Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Shazam! Trailer

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Shazam! Trailer Empty Shazam! Trailer

Post  AdamCollings July 22nd 2018, 6:26 pm

Looks interesting. I'm hoping that I'll like this in the same way that I liked Spiderman: Homecoming. The jokey attitude and low stakes make sense for a kid superhero.
    I'm really struggling with the name "Shazam", though. So cheesy.  I know it's in the comic, but I kinda cringe when he says his name is Shazam. Even Billy can't take it seriously. "Are you for real?"
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Shazam! Trailer Empty Re: Shazam! Trailer

Post  jorowi July 23rd 2018, 8:24 am

Really looking forward to seeing what Zachary Levi does with the character. Really liked him in "Chuck".

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 23rd 2018, 5:40 pm

Oh man, I've got thoughts on this! Hopeful ones, jaded ones... so much potential for me to either love or hate this movie. I'll share more later this week!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike July 24th 2018, 2:20 pm

Oh, I want to like this movie. I really, really, really want to like this movie.... They had me right up until, "Dude, I don't even know how to pee in this thing!"

Captain Marvel (never, "Shazam") is supposed to have the wisdom of Solomon. There is so much here that could go so right or so very, very wrong. I guess we just .... wait.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 25th 2018, 3:55 pm

mindspike wrote:

Captain Marvel (never, "Shazam") is supposed to have the wisdom of Solomon. There is so much here that could go so right or so very, very wrong. I guess we just .... wait.

Yeah, it's gonna be tough to adjust to calling him Shazam. I don't know the history of exactly what happened, but my impression is that Marvel got the rights through some legal maneuvering, even though DC's Captain Marvel had the name even before he was at DC. I mean, he's actually a Golden Age "rip-off" of Superman, right? Did Marvel have their Captain Marvel around in the Golden Age?

Anyway, I'm with you Mindspike. And unfortunately the Wisdom of Solomon seemed completely absent here, unless of course we're talking about Solomon during his wild days when he went hard-core into all kinds of dumb stuff.

My main hope is that it will have genuine heart along with the humor. That will go a long way toward winning me.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed July 26th 2018, 7:41 am

Paeter wrote:I don't know the history of exactly what happened, but my impression is that Marvel got the rights through some legal maneuvering, even though DC's Captain Marvel had the name even before he was at DC. I mean, he's actually a Golden Age "rip-off" of Superman, right? Did Marvel have their Captain Marvel around in the Golden Age?

Looks like they didn't. They created him during the time he wasn't being published but DC hadn't bought him yet.

"Fawcett, publishers of the original Captain Marvel/Shazam comics, stopped making them in the ‘50s. In the ‘60s, Marvel Comics trademarked the name Captain Marvel for their own Kree alien superhero, which meant when DC licensed the Fawcett characters in 1972, they had the Fawcett character named Captain Marvel, but couldn’t call the comic Captain Marvel, so they used his transformation cry “Shazam!” for the title."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-captain-marvel-ms-marvel-shazam-clusterf-ck-explai-1251423862
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 6th 2018, 12:30 pm

Thanks for the info, Reed!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content