Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Question about a couple bible passages

John321

Activity : 8
    Geek-Cred : 0

Question about a couple bible passages Empty Question about a couple bible passages

Post  John321 May 18th 2023, 3:45 pm

Hi, i have few questions about these passages

1 john 2:15 ESV
    Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

1 john 2:16 ESV
    For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world

Regarding the first:
    What is meant by the word "love"? because i do get passionate/love my hobbys/geekery which are of the world. Should i stop with all my worldly hobbys
    and focus only on the bible and work?

Regarding the second:
    What does "desires of the flesh" mean?
    Is desiring to do my hobby's fall under that?

I hope to hear your thoughts, excuse for my bad english.

Greetings
    John
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Question about a couple bible passages Empty Re: Question about a couple bible passages

Post  mindspike May 20th 2023, 8:58 pm

John, Bible scholarship is one of the greatest privileges and biggest challenges we have today. I'll do my best to help you untangle your questions.

My guiding approach is this:
    1. Every verse must be taken within its own context.
    2. The most important meanings of scripture are meant to be plainly understood.

1 John 2

v1. John is writing so that the church will be able to recognize and avoid sin.

v7-8. This is not a new commandment, but a clarification of the "old commandments" - a phrase that refers specifically to the Law of Moses (the Ten Commandments) and which was often summarized as "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself."

v-15-17 These may be seen as a restatement of the Ten Commandments, especially since John breaks them down into the categories of: desire of the eyes, desire of the flesh, and pride of life.

When John talks about love in his letter, he uses the word "agape", or perfect, unselfish love. In light of the commandments to love the Lord and your neighbor, this type of love places an emphasis and priority on those relationships. In light of the epistle, then, John's instruction to the church is to not place such an importance on the world and the things of the world that they eclipse the place that God is supposed to hold in your life.

That, at least, is my interpretation. I hope that is of some use to you.

John321

Question about a couple bible passages Empty Re: Question about a couple bible passages

Post  John321 May 22nd 2023, 11:48 am

Thank you for your comment, if anyone else is lurking the threat do share your thoughts!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 22nd 2023, 8:41 pm

I'm probably out of time today to offer as much as I'd like on this, but I explored the idea of "loving" hobbies and 1 John 2:15 a bit at 21:03 in this video:

And I think Mindspike's remarks on the priority of love would be where I would take the exploration of your question on your hobbies and whether or not engaging in them is equivalent to pursuing the "desires of the flesh".

www.spiritblade.com
    John321

Post  John321 May 26th 2023, 10:04 am

Thank you for comment paeter. Ive decided to drop my nerd related hobbies for they are in conflict with my family. (recently moved back with my parents)
    English is not my main language so when i have the time i will deciper what mindspike and what you have said
    Thank you
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 30th 2023, 8:31 pm

John321 wrote:Thank you for comment paeter. Ive decided to drop my nerd related hobbies for they are in conflict with my family. (recently moved back with my parents)

That sounds like a God-honoring choice if your parents are not comfortable with it and you will be living with them. Thanks for sharing your questions and your willingness to do so in English! (I know it is not an easy language!)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 8:53 am