Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To? Empty Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To?

Post  Paeter October 30th 2018, 10:26 am

Before we had kids we used to have other couples over on Halloween to play horror-themed board games, or watch a scary movie.

These days I don't really have any "geeky" Halloween traditions like that. In fact these days, Halloween pretty much gets overshadowed by the looming spectre of Extra-Life.

Any of you guys still do anything interesting for Halloween apart from handing out candy?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To? Empty Re: Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To?

Post  mindspike October 30th 2018, 11:09 am

Trunk or Treat at the church used to be a big deal for the kids. Now they've turned into sullen teenagers....

When we were in college, we used to have slasher movie marathons. Now, the closest thing to a tradition is our annual D&D Halloween special edition.

AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To? Empty Re: Any Geeky Halloween Stuff You're Looking Forward To?

Post  AGoodReed October 30th 2018, 10:56 pm

I've got to work in the evening, and my daughter isn't old enough to trick or treat, and trick or treating isn't a thing in China...but I'm hoping to finish watching Friday the 13th Part 3 sometime today as I continue my attempt to watch all the F13 and Halloween movies I haven't seen. I'll be doing it alone, though, because my wife is easily scared by...lots of things.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 31st 2018, 10:02 am

mindspike wrote:
    When we were in college, we used to have slasher movie marathons. Now, the closest thing to a tradition is our annual D&D Halloween special edition.

Oooh! More info please! What is this?

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 31st 2018, 10:03 am

AGoodReed wrote: I'm hoping to finish watching Friday the 13th Part 3 sometime today as I continue my attempt to watch all the F13 and Halloween movies I haven't seen. I'll be doing it alone, though, because my wife is easily scared by...lots of things.

Yep, that's pretty much how I do horror flicks! How are those movies today? Novel historical artifacts, or genuinely scary?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike October 31st 2018, 11:16 am

So the Halloween films (1,2,4,5,H20) are the only "horror" films that legitimately scare the crap out of me. Michael Meyers cannot be reasoned with, he cannot be escaped, he cannot be fought. Even if you survive the night you've only bought yourself a bit of time. We made fun of pretty much every other type of horror film during our scare movie marathons. And while these still have their tropes and things that don't quite click, these are the ones I found frightening.

A while back we started doing a Halloween special edition in our D&D game. We get an extra gaming night in October for a game that is extra lethal with all the trappings of a horror film. This year, we lost half the party. We also freed a captive angel, fought a bone demon, busted up a cult and found ourselves inadvertently doing the bidding of Count Strahd.

Good times.

Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster October 31st 2018, 6:00 pm

My mom use to make a Halloween themed dinner but now no real traditions. my only plan for today is there is a trophy in Lego DC Super Villians called Trick Or Treat which you get for having both Riddler and Two Face in the Bat Cave at the same time (a reference to Batman Forever) so I plan on getting that today
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed October 31st 2018, 6:21 pm

Paeter wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote: I'm hoping to finish watching Friday the 13th Part 3 sometime today as I continue my attempt to watch all the F13 and Halloween movies I haven't seen. I'll be doing it alone, though, because my wife is easily scared by...lots of things.

Yep, that's pretty much how I do horror flicks! How are those movies today? Novel historical artifacts, or genuinely scary?

Well, I haven't finished Part 3 yet, but so far, it's a good deal better than Part 2. I didn't think Part 2 was terrible, but the acting was lacking and none of the characters were particularly likable. Plus, Jason doesn't have his hockey mask yet; he's just running around with a sack on his head that only has one eye hole. And the climax was a little goofy. It could've worked if they'd laid some groundwork for it, but it kind of came out of nowhere.

I'm kind of with Winston. These Friday the 13th movies aren't scary, and I'm really just watching them to see how Jason is defeated at the end of each one. Halloween is far superior in my mind. It doesn't rely on bloody shots of the victims; there's actually very little blood despite the body count. John Carpenter relied on lighting and music (or lack thereof) to create tension and fear. He didn't rely on gore like the Freddy and Jason movies (and Carpenter-less Halloween sequels) did later.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 1st 2018, 1:28 pm

mindspike wrote:

A while back we started doing a Halloween special edition in our D&D game. We get an extra gaming night in October for a game that is extra lethal with all the trappings of a horror film. This year, we lost half the party. We also freed a captive angel, fought a bone demon, busted up a cult and found ourselves inadvertently doing the bidding of Count Strahd.

Good times.

That's awesome!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 1st 2018, 1:29 pm

Rickster wrote:My mom use to make a Halloween themed dinner but now no real traditions. my only plan for today is there is a trophy in Lego DC Super Villians called Trick Or Treat which you get for having both Riddler and Two Face in the Bat Cave at the same time (a reference to Batman Forever) so I plan on getting that today

Nice. I like seeing seasonal content in games, too.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 1st 2018, 1:33 pm

AGoodReed wrote: He didn't rely on gore like the Freddy and Jason movies (and Carpenter-less Halloween sequels) did later.

That's cool. Reminds me of comedians who don't swear or use sex jokes. Without those crutches you can often get some unique art that stands the test of time.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 11th 2024, 11:46 am