Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie?

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie? Empty Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie?

Post  AGoodReed November 10th 2019, 6:45 am

Okay, this isn't as important as Jesus rescuing a lost soul, but the parable of the lost coin keeps coming to mind when I think of it...

When I was a kid, I had this fascination with horror movies even though I was afraid of them. If I came across one on TV, I would be compelled to watch it until I got too scared and had to change the channel.

I can't remember how old I was, but I distinctly remember watching a large portion of a sort of haunted house movie on either TNT or TBS (pretty sure it was a Turner network). I remember there was a group of kids trapped in this house with monsters in the walls, melting people, monsters disguised as people, and a lot of stop-motion and practical effects. I never saw the beginning or end of it, and I never found out what it was called, but I've had images from it running through my mind since the early or mid 90's.

Then, the other day, I was browsing Tubi TV for random movies and checking YouTube for their trailers, and I came across what must be THAT movie:

It's called The Gate, and it's about some kids who accidentally open a portal to hell (or somesuch) in their house.

I cannot believe I finally found it after all these years, and without even looking. I haven't watched it yet; I'm kind of afraid to ruin the mystique by finally seeing it clearly and in full. But I'll get to it eventually.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie? Empty Re: Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie?

Post  AdamCollings November 10th 2019, 8:52 pm

That's so cool that you've found it after all this time.
    I understand about being hesitant to watch it, in case it spoils the memory.
    As a kid, I loved a show called "The Mysterious Cities of Gold". Part of my wanted to find that show and show it to my own kids, but I'm afraid that if I watch it as an adult, I'll find it was a lot cheesier and sillier than I remember it being, and I don't want to tarnish the memory.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie? Empty Re: Rejoice with me, for I have found my missing...horror movie?

Post  Paeter November 12th 2019, 9:44 am

If you decide to watch it, let us know! I would consider putting it on my PC screen while playing video games just so I could compare notes with you on a "classic" that I've heard about for years but also never seen! Melting people sounds pretty cool to me!

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed September 13th 2020, 10:26 am

I finally watched it! It was absolutely the movie I saw when I was a kid! Now I have closure!

Fun Fact: This was Stephen Dorff's first film.

On the Retro Rewind scale, I would rate it "Nostalgic." I don't think it's a classic of the genre. It kind of meanders in parts. But the special effects are commendable for the time, I think. One critic said that it's a good movie to show kids to introduce them to horror movies. There's not a lot of blood, the main characters are kids, the monsters are just borderline grotesque by children's standards, and...let's just say that death is handled in a more child-friendly way. To say more would spoil it.

The writers obviously have little to no idea how hell or the Bible work. But at least love is an important idea at the end.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 14th 2020, 2:22 pm

AGoodReed wrote: One critic said that it's a good movie to show kids to introduce them to horror movies.

Oooh! Has someone made a list somewhere! I'd LOVE some ideas for movies like that!

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed September 14th 2020, 5:27 pm

Paeter wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote: One critic said that it's a good movie to show kids to introduce them to horror movies.

Oooh! Has someone made a list somewhere! I'd LOVE some ideas for movies like that!

Not that I've seen. I just saw a quote from a review on the movie's Wikipedia page.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 12:56 pm