Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Favorite Dungeon Crawl Board Games

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Favorite Dungeon Crawl Board Games Empty Favorite Dungeon Crawl Board Games

Post  Paeter September 27th 2016, 9:32 am

I've been a fan of them since playing Heroquest in Jr. High, followed by Descent and a few others. 1st Edition Descent is probably my favorite, but it's hard to play with my gaming buddy anymore. We just know the rules and strategies too well and our games tend to fall into boring strategic grooves that neither of us can break out of. After awhile (and it took a LONG while. Years.) it also starts to feel overly complex or slow. So for the most part there's no going back to that game for me until some new players want to learn and play it with me.

Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game has scratched some of that itch the last few years. But there is nothing like actually exploring a 3d dungeon with minis. D&D can be great for that, but expensive, and the prep time for me as the GM is more than I want. So my radar is scanning again for a new board game.

I recently picked up "Galaxy Defenders", a sort of sci-fi "almost dungeon crawl" campaign based board game. Fully co-op with looting elements and character progression. It's definitely my replacement for Doom: The Board Game now, although it's still fairly crunchy and both set-up and gameplay take awhile, especially combined.

But now the same studio is preparing to release a fantasy dungeon crawler using an evolution of the same system. (Getting flashbacks to the origins of "Descent" sprionging out of the "Doom" system back in the day!) Fully co-op, with all the looting and exploration elements that are missing from Descent 2nd edition. Still listed as coming out this year, but I haven't seen it listed in Game Trade Magazine yet. It looks frickin rad.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Favorite Dungeon Crawl Board Games Empty Re: Favorite Dungeon Crawl Board Games

Post  mindspike September 27th 2016, 10:39 am

HeroQuest is awesome. I still break out our set from time to time. For dungeon crawls these days we're playing D&D 5e.

Does Hero Scape / Arena of the Planeswalkers count? It's not exactly a dungeon crawl, more of a tactical wargame, but it feels like the spiritual successor to HeroQuest.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 28th 2016, 9:38 am

mindspike wrote:

Does Hero Scape / Arena of the Planeswalkers count? It's not exactly a dungeon crawl, more of a tactical wargame, but it feels like the spiritual successor to HeroQuest.

The first time I played that I saw the dice and how combat worked and couldn't believe how close it was to heroquest.

Speaking of, after posting yesterday morning I played a game of HQ with my boys after school. It doesn't hold my interest longer than an hour these days, but it's still a pretty good hour with my boys!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 1:24 pm