Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Light Gun Shooter Games

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Light Gun Shooter Games Empty Light Gun Shooter Games

Post  Reed Benson September 29th 2017, 4:54 am

Paeter's thread about first-person shooters suddenly got me thinking about possibly my favorite type of arcade game, the light gun shooter. Has anyone else ever been a fan of these? I know most of them don't have deep stories or fleshed out characters, but there's something about holding a plastic handgun and trying to pop off the bad sprites while avoiding the good ones (and yelling at them when they get in the way).

Aside from Duck Hunt, the first light gun game I remember was Lethal Enforcers. I used to play that at the bowling alley sometimes, and I think I played on of SEGA Genesis at home a few times (though I had to use the controller then). The ones that really hooked me were the Time Crisis games. The hiding gimmick was a lot of fun, though I always hated having a time limit. I actually have a light gun for my PS2 back in the States, and I own Time Crisis, Time Crisis II, and Time Crisis: Crisis Zone.

The weirdest light gun game I've ever played on console was Resident Evil: Dead Aim. It's the only Resident Evil game I've ever played, actually. It's kind of a hybrid game where you actually control your character as they walk around (using a D pad on the back of the gun) until you see zombies. Then you push a button to enter first-person mode and start shooting. It sounds complicated, but I beat the thing, so it can't be that hard.

Anyone have any favorite light gun games?

fxruizx
    fxruizx

Activity : 169

Light Gun Shooter Games Empty Re: Light Gun Shooter Games

Post  fxruizx September 29th 2017, 9:42 am

Duck Hunt was my first as well Very Happy. I think the furthest I ever got in a light gun game was House of the Dead I or II. But probably my favorite iteration of lightgun arcade games was the Silent Scope sniper game - loved the gimmick of looking through an actual scope to snipe baddies
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 29th 2017, 9:56 am

Oh dude, these are fun! I'm kinda surprised they didn't take off more than they have on home consoles. Maybe it's the barrier to entry requiring new hardware in addition to a game.
    I rarely played them, but always loved the rare instances in arcades. The one I for sure remember playing was a Terminator 2 game. I think you use an uzi or machine gun and just cut loose. Skinless T-800s popping up all over, mowing them down. Good times.

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406

Post  Reed Benson September 29th 2017, 10:23 pm

Paeter wrote:The one I for sure remember playing was a Terminator 2 game. I think you use an uzi or machine gun and just cut loose. Skinless T-800s popping up all over, mowing them down. Good times.

I remember seeing that one at the other bowling alley in town. I think I played it once. Those T-800 popping up right in my face creeped me out a bit.

fxruizx wrote:I think the furthest I ever got in a light gun game was House of the Dead I or II. But probably my favorite iteration of lightgun arcade games was the Silent Scope sniper game - loved the gimmick of looking through an actual scope to snipe baddies

I seem to recall the House of the Dead game I played having bigger guns. Those were fun. Don't think I ever beat that first boss, though.

I never did play Silent Scope, though I saw it everywhere.

Forgot to mention this one...I don't know the name because I can't read Japanese, but this game has sensors so you actually move your body to dodge the bullets. My friend Jake and I found it when I was visiting him in Japan in 2011. I played it after him, and my quads were killing me from all the squatting I had to do to dodge.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 11:20 am