Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+4
Drew.Rub
WhiteBoy
Hackmodford
Paeter
8 posters

A Geeky Dry Spell

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

A Geeky Dry Spell Empty A Geeky Dry Spell

Post  Paeter December 8th 2011, 6:14 pm

Maybe it's just the kind of things I dig on, but it seems like we're in a bit of a geeky dry spell. No movies I'm going to see until right around Christmas. (Some sci-fi horror thing I think. Can't remember the name.) No big new games out or coming soon that I know of. (Of course I'm still playing the endless geek party that is Skyrim) No big happenings in comics right now that I know of. Haven't checked the rumor mill or news on upcoming movies lately. Maybe something there...

Any news or things coming out in the next week or so that anyone is jazzed about?

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

A Geeky Dry Spell Empty Re: A Geeky Dry Spell

Post  Hackmodford December 9th 2011, 11:31 am

No... I'm just playing Zelda skyward sword. Halo anniversary... Uncharted 2... (not at same time) until something happens...

A Geeky Dry Spell UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy December 9th 2011, 12:40 pm

Actually, it's been pretty busy with games lately. Of course Skyrim, but also Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, The Old Republic (coming on Dec 20th). All games that are pretty big and released in the past couple months. I bet I'm even leaving some out. Those just came off the top of my head, but I know it's been a really busy time for games.

I bought BF3 and have been playing that to hold me over until The Old Republic comes out. On Thanksgiving weekend I did pick up Mass Effect 1 & 2 for $5 each. Those were on my wishlist and figured they wouldn't get any cheaper than $5, so I picked them up now...even if I don't have time to play them yet.

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub December 11th 2011, 11:01 am

Unfortunately, with no game system, the only thin I can really geek out on is my weekly tv series, namely Terra Nova and the current seasonn of Primeval (BBCA). I'm occasionally watching season 2 of Andromeda online. Might see about renting Cowboys and Aliens to watch when I rent The Help for the wife.

So jealous of all you video gamers.
    Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim December 12th 2011, 9:48 am

The big news I've seen lately is the casting news for the Ender's Game Movie. Hugo's Asa Butterfield is cast as Ender, True Grit's Haliee Steinfeld as Petra, and Ben Kingsley has just been cast as Mazer Rackham [anyone who has read the Ender books knows who this guy is but if you haven't, I'm not gonna spoil it for you.] Also, Harrison Ford may be cast as Colonel Hyrum Graff.

I am excited about the cast, but somewhat less excited about the director Gavin Hood. But I'm gonna withold judgement until I see a trailer.

I am desperately waiting for the announcement of the casting of Bean, my favorite characters in the book series.

><>

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 12th 2011, 2:15 pm

Hackmodford wrote:No... I'm just playing Zelda skyward sword. Halo anniversary... Uncharted 2... (not at same time) until something happens...

The Zelda game is out? Cool! Wanna review it for the show?

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 12th 2011, 2:17 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:Actually, it's been pretty busy with games lately. Of course Skyrim, but also Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, The Old Republic (coming on Dec 20th). All games that are pretty big and released in the past couple months. I bet I'm even leaving some out. Those just came off the top of my head, but I know it's been a really busy time for games.

I bought BF3 and have been playing that to hold me over until The Old Republic comes out. On Thanksgiving weekend I did pick up Mass Effect 1 & 2 for $5 each. Those were on my wishlist and figured they wouldn't get any cheaper than $5, so I picked them up now...even if I don't have time to play them yet.

Mass Effect rocks! Enjoy!
    Feel like reviewing any of those other games for the show?

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 12th 2011, 2:19 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:Unfortunately, with no game system, the only thin I can really geek out on is my weekly tv series, namely Terra Nova and the current seasonn of Primeval (BBCA). I'm occasionally watching season 2 of Andromeda online. Might see about renting Cowboys and Aliens to watch when I rent The Help for the wife.

So jealous of all you video gamers.

Feel like reviewing any of those shows for the podcast?
    Boy, I'm like a broken record. Sorry guys! Y'all are just in to cool stuff that I don't have time to cover.

www.spiritblade.com
    Tim
    Tim

Post  Tim December 12th 2011, 2:38 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:Actually, it's been pretty busy with games lately. Of course Skyrim, but also Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Batman: Arkham City, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, The Old Republic (coming on Dec 20th). All games that are pretty big and released in the past couple months. I bet I'm even leaving some out. Those just came off the top of my head, but I know it's been a really busy time for games.

I have yet to buy Batman Arkham City. To know how wrong this is, I have a simple equation for you...

[I] is to [Batman] as
    [Paeter] is to [Green Lantern]

I just don't have the money for it. I'm hoping to get it for Christmas though. I bought Arkham Asylum on launch day but just couldn't with this one. The latest game I bought [only bc I pre-ordered it forever ago] was Halo Anniversary.

I am devouring news on Mass Effect 3, especially anything to do with the new Multiplayer. I'm sooo excited. It needs to come out now!!

I have more to say on the subject of the Halo franchise and the new MW3 and BF3, but I think I'll make that it's own thread.

><>

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

><>
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford December 12th 2011, 3:14 pm

Tim wrote:The big news I've seen lately is the casting news for the Ender's Game Movie. Hugo's Asa Butterfield is cast as Ender, True Grit's Haliee Steinfeld as Petra, and Ben Kingsley has just been cast as Mazer Rackham [anyone who has read the Ender books knows who this guy is but if you haven't, I'm not gonna spoil it for you.] Also, Harrison Ford may be cast as Colonel Hyrum Graff.

I am excited about the cast, but somewhat less excited about the director Gavin Hood. But I'm gonna withold judgement until I see a trailer.

I am desperately waiting for the announcement of the casting of Bean, my favorite characters in the book series.

><>

A Geeky Dry Spell Tumblr_l2jlxkTUJJ1qbn19xo1_500
    This boy looks like he could pass as Ender...

I hope the movie is awesome since this is one of the best book I've ever read in my life!

Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford December 12th 2011, 3:16 pm

Tim wrote:I have yet to buy Batman Arkham City. To know how wrong this is, I have a simple equation for you...

[I] is to [Batman] as
    [Paeter] is to [Green Lantern]

I thoroughly enjoyed both of the games... now if they could just make a spider-man game that was just as good Crying or Very sad

Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford December 12th 2011, 3:19 pm

Paeter wrote:
    The Zelda game is out? Cool! Wanna review it for the show?

I might when I finish the game Very Happy
    I'll say right now it's definitely the most FUN zelda game, but I think I still like ocarina of time or link to the past for sheer epicness... But I'm not done so we'll see. I really like the changes they have made to the games formula though...

WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy December 12th 2011, 6:38 pm

Mass Effect rocks! Enjoy!
    Feel like reviewing any of those other games for the show?

I have actually been thinking about it. I have played Limbo and Deus Ex which were both good. I could review one of those or Battlefield 3. One thing I've kinda wrestled with doing game reviews is 1) I play through them slowly and because of that 2) how valuable would a review of a game be a couple/few months after the games release?

Movie reviews are kinda the same problem, but they don't take as long to finish. They take the same amount of time to complete for each person as opposed to game play time. Plus there's a lot of people who aren't going to watch it until it's out on disc, anyway, so the review is still useful. With games, it seems like most people who are going to play it would be getting it when it comes out or they will just skip it altogether.

What do y'all think about this? Am I off on this? Would a review of an older game be useful and/or interesting?

Post  Tim December 12th 2011, 6:44 pm

Ooooh, I forgot about Deux Ex. I finished that. Awesome game! I love any game that allows me to be non lethal.

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

><>

Post  Guest December 12th 2011, 11:09 pm

It's been a pretty decent spell for me. Classic Transformers and G.I. Joe comics keep coming, and the old Doctor Who DVDs. The newest Doctor Who season just came out, which was enjoyable. Star Wars Clone Wars season 3 on DVD, still pretty fun so far.

I've been guzzling all things Masters of the Universe related lately, the 2002 series, the underrated New Adventures show from the late '80's (surprisingly good, once you recalibrate expectations), and the real gold...the old minicomics, available on line, which presents a totally different backstory and versions of the characters (it also provided some inspiration for the 2002 series here and there).

This weekend I got a good pile of books signed by Mike Stackpole, who wrote the novelization of the new Conan the Barbarian movie (and a few others that I have).

When all else fails, I make my own fun: 80's cartoons translated for the D6 WEG RPG system, various recreational writing projects. I made up a fake "series-bible" for the Star Wars Transformers toyline, inspired by all those 80's cartoons/comics that were created to function as elaborate toy advertising (Transformers, Joes, Thundecats, Wheeled Warriors, He-Man). I don't have a single one of those toys, but in a sense, now I can play with them (in a narrative sense). How's that for barking mad?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy December 13th 2011, 11:08 am

My wife and I have been watching Season 6 of Supernatural, too. I guess that's kinda a geeky show. Now that I think of it, that could be a good show to discuss in the podcast, too. They're not afraid to deal in the world of religion and it could be interesting to discuss and compare the lore of the show with the Bible.

Admin

Post  Paeter December 13th 2011, 3:09 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:My wife and I have been watching Season 6 of Supernatural, too. I guess that's kinda a geeky show. Now that I think of it, that could be a good show to discuss in the podcast, too. They're not afraid to deal in the world of religion and it could be interesting to discuss and compare the lore of the show with the Bible.

That's a GREAT idea! I lost interest after two seasons, but I felt like it was ripe for discussion!

As for your game review question (I think it was yours anyway), I tend to not review games for the same reason, or do a "first five" review instead. But I still think it would be cool to have reviews of games from within the Spirit Blade community, even if the games have been out for a few months. They still have value because it's a review from at least somewhat like minded people (Christian geeks) and that are in contact with each other on the forums, as opposed to more "establishment" reviews.

So in a nutshell, I think reviews of any of the games you've mentioned would still have great value for the podcast, even for people who have already read/heard reviews of them elsewhere.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 13th 2011, 3:12 pm

Hackmodford wrote:
    Tim wrote:The big news I've seen lately is the casting news for the Ender's Game Movie.

I hope the movie is awesome since this is one of the best book I've ever read in my life!

One of these days I need to get off my butt and make time to read this book! Too many people have told me I'd love it. Maybe the movie will be the catalyst I need.

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford December 13th 2011, 3:14 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Hackmodford wrote:
    Tim wrote:The big news I've seen lately is the casting news for the Ender's Game Movie.

One of these days I need to get off my butt and make time to read this book! Too many people have told me I'd love it. Maybe the movie will be the catalyst I need.

No! I urge you to definatley read the book before watching the movie... there is so much that will inevitably be lost in the movie. I also recommend the audio book version (I really enjoyed the reader)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 13th 2011, 3:15 pm

Tim wrote:Ooooh, I forgot about Deux Ex. I finished that. Awesome game! I love any game that allows me to be non lethal.

I suck at hand-eye coordiantion but do alright with games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3. Found Batman: Arkham Asylum too hard, though. (I know, I know. I really do suck.)

Do you think I'd do okay with Deus Ex? The game looks REALLY cool, but I don't want to be frustrated by "groundhog day gaming". (die, get set back, try again, rinse and repeat.)

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford December 13th 2011, 3:17 pm

When playing batman... just think of it as a rhythm game (like dance dance revolution or guitar hero) then the combat just flows and you hardly need to interact with the game Very Happy

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 13th 2011, 3:18 pm

Hackmodford wrote:
    Paeter wrote:
    Hackmodford wrote:

No! I urge you to definatley read the book before watching the movie... there is so much that will inevitably be lost in the movie. I also recommend the audio book version (I really enjoyed the reader)

Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't read books after seeing the movie. (Sorry LOTR. It will never happen now.) But knowing this one's coming might get me to read it before the movie releases.

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford December 13th 2011, 3:20 pm

Well in that case your will want to read Ender's game and then Ender's Shadow since the movie is going to merge both of those books together essentially (it sounds weird but it is a brilliant idea)

They're both the same story (or at least take place around the same events) but are from different perspectives. Both are excellent in my opinion.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 13th 2011, 3:27 pm

Desert Kris wrote: I don't have a single one of those toys, but in a sense, now I can play with them (in a narrative sense). How's that for barking mad?

My friend, I tip my hat to your immense geekiness. An RPG crossover of all those 80's toys would ROCK!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter December 13th 2011, 3:28 pm

Hackmodford wrote:Well in that case your will want to read Ender's game and then Ender's Shadow since the movie is going to merge both of those books together essentially (it sounds weird but it is a brilliant idea)

They're both the same story (or at least take place around the same events) but are from different perspectives. Both are excellent in my opinion.

Oooh! Yeah, I think I'd heard that but forgot. Thanks for the heads up!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 3:19 am