Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
DNArington
orvette1
6 posters

The Green Lantern is gay

orvette1
    orvette1

Activity : 60
    Geek-Cred : 3

The Green Lantern is gay Empty The Green Lantern is gay

Post  orvette1 June 1st 2012, 7:41 pm

I just read that DC was remaking the Green Lantern. He is going to be cool, macho and gay. Why do they have to mess with the super heros? In this age of Political Correctness they are screwing everything up.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

The Green Lantern is gay Empty Re: The Green Lantern is gay

Post  DNArington June 1st 2012, 8:19 pm

Uncool....:-P I heard they were going to make some character gay but I never checked back to see which one. This means I won't be picking up any of the new 52 GL comics and if it is in the Justice Leauge comic too much I might cancel that too. :-( Too bad, but I just don't want to read that stuff.

Post  Guest June 1st 2012, 11:54 pm

Maybe the fan girls will go for it. Shocked

Then they'll cry when the writers 'fridge the boyfriend. Rolling Eyes

Being related to or in a relationship with Green Lantern can really suck the life out of a person. Wink
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy June 2nd 2012, 9:54 pm

I haven't tracked him that closely, but wasn't he the most womanizing character in DC? Odd to choose him to be gay. Odd to choose any, but I'm not surprised in the day we live in. Sad panda.

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub June 3rd 2012, 8:40 pm

I guess I always wondered why comic book writers felt it necessary to even bother getting their characters into relationships? I mean, come on, the bad guys always put the SOs in danger, thus forcing the heroes into another battle that could easily have been started in another manner.

Okay, so I don't really believe that. I know why they write it that way. I must admit, I was wondering about DC making GL gay. But when I read it wasn't any of the GLs that I know, (Hal or Kyle), I wasn't too bothered. Since I don't follow comics much anyway, it's mostly a non-issue for me.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy June 4th 2012, 12:39 pm

Well, I'm not heavily invested in GL either, but I may still have a bit of a problem with it. Isn't GL a kids comic? I have a problem holding up a gay person as a hero to my kids; just like I would not want to hold up an alcoholic as a hero to them. Heroes with major character flaws are, IMHO, something for a late teen or adult. With that being said, GL may be marketed to that older audience...I'm not familiar enough with it to know that, honestly.

Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter June 4th 2012, 5:51 pm

I've already had three different people ask me my thoughts on this in two days, knowing that I'm a huge GL fan. I think it's buzzworthy enough that I'll do a blog post and podcast segment sharing my reaction and thoughts.

For now, I'll just clarify that the rebooted, homosexual Green Lantern is Alan Scott, who resides in an alternate version of the DC universe called "Earth 2". The main DC universe with the Green lanterns we're more familiar with (Such as Hal Jordan from the recent movie) still exists, and no Green Lanterns from that universe have been identified as homosexuals.

Currently, stories about the Earth 2 universe are limited to a single comic titled "Earth 2". So Alan Scott and his story are pretty secluded from the rest of the DC superhero world at this point, though there will undoubtedly be brief "crossover" events in the future at some point.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington June 7th 2012, 6:10 pm

Paeter wrote:I've already had three different people ask me my thoughts on this in two days, knowing that I'm a huge GL fan. I think it's buzzworthy enough that I'll do a blog post and podcast segment sharing my reaction and thoughts.

For now, I'll just clarify that the rebooted, homosexual Green Lantern is Alan Scott, who resides in an alternate version of the DC universe called "Earth 2". The main DC universe with the Green lanterns we're more familiar with (Such as Hal Jordan from the recent movie) still exists, and no Green Lanterns from that universe have been identified as homosexuals.

Currently, stories about the Earth 2 universe are limited to a single comic titled "Earth 2". So Alan Scott and his story are pretty secluded from the rest of the DC superhero world at this point, though there will undoubtedly be brief "crossover" events in the future at some point.

I'm defiantly interested to hear what you have to say. I am really glad it is not Hal Jordan because then I would have canceled my subscription to JL, which I have been enjoying greatly. We are planning to do a Christian response to this topic on the Helix Reviews podcast when the next episode releases on Sunday.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman June 7th 2012, 6:47 pm

Paeter, as usual, your thoughts are well-thought out, and filled with grace and wisdom.

http://spiritblade.blogspot.com/2012/06/in-search-of-truth-response-to-green.html

I got into a conversation with my comic shop owners last week about this reveal . .. and one of the owners in particular was upset about this move on the grounds that:

1. It reeked of a gimmicky attempt to sell some extra books.
    2. It erases Alan's kids, Jade and Obsidian.

I think you're correct that one of the biggest losses we've seen with the move to "youth-anize" the JSA is the loss of elder/mentor heroes to help guide the younger.

Oh well.

I'm curious . . . what comics have you dropped?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter June 8th 2012, 6:02 pm

Thanks, Nathan.

As for my current comics, you'll have to wait a bit. I'm planning a "One Year Later" segment for the show about the comics I've kept, picked up, or dropped since DC's "New 52" started. That will be around August. But I'll say I'm definitely buying less now than when the New 52 launched.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington June 8th 2012, 8:45 pm

Paeter wrote:Thanks, Nathan.

As for my current comics, you'll have to wait a bit. I'm planning a "One Year Later" segment for the show about the comics I've kept, picked up, or dropped since DC's "New 52" started. That will be around August. But I'll say I'm definitely buying less now than when the New 52 launched.

Oooo, cool! I can't wait! That is somthing I've wanted to hear too!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 11:38 pm