Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Playstation Store closes for PS3

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Playstation Store closes for PS3 Empty Playstation Store closes for PS3

Post  AdamCollings March 29th 2021, 5:35 pm

I doubt this will affect anyone other than me but I just got the email I hoped I'd never get, but knew was inevitable.
    The Playstation store for the PS3 is closing up shop on the 2nd of July, so I've got two months to buy anything I want before the end (which is basically a collection of DLCs for Mass Effect 3)
    I suspect the closure of servers for multiplayer games will be the next logical step. Not a big issue for me as I don't really play those types of games, but there's a couple my son enjoys.

In future, the only way to buy new games will be second hand.

Still, I've had a good run. The kids were pretty little when we decided to buy the PS3.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Playstation Store closes for PS3 Empty Re: Playstation Store closes for PS3

Post  Paeter March 30th 2021, 9:46 am

I saw this too! Relevant to me because of PSP and Vita games, which effects my Vita (which plays both) and the PS TV we have (which also plays both). I'm at least grateful that content already purchased will be able to be downloaded again after these closures. Hopefully that feature will stick around for a long time. The PS3 option going seems premature, as I believe you can still buy games on the 360. This also means that a TON of PS1 games will not be able to be purchased anymore.

My hope is that this may mean they are planning to do some kind of backward compat option on PS5. Seems odd to just completely drop this revenue source. My jaded guess is that these old games will soon be available again, but only through a lame Game Pass knock-off subscription service. We'll see...

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster April 1st 2021, 1:17 pm

Still play my PS3 will probably need to buckle down and finish my backlog because I'm guessing stopping syncing the trophies for PS3 and Vita will be coming around eventually. There's a couple games i been thinking to buy and I need to get the Mirror's Edge DLC before the closure.
    What sucks is there are some digital only games that will be lost forever due to the closure also I guess Sony didnt let Game developers know about the stores closing ahead of time so some games are going to be rushed to get out before the store closes or canceled

Paeter wrote:
    My hope is that this may mean they are planning to do some kind of backward compat option on PS5. Seems odd to just completely drop this revenue source. My jaded guess is that these old games will soon be available again, but only through a lame Game Pass knock-off subscription service. We'll see...

I have no idea if its reliable or not but I saw something on Facebook the other day talking about Sony filed a patent or something to allow trophy support to be added to older games which people think means Backwards Compatibility is coming.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings April 2nd 2021, 5:12 am

Rick, not sure about trophies, but I believe it said you'd still be able to download games that you have already bought. Of course, there's always the chance that they will eventually remove this ability, but it hopefully won't be for a while.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 5th 2021, 1:10 pm

Rickster wrote:

I have no idea if its reliable or not but I saw something on Facebook the other day talking about Sony filed a patent or something to allow trophy support to be added to older games which people think means Backwards Compatibility is coming.

Colin Moriarty confirmed that is a patent that was filed, with a similar one filed around 10 years ago. Patents often mean nothing, but the timing here is still noteworthy. I'm hopeful and yet Jim Ryan (head of Playstation) has been vocal about his disbelief that anyone wants to play old games. So we'll see! Maybe something soon before the closures take effect. Un-E3 2021?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings April 5th 2021, 6:39 pm

[quote="Paeter"]
    Rickster wrote:
    and yet Jim Ryan (head of Playstation) has been vocal about his disbelief that anyone wants to play old games.

Nobody wants to play old games? Of course not. How preposterous. Thinking that people would want to play old games is like thinking people would want to read old books or watch old movies. I mean, can you imagine anybody ever wanting to watch Casablanca, or Star Wars, or Back To The Future? That's hilarious. Imagine if people wanted to read Lord of The Rings or the works of Shakespeare? I've got tears streaming down my face at the very thought. It's almost as insane as thinking that somebody would want to look at the Mona Lisa. That thing's gotta be, what? over 500 years old? I'd use it for toilet paper!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 6th 2021, 11:20 am

AdamCollings wrote:

Nobody wants to play old games? Of course not. How preposterous. Thinking that people would want to play old games is like thinking people would want to read old books or watch old movies. I mean, can you imagine anybody ever wanting to watch Casablanca, or Star Wars, or Back To The Future? That's hilarious. Imagine if people wanted to read Lord of The Rings or the works of Shakespeare? I've got tears streaming down my face at the very thought. It's almost as insane as thinking that somebody would want to look at the Mona Lisa. That thing's gotta be, what? over 500 years old? I'd use it for toilet paper!
    [/quote]

Lol! You wrote this fresh off your "April 1st Announcements" post, didn't you? On a roll!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings April 7th 2021, 12:51 am

Surprisingly, I wrote this first, but it certainly put me in the right mental space for the April Fools comment.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster April 19th 2021, 12:30 pm

Update
    Sony announced that the the PS3 and Vita stores will not be closing as planned but the PSP store will.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 19th 2021, 12:48 pm

Rickster wrote:Update
    Sony announced that the the PS3 and Vita stores will not be closing as planned but the PSP store will.

Great news! Do you have a link for that?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster April 19th 2021, 12:51 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Rickster wrote:Update

Great news! Do you have a link for that?

here's the link from Playstation's blog

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19/playstation-store-on-ps3-and-ps-vita-will-continue-operations/
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings April 19th 2021, 6:46 pm

Yay. This is wonderful news. Really takes the pressure off.
    My son is thrilled as well. He was gutted when he heard we wouldn't be able to buy any more games.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 20th 2021, 11:49 am

What's unclear to me is whether or not PSP games will still be able to be purchased on Vita, which can play them through backwards compatibility. (PS3 might be able to also.) Is it just the store that is closing for PSP, or the ability to buy PSP games? Hopefully that will be cleared up soon. Until then I may still be making a list of PSP games to consider buying. Many of them are PS1 games that are either cost-prohibitive to buy physically or that my PS2 will not read without annoying tinkering.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 11:07 pm