Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Lightraiders Adventure Bible System

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Lightraiders Adventure Bible System Empty Lightraiders Adventure Bible System

Post  jorowi October 5th 2023, 11:53 am

DragonRaid has gotten its long-awaited makeover.

The emphasis is clearly on discipleship through storytelling. It's also squarely aimed at homeschooling parents. I'm more interested in seeing how the game mechanics have changed.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Lightraiders Adventure Bible System Empty Re: Lightraiders Adventure Bible System

Post  Paeter October 5th 2023, 4:53 pm

REALLY interesting!

My first impression is that they should lean even more into referring to it as curriculum and a learning tool and maybe talk about how those things have been "game-ified". I think as a game a lot of young geeks would be feeling very glass half empty about it, and say "why can't we just play D&D?", but as something that is done during "school time" or "study time" or small group time, it could be a hit! Although in that case the question on my mind would be, can this take the place of those more focused experiences of Bible study or discipleship.

So I have trouble thinking of where it slots into the routines of life. But maybe that's better understood by homeschoolers, since their rhythms and what education looks like are very different. Any reactions to those thoughts, John?

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Lightraiders Adventure Bible System Empty Re: Lightraiders Adventure Bible System

Post  jorowi October 6th 2023, 11:30 am

They go to a lot of homeschooling conferences and conventions so they're definitely leaning into the "teaching tool" narrative. This has been the case with their previous product release, First Watch.

I got the following response from the company in a comment on their YouTube channel:

"The character system and mechanics have been streamlined and simplified for accessibility. James R. Brown, who also worked on The One Ring, was the primary rules developer. Character creation is nine quick steps that take about 15 minutes total. Rolls always include 3 d10s (starlots). There are no other dice in the game. You still test various abilities, but based on a simple target instead of a percentage. We now also have trials which are a series of tests conducted as a group to pass a challenge like building a bridge or saving an animal from a quagmire. Rescues have a more structured feel to encourage consistent use (and explanation) of the Great Rescue verses. Battle moves faster due to a "clash" system in which a single roll results in either damage to the enemy or to the PC. Those are just the highlights. 🙂"

So it looks like a gamified way to memorize scripture which is what DragonRaid was meant to be. The rules just got in the way!

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 6th 2023, 2:13 pm

Cool, thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Post  jorowi October 19th 2023, 3:44 pm

FYI- The fundraiser has gone live. $39 for the base set if you pledge early. That's a steal for what they're offering.

Lightraiders Adventure Bible System 1kam04lkjcw9bs36ou79g00jmyq0?ixlib=rails-4.3

https://www.backerkit.com/c/lightraider-academy/lightraiders-adventure-bible-system

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 19th 2023, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Art assets and production quality look great!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 1:42 pm