Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

What's Something Geeky That Was Better The Second Time?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

What's Something Geeky That Was Better The Second Time? Empty What's Something Geeky That Was Better The Second Time?

Post  Paeter July 5th 2018, 10:49 am

I've had a few geeky experiences in life that were okay, but then surprisingly MUCH more enjoyable when I came back to them again years later.

Final Fantasy 12, The Dark Knight movies, The Highlander Franchise...

Just last weekend I decided to buy the console version of Pillars Of Eternity, which I'd already played on PC years ago, but it was cheap at Gamestop, included the expansions I never got around to, and I much prefer a gamepad. I also wanted to get back into the series since the sequel is coming to consoles this December.

Holy crap I'm having so much fun! And not just because of the gamepad, although that has been GREAT now that the adjustment period is over.

For some reason, I've been a lot more interested in the story, which just felt like a ton of unedited, self-indulgent writing the first time. It still may be some of that, but my eyes aren't glazing over and I'm definitely more invested in the world and my character's place in it this time around. I'm also seeing mechanisms of gameplay I missed the first time and the dungeon crawling loop is great.

Maybe I just needed a good realtime w/ pause RPG, since it's been so long since the last one I enjoyed. But for reasons I can't quite identify this game is just coming alive like it never did for me on PC, despite the fact that I had a good time with it before.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? Has yesterday's sack lunch ever become today's extravagant feast? What do you attribute it to? A change in your age, season of life, tastes?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

What's Something Geeky That Was Better The Second Time? Empty Re: What's Something Geeky That Was Better The Second Time?

Post  mindspike July 5th 2018, 11:02 am

I came across Coneheads the Movie while channel surfing. I remembered it from college and sat down to watch with my 17 year old daughter and an adult friend. I remembered it being typical Saturday Night Live lowbrow humor and thought she would find it amusing.

It was so much better than I remembered.

Smart, witty, quotable, and perfectly paced without being vulgar. And now I get the subtle jokes and references so much more. 25 years on makes a difference and I'm much closer to the same time of life as the comedians who made the movie.

I went on to experiment with Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2, sassy, irreverent, and impossibly quotable. A bit more focused on sexual humor than I remember, but still top notch. I'm glad to have rediscovered all three of these.

The experiment continues soon with Bio-Dome. I'll report back......

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 3:55 am