Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Green Lantern trailer

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Green Lantern trailer Empty Green Lantern trailer

Post  Rickster November 16th 2010, 10:50 pm

Hey My friend posted this link on Facebook and while I can't think of anyone who is excited to see this movie (LOL)but I thought I'd post the link to the trailer any way

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=greenlantern
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Green Lantern trailer Empty Re: Green Lantern trailer

Post  WhiteBoy November 17th 2010, 10:52 am

Looks pretty good. Well, except for the flying scenes...those looked very fake and CG. Sad

Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike November 17th 2010, 1:29 pm

The flying scenes and other CG looked okay to me.

I'm more concerned with the plot. Opening the movie with "fart jokes" (ie. Reynolds in his underwear, and "lets take off these pants") doesn't promise much in the way of entertainment designed to take itself seriously.

The monologue voice-over means the character of Hal Jordan is likely to be moody, self-reflective, and whiny, with exaggerated emotions forced upon the audience and conflicting with either or both of the character's actions or the tone of the film (see Ben Affleck's Daredevil).

The appearance of Hector Hammond in mutated villain mode does not bode well for a serious film, either. This character is a manipulator and mad scientist type, not material for the best Green Lantern stories or use of the ring. I have a feeling this is going to degenerate into "You took my girlfriend!" for the main plot.

Knowing nothing else about this film, I suspect we will see Hal proved to be irresponsible and disrespectful. He will go to Oa for training, proving there that authority should not be respected and that self-determined individuality is the best way to use your powers. He will come home to find the world (or possibly just Carol Ferris) imperiled by Hector Hammond, who has been mutated as a result of Abin Sur's spaceship. Hammond is covetous of Ferris and jealous of Jordan, who now blames himself for having been gone so long. They fight, Hammond will probably develop some TK to show off the FX budget. Carol gets hurt, and finds out Jordan is GL and that they truly love each other. Hammond's powers wipe the knowledge from her mind in a last act of villainy. Triumphant footage of Hal flying under ring power.

The writers have nothing of value in their credits, being mostly the executive producers of tweenage dramas (Smallville, Dawson's Creek) and self-obsessed quests for enlightenment (Eli Stone). I am beginning to dread this movie.

Of course, I still have to go see it.

At this point, I'm actually much more excited about the promised Green Lantern animated series that will debut just prior to the film. Josh Keaton and Robert Englund will voice the lead characters.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 18th 2010, 12:19 am

Nathan Norman just tipped me off to this before I came here. I'm obviously stoked and see lots that I like in this trailer. Unless "fart jokes" is a broad metaphor for something else, I missed the part where Hal cuts the cheese.

My other thoughts I'll probably share on the podcast this weekend. Thanks for posting the link, Rickster!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike November 18th 2010, 1:08 pm

"Fart joke" is industry slang for lowest common denominator humor, usually involving bodily functions, nakedness, and sexual innuendo. The term was coined in the heyday of radio, when bodily noises were not allowed to be broadcast, and "off color" jokes were emphasized by the sound of a bassoon or other instrument in the same way that comedians of the era ducked out of the spotlight to deliver racy punchlines. (The origin of the term "off color".)

Hal doesn't "cut the cheese" in the trailer, but his first appearance is in his underwear in an embarrassing situation, followed immediately by sexual innuendo with Carol Ferris. We know that Reynolds does good serious work, I just hope this movie takes itself seriously enough to let him.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 18th 2010, 8:16 pm

mindspike wrote:We know that Reynolds does good serious work, I just hope this movie takes itself seriously enough to let him.

In my viewing of the trailer, I saw a leaning toward his comedic side, but his serious acting chops were in there too. So I'm optimistic.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster November 20th 2010, 2:47 am

I prefer marvel over DC so the only thing I really know about GL is what he look like so I'll be excited to see this movie and learn more about the character

Post  Guest November 21st 2010, 3:48 am

Paeter wrote:...I'm optimistic.

"I know, right!?"

Looks like fun stuff.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 10:00 pm