Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Audio Book recommendations?

CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Audio Book recommendations? Empty Audio Book recommendations?

Post  CreatorsPixels December 6th 2010, 12:39 pm

Anybody got a good audio book/series they would recommend to me? I spend about 2 hours a day in my car and the radio just gets old! I've found I can load up a lot of mp3's on my thumb drive and listen to them on the radio and its quite handy. Unless someone can convince Paeter to put out a daily podcast, that would work too!!
    litera9
    litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Audio Book recommendations? Empty Re: Audio Book recommendations?

Post  litera9 December 6th 2010, 5:34 pm

podiobooks.com is a source for independent authors who release their books in podcast format. you get one episode/chapter a week, until the whole book is released. There is lot's of science fiction, fantasy and horror on that site. Some famous names on their include Scott Sigler and J.C. Hutchins. I don't know if their material is good or not, but that's up to you to check out.

Also, Librivox.com is a Open-source website that has individual record their own reading of public domain books, and release them for free. You can find classical fiction, theological works, poems, lectures, and whatever else might interest you. I believe authors like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells (two of the first sci-fi writers) have work on their. You won't find things like Lewis, or Tolkien. They are still owned by the public. However, it's still a great source.

CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Post  CreatorsPixels December 6th 2010, 6:08 pm

Cool, thanks for the tips!!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike December 7th 2010, 4:00 pm

Our library has a huge selection of Star Wars audiobooks, I'd check out yours. And ask if they do digital media as well, ours does.

For audio series that I've listened to, I can recommend the Percy Jackson books or the 39 Clues series. Not only are they good books, but the performance of the reader is engaging and easy. Pretty much anything put out by Graphic Audio is freaking awesome in its production quality, but at $20 a book, you better hope the library has something in stock.

I just finished listening to Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books on audio, and am about to start on Anne McCaffery's Pern books. I've read them all before, but I want to see what the audio is like.

Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster December 7th 2010, 7:36 pm

Focus on the family has alot of radio drama's that you might want to look into. I really enjoyed their Narnia radio dramas.
    You guy buy them from Christianbook.com
    also Earflix has a lot of radio dramas on MP3 (including the Narnia series)
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford December 8th 2010, 10:20 am

Dark Adventure Radio Theatre has some really cool HP Lovecraft stories... but they're only about an hour long...

You can also pick up the original star wars radio dramas here.
    The Episode IV lasts 13 hours Shocked

I'd also recommend checking out Graphic Audio especially their DC comics section.

And of course I have the mention the

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio dramas. These are garunteed to make you laugh and never get boring, even after multiple relistens...

I'd also recommend Big Finish
    They have some interesting audio dramas including Stargate Very Happy (sadly they're more like books then audio dramas but still pretty good)

Earflix has all of the Left Behind series including the kids series and the newer "The Rising" story, plus alot of Focus on the Family Radio Theatre stuff...

I hope you can tell by now that I'm a big radio drama fanatic rabbit

Audio Book recommendations? UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike December 8th 2010, 1:22 pm

Can't believe I forgot to mention the Internet Archive. Tons of stuff there, and its all free. Go to archive.org and do a search on "OTR" for a massive return of radio dramas. If you like a blend of Stephen King and Clive Barker, I'd check out "Hoad's Grim" by Jack Kincaid, released under Creative Commons on the Internet Archive. This is a great story that I really enjoyed.

CreatorsPixels

Post  CreatorsPixels December 10th 2010, 1:54 pm

Wow guys, thanks for all the sites!! That should really keep me going for awhile. Those 2 hours a day in the car get old when the radio only has commercials on it. And XM is just a rip off. I do like the longer stuff. I never thought to check the library, I'll have to try ours! I recently ran across the Riverworld series. Its not as sci-fi as I like but its all I had and its kind of interesting now that I'm into it. Thanks again for the tips, they are much appreciated!
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Post  CreatorsPixels December 10th 2010, 2:12 pm

litera9 wrote:Also, Librivox.com is a Open-source website that has individual record their own reading of public domain books.......

FYI, that should be librivox.org whatever is on the .com its bad enough our firewall is blocking me from it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 7:24 pm