as much as he loves Manson Hitler and Ben Ladin. God hating someone is like one of us not sinning it's his very nature to love and a God of love can't just let someone go to Hell without having away to coming to Salvation and it's such an easy way too
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 16th 2010, 7:18 pm

Rickster wrote:God loves you me and Billy Grahm as much as he loves Manson Hitler and Ben Ladin. God hating someone is like one of us not sinning it's his very nature to love and a God of love can't just let someone go to Hell without having away to coming to Salvation and it's such an easy way too

Yeah. It's amazing to me when I think about how you can't have perfect love and perfect justice outside of the Cross. All other religions lean toward one or the other, but because of the Cross, God is able to exercise both complete love AND complete justice in his dealings with us.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy September 17th 2010, 10:22 am

Yeah. It's amazing to me when I think about how you can't have perfect love and perfect justice outside of the Cross. All other religions lean toward one or the other, but because of the Cross, God is able to exercise both complete love AND complete justice in his dealings with us.
    Awesome to think about!

Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike September 18th 2010, 12:47 am

Paeter wrote:A respected theologian whose name escapes me was once asked near the end of his long life of scholarship "What is the most profound theological concept you've wrestled with in your years of study?" He paused for a moment and answered, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

This anecdote is most often attributed to Karl Barth, famous in part for his rejection of liberal protestantism, his views of biblical inerrancy, his explanation of Election as a doctrine. I've not found a reliable original source for this quote, however. And it has been attributed to several other theologians, including Spurgeon and Wesley.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 8th 2024, 12:43 pm