Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

New Superman movie w/ J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

New Superman movie w/ J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates Empty New Superman movie w/ J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates

Post  AGoodReed March 1st 2021, 10:26 am

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-superman-movie-ta-nehisi-coates-jj-abrams-henry-cavil/

Knowing who Coates is, my hopes are set to basement-level.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

New Superman movie w/ J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates Empty Re: New Superman movie w/ J.J. Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates

Post  Paeter March 1st 2021, 5:45 pm

AGoodReed wrote:https://www.gamesradar.com/new-superman-movie-ta-nehisi-coates-jj-abrams-henry-cavil/

Knowing who Coates is, my hopes are set to basement-level.

Not familiar with his work, but the social-cultural angle seems to give weight to an (IGN?) article speculating that Superman would be played by a black actor. I don't think I'll fully comment on that possibility until we get confirmation. But for now I'll say that I'm glad to hear the words "powerful and moving" in what they are aiming for, rather than an overly bright take on Superman. And yet when Superman is used to try and comment on social/political causes and issues, I think he is outside his area of strength. And with people on the internet so commonly lacking the ability to discuss sensitive topics with grace and nuance, an ethnic casting choice intended to make a cultural statement will likely tempt and result in the kind of strife, anger and hate that such a choice would presumably be made to help us all grow out of, as well as glaringly distract from the story. In short: counterproductive.

We'll see! I think the reception of Zack Snyder's Justice League this month could determine what plans actually go forward.

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 6:45 am