Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Extra-Life Time!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Extra-Life Time! Empty Extra-Life Time!

Post  Paeter September 28th 2017, 9:21 am

Next week I'll probably post my first fundraising video. But for now I'll just repost this one here! There is no deadline for joining the team (we fundraise until November 4th, but technically Extra-Life fundraising can be done till end of year) but I'll be sending out e-mails with tips and encouragement to team members throughout October. So the sooner you can jump on board, the better!

Our team is currently a Tremendous Trio, but I'd love to become a Fantastic Four, a Fearsome Five, a Sinister Six or more! So if you haven't already, please check out this video and genuinely consider joining our team! It's a lot of fun and also a good exercise in thinking outside of ourselves!

Extra-Life Info And Sign Up

www.spiritblade.com
    fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169
    Geek-Cred : 1

Extra-Life Time! Empty Re: Extra-Life Time!

Post  fxruizx October 2nd 2017, 10:35 am

Hey Paeter - just a heads up that I invited a new friend of mine to join the CGC team, and he will let me know this coming sunday if he is...game for it Wink . Hope that is ok though - I seem to remember you saying on the podcast or youtube that we could invite others to be a part, but if I got that wrong, very sorry!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 2nd 2017, 12:16 pm

fxruizx wrote:Hey Paeter - just a heads up that I invited a new friend of mine to join the CGC team, and he will let me know this coming sunday if he is...game for it Wink . Hope that is ok though - I seem to remember you saying on the podcast or youtube that we could invite others to be a part, but if I got that wrong, very sorry!

Yes yes! Invite! Invite! Thank you!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 19th 2017, 10:15 am

Here's an update on Extra-Life fundraising AND rewards you can get for donating!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 24th 2017, 9:23 am

Our team is at $851 raised! That means that Spirit Blade (Legacy Edition), Spirit Blade (Special Edition), Spirit Blade: Dark Ritual (Legacy Edition) and Spirit Blade: Dark Ritual (Special Edition) have been unlocked for the Free Download Day on November 8th at spiritblade.com! If we reach $900 (just $49 away!) then Spirit Blade: A World Of Shadows (Legacy Edition) will be unlocked, and at $950 the Special Edition will be unlocked, too!

If the code below works, you can watch the video update I uploaded to facebook yesterday. Otherwise you can scroll down to see an e-mail I recently sent out to friends and family.

Code:
    <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpaeter.frandsen%2Fvideos%2F10213029238318565%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Fundraising for Extra-Life has been going really well this year, thanks to those of you who have already donated or helped spread the word. Thank you!

But there are still members of our team who haven't reached their fundraising goal! So I'm still sounding the trumpet until they reach the finish line!

With about two weeks left before our team deadline of November 5th, I thought I might answer what may be an unspoken question of yours. "Why is he specifically fundraising for 'Extra-Life' instead of a Christian charity or some other good cause?"

I AM a Christian who is passionate about supporting efforts and organizations who specifically represent Christ while they provide for the tangible needs of others. But I also believe that God is sovereign, and will ultimately and rightfully get the spotlight even through good work done by those who don't believe in or follow him. And although it's not a Christian organization, Extra-Life does something unique that no other charity I know of does. It specifically engages geeks in thinking outside of themselves.

Something true of many geeks (certainly true of myself) is a tendency toward self-absorption and seclusion. Not necessarily out of a dislike of others. Sometimes out of self-defense due to past wounds, and sometimes just because we love our hobbies so much we're largely content to be left alone with them and not stay in touch with the world around us.

Extra-Life, I believe, is a great "first step" or "practice" in selflessness for many of us geeks who find it difficult to set aside comforts to think of others first. It involves some personal stretching, since it's difficult and awkward to ask people for money. And yet it's enticing, since it's a great excuse to plan a special gaming event, like the 24-hour gaming marathon I'm doing on November 4th.

So if you'd like to play a part in encouraging the selflessness of some Geeks who are trying to live life on purpose (and help some kids in urgent need along the way), there is still plenty of time to donate any amount to our team's fundraising efforts.

You can find our team roster at the link below. Note that I've reached my fundraising goal. Please consider donating to any team member who hasn't yet reached $100 in fundraising! (Then please let me know you've done so! You can still earn MY rewards for your donation to THEIR fundraising!)

Team Page:
    https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.teamParticipants&teamID=35187

My Page (For rewards info):
    https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=263488

Thanks for your consideration,

-Paeter

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 1st 2017, 10:10 am

So excited to see how God has grown and blessed our Extra-Life efforts this year! As I write this our team has raised $1,136!

I still have two unclaimed song and game rewards! So if you've donated (or plan to donate) the appropriate amount for one of those rewards to a CGC Team member other than me, be sure to let me know if you have a song/game request by the end of tomorrow, Nov. 2nd!

Meanwhile I'm beginning prep today for my 24-hour live stream this Saturday, bracing for... well, I don't know what.

Last year nausea kept me from reaching the finish line by a mere 45 minutes. And while I think it was better than any previous Extra-Life in terms of being a community event, it was by far the least pleasurable Extra-Life for me, since a terrible night of sleep beforehand made the entire stream a struggle and generally sucked a lot of fun out of my game playing.

This year I'm doing everything I can to avoid those same problems. My handy-dandy pharmacist wife will be helping me choose the maximum, yet safe dosage of sleep aid to help ensure a good night of sleep, and I will be avoiding Five-Hour Energy, which I'm confident was the source of my nausea. I also didn't tap into my caffeine pills as much as I could have last year. Each is worth 2 cups of coffee and unlike Pepsi don't cause any noticeable energy crash for me, so I will have a bunch cut in half to take as needed in the later hours of the marathon.

I've also got a number of games I'm really looking forward to sinking time into. About a week ago, after being disappointed in the game "Elex", I was concerned I might not have more than a couple games I'd be excited to play during the marathon. But after buying two games I'd saved up for, buying two more on the cheap, and rediscovering some classics, I feel like I might have the most promising Extra-Life line-up for my own enjoyment than I've ever had before!

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and Assassin's Creed: Origins both ended up being really fun for me and I also felt inspired to give Batman: Arkham Asylum another try (I SHOULD like those games, dangit!). On top of that, I recently started Assassin's Creed 3(enjoying that series!) & also bought Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which I'm surprised to be enjoying and making my way through on the easy difficulty. And I also re-discovered my love for two old games in my collection (Sacred 2: Fallen Angel & Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters). Really look forward to sinking my teeth into them.

I've also done some prep on my "scary" titles, loading up saves to remind myself of where I left off and what I need to do next. Good grief, if I don't have to tap into Dead Space or P.T. to keep myself awake, I won't. Dead Island may be plenty scary enough. (Heck, even Call Of Duty might be intense enough to get me to the end.) Although who knows what those final hours will be like this time. This will be the first year that I will not have anyone sitting and talking with me from 2-5am. I will have someone there with me from 5-6am, but the hours just before that are still among the toughest to keep awake!

Alright, enough blabbing. Time to exercise and then get to cleaning and prep! If you missed it at christiangeekcentral.com, below you can see the schedule for my live stream. Hope to see you there!

The Official Christian Geek Central Extra-Life 24-Hour Live Stream begins this Saturday, November 4th at 6am Pacific Time! The following is an outline of some events and content for the stream, including game content ratings for those of you with families to plan around. Details are subject to change, especially in later hours, and all times given refer to Pacific Standard Time.

You can watch the live stream at christiangeekcentral.com or at youtube.com/christiangeekcentral

6:00-9:00am (Game Content Rated T for Teen or lower)
    Possible Games Include: Justice League Heroes (PS2), Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters (Xbox 360), Bionic Commando (NES)

9:00-9:15 (Fundraising Thank Yous and Donor Song/Game Request Fulfillment)
    Current selections include:

Games- Barbie (NES), Kung Fu(NES)
    Songs- In Christ Alone, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

9:15-11:30am (Game Content Rated T for Teen or lower)
    Possible Games Include: Shadow Hearts: From The New World (PS2), Justice League Heroes (PS2),
    Green Lantern: Rise Of The Manhunters (Xbox 360), Bionic Commando (NES), Batman Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360), Final Fantasy 2 (PSTV)

11:30am-12:00pm LUNCH BREAK

12:00pm-1:00 (M-Rated Game Content Begins)

1:00pm-1:30pm (Paeter & Sons, Game Content Rated T for Teen or lower)

1:30-6:00pm (M-Rated Game Content Resumes)

6:00-6:30 DINNER BREAK

6:30-1:00 (M-Rated Game Content Continues.)

1:00-3:00am (M-Rated Game Content Continues. Intense "Stay-Awake" Games Begin.)
    Possible Games Include: Wolfenstein: The New Colossus(PS4), Alienation(PS4), Rage(Xbox 360),
    Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare(Xbox 360), Far Cry 4(PS4), Dead Island (Xbox 360), Prey(PS4)

3:00-6:00am (M-Rated Game Content Continues. "Scare-Me-Awake Horror Games")
    Possible Games Include: Dead Island (Xbox 360), PT (PS4), Dead Space (Xbox 360)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings November 1st 2017, 6:17 pm

Don't think I'm gonna be able to tune in this time, as I'll be getting ready to fly out for my cruise Sunday morning. I might drop in briefly while I have my breakfast though, which will probably be around 2:00 PM for you.

Have a great day of gaming!
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi November 2nd 2017, 9:08 am

I think puking on a live broadcast would get you a lot of views. Wink

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 2nd 2017, 12:10 pm

AdamCollings wrote:Don't think I'm gonna be able to tune in this time, as I'll be getting ready to fly out for my cruise Sunday morning. I might drop in briefly while I have my breakfast though, which will probably be around 2:00 PM for you.

Have a great day of gaming!

Thanks, Adam! Enjoy that cruise! Excited for you!! Looking forward to hearing about it afterward!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 2nd 2017, 12:14 pm

jorowi wrote:I think puking on a live broadcast would get you a lot of views. Wink

Oh, believe me, the thought crossed my mind last year. I even considered just triggering my gag reflex to get it over with. But with me, vomiting can start a cycle of vomiting that goes for hours. And at that point I needed to be able to sleep so I could wake up and relieve my wife from her duties in the afternoon.

But if the nausea were to come on earlier... I might just let it/make it happen and see if I could keep going for awhile.

Stay tuned!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 3rd 2017, 4:05 pm

In case you didn't see it on the website, Francisco is doing a live stream tonight for Extra-Life!:

Francisco Ruiz (of The Retro Rewind Podcast):

Friday, November 3rd, 7:30pm-12:30am Pacific Time at retrorewindpodcast.com/live

Schedule
    7:30pm-8:00 - Mario DDR
    8:10-8:40 - Street Fighter 2 Challenge
    8:40-8:50 - Push-up Challenge
    8:50-9:30 - Mega Man X
    9:40-10:10 - Crazy Taxi
    10:20-11:00 - Lil Tanks
    11:10-12:00am - FTL: Faster Than Light
    12:10-12:30 - Metal Slug (1 quarter)

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 6th 2017, 2:11 pm

Well, the stream had some serious problems because of local outages in my area of town. So I decided to cut the stream early rather than put out a stream that would be potentially off-putting or frustrating. But I did continue recording my entire marathon offline and look forward to editing it down and sharing it in the coming months. (Things got pretty kooky in the late hours!)

Thank you so much to everyone who donated, spread the word, watched (or tried) my stream, or did anything else to support the efforts of CGC Extra-Life team members.

It was a HUGE success over all, as we raised over $400 more than we've ever raised before! Our goal was $750 and we brought in over $1,100 for Children's Hospitals!

It was so cool to see what God brought about through team members, donors and this community as a whole. Thank you so much for being a part of that. I'm already looking forward to next year!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 6:49 am