Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Shazam set photos

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Shazam set photos Empty Shazam set photos

Post  Reed Benson March 11th 2018, 4:44 am

Saw these set pics from the Shazam movie on Facebook:

Shazam set photos 28685410
    Shazam set photos 28958410
    Shazam set photos 28958810

And these two are from @TheNerdRagePod on Twitter:

Shazam set photos Freddi10
    Shazam set photos Sivana10

So that's Zachary Levi as Shazam (FKA Captain Marvel), Mark Strong as Dr. Sivana, and Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddie Freeman (Captain Marvel Jr.).

Anyone excited for this one? Anyone a fan of Shazam/Captain Marvel? I think Mark Strong looks great as a villain, but I'm a little iffy on Zachary Levi. He doesn't look like the powerhouse I imagine Shazam to be.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Shazam set photos Empty Re: Shazam set photos

Post  Paeter March 12th 2018, 9:18 am

Sweet! Thanks for these pics!

I'm with you, Reed. Strong as Sivana looks GREAT! Wondered who he was supposed to be, so thanks for clarifying. Cool re-interpretation!

I feel the same about Levi. I had doubts from the get go that he has the right build, and the suit look padded, which would confirm my suspicions.

BUT!

It could still work for me, and work really WELL, depending on how they treat the concept of Captain Marvel (oh crap, we have to call him Shazam these days, don't we) and how Levi performs it.

If the "look" of Captain Marvel (sorry, I can't do it quite yet) is based on Billy's imagination, I can see it being what a young kid would dream up who is a big fan of Superman. (It has the textured Man Of Steel look up close but from farther looks really bright and cartoony/silly.) In fact the character was originally published outside DC (but bought by them years later) and subject to a lawsuit for infringement of the Superman copyright because of the similarities!

If they play up the "born from a kid's imagination" thing, then the suit looking padded and a little silly would make total sense. TOTALLY hope they go that route.

And although I'm not absolutely confident, I can definitely see Levi knocking the performance out of the park.

I've not been especially drawn to Captain Marvel before, because like Superman I feel like the potential for the character is rarely if ever even close to fully used. But if they bring out the whole "kid in a grown-up body" idea, this movie could be funny, charming and even powerfully moving, nearly all at once.

Or it could be a bunch of jokes that fall flat in pursuit of what's popular. (sigh)

We'll see!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 12th 2018, 5:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I watched the Shazam TV show as a kid. Although I don't remember him being a kid that transformed into an adult. My memories of the show are of two guys who travelled around together. One of them transformed into a superhero whose suit looked just like the Shazam suit. I remember an episode where they went to a ghost town. I think Shazam rescued a kid from a derelict building.
    I also remember another episode. Right at the start, Shazam rescued a cat from a tree. My parents distracted me during this scene. I got extremely upset, arguing that "He only changes into a superhero once per episode, and now I've missed it!". Obviously I was wrong about this. But kid logic, hey.

Anyway, it was a long time ago and the memory is a bit hazy.

As an adult, I'm not overly interested in the idea of a kid who dreams of being a superhero, and turning into an adult, but it might just pull a "Spiderman Homecoming" and surprise me.
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson March 12th 2018, 6:35 pm

AdamCollings wrote:I'm pretty sure I watched the Shazam TV show as a kid. Although I don't remember him being a kid that transformed into an adult. My memories of the show are of two guys who travelled around together. One of them transformed into a superhero whose suit looked just like the Shazam suit. I remember an episode where they went to a ghost town. I think Shazam rescued a kid from a derelict building.
    I also remember another episode. Right at the start, Shazam rescued a cat from a tree. My parents distracted me during this scene. I got extremely upset, arguing that "He only changes into a superhero once per episode, and now I've missed it!".  Obviously I was wrong about this. But kid logic, hey.

Anyway, it was a long time ago and the memory is a bit hazy.

As an adult, I'm not overly interested in the idea of a kid who dreams of being a superhero, and turning into an adult, but it might just pull a "Spiderman Homecoming" and surprise me.

Was it this show?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter March 13th 2018, 12:02 pm

Oh man, that flying scene TOTALLY reminds me of "The Return Of Captain Invincible". (Which, if you haven't seen it, is possibly the weirdest superhero movie ever made.)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 13th 2018, 5:04 pm

Reed Benson wrote:
    Was it this show?

Yes. Pretty sure it was. These things are always less cheesy in my memory. lol.
    So they made Billy an older teen, rather than a kid. To my kid mind, he was just another adult.
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Post  Reed Benson March 13th 2018, 8:11 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    Reed Benson wrote:
    Was it this show?

Yes. Pretty sure it was. These things are always less cheesy in my memory. lol.
    So they made Billy an older teen, rather than a kid. To my kid mind, he was just another adult.

Yeah, he totally sounds like an adult in the clips I've seen. When he says, "SHAZAM!" his voice is not childlike at all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content