Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction!

tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction! Empty Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction!

Post  tmorrill February 4th 2012, 10:59 am

Okay, well I might. Fine.

Hi! I'm Travis. I'm currently living in Osan AB, South Korea. I'm in the Air Force and am suppose to be moving to Great Falls around the end of April/early May.

I'm originally from Washington and have been to a few places all over the world.

There's more to me, but it's almost midnight and I have to be at work in about 5 hours, so I'm just gonna hit enter right now and post the rest of it tomorrow.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction! Empty Re: Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction!

Post  WhiteBoy February 5th 2012, 3:33 pm

Hey, Travis! Welcome to the Spirit Blade community. I'm curious...what drew you to here first? Is it the podcast? The audio drama? Paeter's dashing good looks?

For me, it was the podcast that I found first. I think I was just searching iTunes for "Christian geek" podcasts. I ran across a couple others, but they didn't resonate with me like this one has. I really enjoy the podcast Paeter does; and he is constantly involving members of the community which I think just improves the experience.

Anyway...looking forward to seeing you around.

Chad

Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction! Empty Re: Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction!

Post  tmorrill February 5th 2012, 7:06 pm

Aaaaaaaaah! AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I had a long reply typed out, and then my internet crashed right as I hit enter and it got lost!

Anyway, what drew me here was first a google search looking for good Christian sci-fi, which wasn't an allegory of some kind. I found Spirit Blade a few months ago and then after listening to it and gettin' curious when the third one would come out I decided to join to contribute.

Anyway, more about me. I'm a recently re-discovered Christian, I had a rough couple of years from early 09 to early 11 where I became more agnostic than anything. Since then I've had a hunger for knowing God better that I haven't had before.

Anyway, a few months ago (right around the time I found Spirit Blade) I got it in my head to write a Christian hard sci-fi novel (it's turned into a trilogy). After lots of thinking about it I finally got it started over the last month or so. Basically it's set about 400 to 700 years in the future where humanity has spread to the stars and Christianity is held to the same ratio as the JWs are right now. Anyway, humanity eventually makes contact with an alien race who has just the Old Testament. The next next novel covers a main character from the first novel's conversion to Christianity and his assorted adventures there. The third one will be him going on a Paulian-style mission trip to the alien planet.

So far, I've got 3 pages of brain storming, 3 pages of written ramblings that were suppose to set the scene a bit but turned to ramblings about gardens, and a title "The Universe Declares".

Hope to see y'all around the site!
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman February 6th 2012, 4:49 pm

Welcome to the SBU! Good to have you here.

That novel sounds awesome. Be sure to let us know when we can all read it.
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford February 6th 2012, 5:50 pm

I agree the story sounds awesome. Have you read "A Lamb among the stars"? I just picked it up because it's a christian sic fi story. (never read it)

Introduction? I don't need no stinkin' introduction! UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Post  tmorrill February 6th 2012, 9:47 pm

I just bought the first one off of Amazon so I'll see from there if I wanna read the rest of the series.

One series I read was the "The Firebird Trilogy" that wasn't all that bad, even if it was more of a romance-sci-fi-super-Jews-in-space type novel than the normal type of sci-fi I like to go read. I prefer hard sci-fi like 2001, Rama, and kinda sorta the first 2/3rds of the Emprise series.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 6th 2012, 11:20 pm

Hey tmorill! Welcome to the forums!

I'll echo what others have said and say that the book idea sounds very cool and refreshingly original on several levels.

What kind of sci-fi do you like in terms of either books or movies?

www.spiritblade.com
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Post  tmorrill February 7th 2012, 12:07 am

Hmmm, as far as sci-fi books and movies I like, this could take a while.

Books, just looking over at my bookshelf on it I've got...
    Rendevous With Rama
    Enders Game (the entire series)
    2001, 2010,2061,and 3001
    Halo novels (most of 'em)
    Starship Troopers (book, not the movie)
    For Us The Living
    A random smattering of Star Trek novels
    War of the Worlds

I've also got the Space Trilogy (in storage right now since my dorm room is limited on space), but I've never finished it...

TV shows is...
    Babylon 5
    Star Trek (all TV shows/movies)
    Fringe
    Doctor Who
    Stargate (all 3)
    John Doe

Movies, is just to many to name, but one of my favorites has to be "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the classic one, not the remake)

EDIT:

OH! Farscape. I can't forget Farscape!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 3:37 pm