Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Re-Introduction Thread

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Re-Introduction Thread Empty Re-Introduction Thread

Post  jorowi July 18th 2017, 1:55 pm

We've been getting some new members over the last few months and it's great to know why you're here and what interests you. Some of us have been members of this forum for five or more years. With that in mind, I'd like anyone who has been a forum member for over 3 years to reintroduce themselves. Please, no responses. Just reintroduce yourself. I'll start.

Hi, I’m John Wilkerson. I’m a Husband, Dad, Podcaster, Blogger, Writer, and Speaker.

Since I was a kid I’ve loved technology. My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20. My first gaming console was an Atari 2600. Saturday morning cartoons were my crack and every weekend I went down to the PX and bought comic books with my allowance off the rack.

These days I'm a casual gamer and most of my geek entertainment comes vicariously through podcasts and YouTube. I enjoy cerebral sci-fi (Advantageous is a good example) as well as just popcorn cinema (MCU, Star Wars, etc.) and everything in between (Dark Matter, iZombie). I no longer read any comic books but I'll pick up a TPB from the library every now and then. The last sci-fi novel I read was Thrawn. I do like fantasy but I'm very choosy when it comes to what appeals to me in that genre.

I've been podcasting since August 2005 and currently have two active podcasts: The Wired Homeschool and 10 the Podcast. I listen to about 20 hours of podcasting a week (at 1.5x speed) while commuting or walking.

I started my journey with Christ in June of 1988 (crap, 30 years next year!) and have been to many different types of churches. I'm currently an elder in my church and lead a weekly Bible study and teach on Sunday morning once or twice a quarter. I even fill in for Sunday school once in a while.

Who's next?

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Re-Introduction Thread Empty Re: Re-Introduction Thread

Post  AdamCollings July 18th 2017, 8:28 pm

Good idea John.

I'm the resident Aussie. Coming to you from Tasmania, at the bottom of the world (or is it the top?)

I'm the author of the up-coming Jewel of The Stars space opera series and have contributed to Travis Perry's Medieval Mars anthology and the Crossover Alliance Superheroes anthology (among others)
    adamdavidcollings.com/books/jewellofthestars/

I do a monthly youTube news bulletin about science fiction and fantasy created by Christians (mostly books, but I throw in something from other media on occasion)
    youtube.com/user/collingsshow

When I'm not making up stories, imagining myself at the helm of the USS Enterprise, or travelling through the stargate, I develop asset management software for a consulting engineering company.

I've been a Superman fan longer than my earliest memory, and Man of Steel is my favourite movie. I love time travel, and the fantasy novels of Brandon Sanderson.

My wife is a registered nurse, and we have a daughter and a son.

At my church, I'm a vision mixer for the streaming video of our services, which can be viewed live, or on demand at www.door-of-hope.org/media

I occasionally like digging up historical artefacts, such as this - my original welcome post from 2013. Interesting how some things change (and some don't)
    https://spiritblade.forumotion.com/t1327-new-member-beams-in-from-tasmania
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 19th 2017, 11:13 am

I'm Paeter Frandsen. After 4 years in church staff worship ministry (two years as a worship pastor) I stepped down to create Spirit Blade Productions in 2006, with a focus on producing Christian sci-fi/fantasy audio dramas. SBP later gave birth to a weekly podcast for Christian Geeks (The Spirit Blade Underground Podcast) and eventually Christian Geek Central.

I've been married to my patient and enduring wife Holly for over 15 (16?) years, who makes all of this possible through her daily grind at work to support our family and my work for SBP and CGC. We have two boys ages 6 and 9.

My college degree is for Performance Voice (classical singing) and I'm a passionate layperson when it comes to scripture, collecting an assortment of academic resources that have been super helpful and rewarding. I've also been mentored for nearly 10 years by a formally educated Greek-fluent elder at our church, which has been a fantastic opportunity and pleasure. I attend Red Mountain Community Church in Mesa, AZ (rmcchurch.org) and hold to an evangelical view of the Bible (though not an "evangelical" view of politics, as that term is used, associated and portrayed in that arena. "Surveyed evangelicals still hate everyone. Film at 11.").

From teenage years until about three years ago I was a weekly buyer of numerous comics, mostly DC. Green Lantern is my favorite superhero concept of all time. But shifts in focus at DC, as well as my growing preference for video gaming, led me to slowly and eventually drop the regular purchase of any comics outside putting some used TPBs on my Christmas list each year. Still LOVE superheroes though!

Throughout college I ran a DC Heroes PnP campaign and still love PnP RPGs today, playing a nasty old wizard in my D&D group.

I mostly play console video games, largely focusing on RPGs of all kinds (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Kingdoms Of Amalur Reckoning, Diablo Clones, Dragon Age: Origins, Shadow Hearts and most Final Fantasy Games) and open world action games with strong RPG elements (Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row). I also like some "story shooters" like Bioshock, Singularity and Prey.

Don't really read fiction these days apart from Knights Of The Dinner Table. But I love character-driven, serious and intense fiction like Terry Goodkind's "Sword Of Truth" series and ESPECIALLY Brent Weeks' "Night Angel Trilogy". (Also still like coming back to Terry Brook's Shannara series.)

Not into much TV these days, but love movies, and usually of the same type as books. I care about relatable characters much more than plot and prefer serious stories, since my sense of humor tends to be a bit weird or dark and not what is usually employed in more light or "fun" movies. Despite liking serious stories though, I also appreciate dramatic spectacle. Zack Snyder somehow knows exactly how to make my jaw drop AND my eyes to tear up. Possibly my favorite director right now.

Not to neglect TV of the past, though. Loved Breaking Bad and Battlestar Galactica. Currently still enjoying The Walking Dead. And for my money, Farscape is the most exciting, moving and on every level satisfying TV series I've ever seen in my entire life. I've yet to watch a show I enjoy on as many levels and to the same degree that I enjoy that show.

In recent years my love for tabletop gaming has resurged. I love Descent 1st Edition, Mage Knight The Board Game, HeroQuest, Doom, Pathfinder The Adventure Card Game and new favorites include Galaxy Defenders and One Deck Dungeon. (I'm also digging into the rules and components for my recently arrived copy of Sword & Sorcery!) I really only play co-op games and have discovered recently that, apart from social purposes, I prefer solo tabletop gaming.

And despite possibly coming across on podcasts/videos as energetic or outgoing, I'm a huge introvert and usually prefer being by myself.

www.spiritblade.com
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz July 22nd 2017, 1:04 pm

Hello, all!
    My name is Noah Howard.
    I'm a college graduate with a credit in Dig9tal Media and I might take it a bit further with personal studies in drawing (as suggested, on my own time).

When it comes to my taste in geek-dom, I prefer retro stuff and classical literature (even though that second term is very blanket-y and doesn't describe some of the other stuff, like stories written by writers living in the 1800s who wrote for business, AKA, hack writers)! The only exceptions to the rule are modern audio dramas, visual novels, mobile games, foreign media (yes, that counts), and internet shows.

Right now, I mostly listen to the Sonic Society podcast, which acts as advertisement for the many audio dramas that want to be under its banner. One of the shows featured is Alba Silax, which follows a hapless apothecary owner with two trainees, a fairy and a monk, who are trying to look after her two gullible royal relatives who hired a two-faced rival that has dreams of taking over the kingdom.

For my favorite movies, I like most of the *OLD* Disney films, Monty Python And The Holy Grail, The Swan Princess, Young Frankenstein, Robin Hood: Prince fo Thieves, and Quest for Camelot.

For favorite video games, Final Fantasy, up to the 90s, Hourglass of Summer, the original three Spyro games, and Crazy Castle II.

I'm trying my best to break out of my autistic shell (it's easy if I'm prodded) and I'm trying to remember to ride on my bicycle, even if it's just to get some air.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 4:59 am