Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility

MrSquid
    MrSquid

Activity : 8
    Geek-Cred : 0

Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility Empty Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility

Post  MrSquid November 25th 2011, 3:36 am

Always enjoy the podcast, and the Bible study at the end. Spirit Blade is an amazing ministry that helps educate as well as entertain. However, I would have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Nathan James Norman on his views about Christian responsibility in our nation today. I've written extensively on the Believer's role in Government (Family, Church, Community and State), and in our interactions with those around us (through arts and the various sciences). The United States is unique as it was clearly founded upon a Biblical/Christian worldview, and unfortunately Christians have retreated from standing vigilant in sharing God's law and truth in every aspect of life today. If we take serious witnessing and being a light, the wondrous work of salvation in the individual (and eventually the community too) will result in a changed place. Jonah tried to flee the destruction, and shun his responsibility, but God had other plans. Please see the article I was inspired to write after listening to this lesson, and decide for yourself after reading a bit on American history, and a scriptural stand-point for where I'm coming from. Thanks! (my article at: http://missouritenth.com/2011/11/25/a-christian-life-and-character/ ) You can also find other PDF resources to help educate on subjects of related importance in the site, if interested.

Last edited by MrSquid on November 25th 2011, 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link wasn't working correctly)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility Empty Re: Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility

Post  Paeter November 25th 2011, 12:37 pm

You make some very good points, MrSquid. And I enjoyed reading your article.

I don't think I see any real conflict between your view and Nathan's. I won't speak for Nathan, but it seemed to me the focus of his writing was on how we emotionally deal with evil and injustice, rather than how we should respond in terms of action.

The questions he raised seemed more along the lines of "why is God allowing this?" rather than "what should I be doing about this?"

(The question really depends on what he means by "dealing with" evil and injustice.)

Although it wasn't his focus, Nathan commented on our potentially active response to evil:

"In the same way, as Christians, we can try and share Christ with those around us. We can try and be a good influence."

I would add to this that we should do these things, whenever possible. I'd wager Nathan would agree too. But we shouldn't be surprised or dismayed when doing so does not change the culture. Even Jesus, God himself, was not able to change the culture surrounding him in his time on earth. Just a small pocket of it, if that. He was still crucified and it wasn't until many years later that his work on earth changed entire cultures.

Mickey Bryce, Pastor and voice of Isaiah in "Spirit Blade", once said to me regarding his philosophy of performance preparation, "You've gotta work, practice and prepare with the amount of effort you'd give if it all depended on you... and then give it all to God because it really all depends on him."

In the same way, I see what you're saying and what Nathan is saying as very compatible. We should engage the culture in every way possible on behalf of Christ, but be content to let God clean up injustice and evil in the end.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility Empty Re: Mr. Norman's Destruct Code and Christian Responsibility

Post  Nathan James Norman November 25th 2011, 5:59 pm

MrSquid wrote:Always enjoy the podcast, and the Bible study at the end. Spirit Blade is an amazing ministry that helps educate as well as entertain. However, I would have to respectfully disagree with Mr. Nathan James Norman on his views about Christian responsibility in our nation today. I've written extensively on the Believer's role in Government (Family, Church, Community and State), and in our interactions with those around us (through arts and the various sciences). The United States is unique as it was clearly founded upon a Biblical/Christian worldview, and unfortunately Christians have retreated from standing vigilant in sharing God's law and truth in every aspect of life today. If we take serious witnessing and being a light, the wondrous work of salvation in the individual (and eventually the community too) will result in a changed place. Jonah tried to flee the destruction, and shun his responsibility, but God had other plans. Please see the article I was inspired to write after listening to this lesson, and decide for yourself after reading a bit on American history, and a scriptural stand-point for where I'm coming from. Thanks! (my article at: http://missouritenth.com/2011/11/25/a-christian-life-and-character/ ) You can also find other PDF resources to help educate on subjects of related importance in the site, if interested.

I think Paeter summed up my thoughts enough so that don't have to reiterate them.

The problem here is that we're comparing apples to oranges. This particular series is on Habakkuk, not a systematic theology on the Christian's role in society. I understand your response, but the text of Habakkuk just doesn't go there. Whenever I preach through books of the Bible, I admit that I often see topics that I want to turn around and spend a whole Sunday on, rather than the "Big Idea" in scripture . . . but then I wouldn't be respecting the ideas that the Holy Spirit intended to teach in Scriptures.

And in Habakkuk's day, just like ours' there are aspects of our culture that we cannot effect . . . or that we've tried to change for years and nothing has happened. And just like Habakkuk we cry out to God and ask "Why do you tolerate wrong?" We essentially ask "Why do you let this wickedness continue on - after all this work we put into this?!"

This is the context that I'm preaching/teaching/writing from.

If all Scripture is useful for teaching, and we believe in expository preaching the message God wants his people to hear is: Believers should deal with a wicked culture by faithfully waiting for the Lord to bring judgment via its own wickedness.

If I brought in social action, involvement in government or political reform I would not be faithful to the text.

And as a preacher I am obligated to preach the ideas of the text . . . wherever they lead us.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 6:24 am