Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Any (Geeky) Plans For The Summer?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Any (Geeky) Plans For The Summer? Empty Any (Geeky) Plans For The Summer?

Post  Paeter May 22nd 2017, 11:15 am

I realize that plenty of folks aren't scheduling their lives around the public school calendar, but even so there seems to be an increase in vacation-y kinds of activities in the summer months.
    I'm curious who has plans, what they are and whether or not they have a geeky component.

This is the last week of school for our boys, which means until mid-August I'll have to find ways to keep them busy and try to get work done at the same time. I tell myself each summer not to stress about maintaining the same productivity level during the summer and I usually stress some anyway. But this year I'm hoping to beat that monkey off my back and give myself permission to fall behind a little. Much of that is about reducing my own stress, but I'd also like to get better at spending time with my boys. Last summer they both enjoyed playing D&D and Heroquest for limited periods. This year they are both much stronger readers and I think might take to geeky board games even more as a result. So I want to give some more time to them if I can.

As for actual vacation, we're taking a trip to Pennsylvania to visit Holly's family in the first half of July. While we're there we're going on a short road trip with a total 10 hrs of driving, so I'm budgeting for the purchase of 1-2 new games to play on my Vita (I don't think I'll be the driver) which I'm very much looking forward to.

And before then is E3, which is kind of like nerd-Christmas for me. Because of the nature of my work I can justify spending a few days in a row learning about new games and just celebrating the hobby in general. It's also something of a social event, as I host an open house for one or more days of the press conferences.

Apart from that, we don't really have plans. We had already budgeted for our trip before the move, and now that the move is done and we're tallying up costs (for both the move and our new status quo of expenses) our budget for family fun is pretty much zero. But the boys don't seem to mind. The house came with a pool and I think that's how they'll gladly spend much of their summer.

How about you?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Any (Geeky) Plans For The Summer? Empty Re: Any (Geeky) Plans For The Summer?

Post  Rickster May 22nd 2017, 3:12 pm

Going to a Kingdom Hearts Orchestra concert in June and a Harry Potter themed Obstacle Race in July
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson May 22nd 2017, 8:55 pm

Unless something changes, my wife and I will be in the States in August. I'm considering going to the live Mystery Science Theater 3000 event in Kansas City, Kansas, but it'll be a couple days after I get there, so we'll see how awake I am (and how much tickets cost).

If that doesn't happen, I'll at least go to a local pro wrestling show. That's geeky enough.

Of course, I'll also have to do things with my wife and my family, go to a baseball game, visit the doctor and dentist at least once each, return to my home church, and see old friends. That's a lot to do in three weeks.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 23rd 2017, 10:18 am

Reed Benson wrote:Unless something changes, my wife and I will be in the States in August.

Dude, that's so cool! Enjoy your visit!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 23rd 2017, 10:20 am

Rickster wrote:Going to a Kingdom Hearts Orchestra concert in June and a Harry Potter themed Obstacle Race in July

For second I asked myself, "How does he always have all these cool entertainment-based things to do near his home?" Then I remember, "Oh yeah, he lives in CA."

Enjoy those perks, man! That concert especially sounds cool to me!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi May 23rd 2017, 12:35 pm

I thought I responded to this. Hmmm…Paeter must be deleting my posts.

A few weeks ago the family went to Robot City Games, the largest arcade in NY. They have nearly 120 video games and pinball machines. Lots of retro games that cost only a quarter! Pic here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUaHo0XFT3D/

Taking some of the kids to TN to view the solar eclipse in August. I'm also going to try and get out to Funspot in NH. It's the largest arcade in the world. We went there a few years ago and it was a blast!

I'm also trying to speak at the Games in Education Symposium in early August.

Other than that, no definitive plans.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 24th 2017, 8:34 am

jorowi wrote:I thought I responded to this. Hmmm…Paeter must be deleting my posts.

LOL! That's right. I won't have any more of your good-natured warmth and friendliness around here!

Those plans sound awesome! Thanks for including the links!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster May 24th 2017, 2:53 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Rickster wrote:Going to a Kingdom Hearts Orchestra concert in June and a Harry Potter themed Obstacle Race in July

For second I asked myself, "How does he always have all these cool entertainment-based things to do near his home?" Then I remember, "Oh yeah, he lives in CA."

Enjoy those perks, man! That concert especially sounds cool to me!

yeah there is a lot to do here sadly sometimes I learn about something to late to go. Like the Legend of Zelda escape room they had a few months back but when I tried to get tickets they were all sold out

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 5:37 pm