Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus Empty Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus

Post  Rickster June 5th 2012, 6:03 pm

Hi everyone
    What do you think Paeter will give Prometheus in Quality?
    my guess 8.5 maybe 9.0
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus Empty Re: Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus

Post  DNArington June 5th 2012, 6:20 pm

Hmmm....I'll say a 9.0
    I haven't seen any movies from the Alien franchise, but they seem intriguing. I really need to get on that Wink
    Rickster
    Rickster

Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus Empty Re: Predict Paeter's Quality Review Score (PPQRS) for Prometheus

Post  Rickster June 5th 2012, 7:17 pm

DNArington wrote:Hmmm....I'll say a 9.0
    I haven't seen any movies from the Alien franchise, but they seem intriguing. I really need to get on that Wink

I haven't seen any too and I'll ,ost likely not see this one until I check the other ones out first
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter June 5th 2012, 9:53 pm

Rickster wrote:
    DNArington wrote:Hmmm....I'll say a 9.0

I haven't seen any too and I'll ,ost likely not see this one until I check the other ones out first

Well, as far as I know, Ridley Scott has gone on record saying that this movie is not an Alien Prequel and isn't even technically part of the Alien movies continuity. So you shouldn't need to have seen any of those movies before seeing this one.

As for my Quality score, I give the trailers I've seen a frickin' 10, so I'm really hoping the movie will be just as fantastic! (But I've been let down before...) Stay tuned this weekend!

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub June 7th 2012, 7:45 am

I predict this will be the first movie Paeter gives both a Quality and Relevancy score of 10 (or better).

I hear there's some interesting (if not already done) philosophy/religion conflicts introduced. one of the things I'm looking forward to seeing. Apparently the lead scientist isn't just a scientist (notoriously thought to be in the general atheist/agnostic camp) but she's also a believer (Christian?). I'll be interested in seeing what the writers have to say about that.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 8th 2012, 6:30 pm

You guys were all really close! I gave VERY high scores in both categories!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster June 11th 2012, 6:26 pm

Is there any movies opening next weekend besides the musical Rock of Ages (which I know Paeter going to reveiw lol)?
    Also is Paeter are you going to review Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter or is the Amazing spider-man the next one we should play PPQRS?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 12th 2012, 12:45 am

I will be reviewing the Abe Lincoln flick, followed by Spider-Man.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington June 12th 2012, 6:52 pm

Paeter wrote:I will be reviewing the Abe Lincoln flick, followed by Spider-Man.

I am looking forward to what you think of AL:VH. It looks like it could be good, but that tittle screams b-movie, but it looks like they are going for a serious tone.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster June 12th 2012, 8:23 pm

DNArington wrote:
    Paeter wrote:I will be reviewing the Abe Lincoln flick, followed by Spider-Man.

I am looking forward to what you think of AL:VH. It looks like it could be good, but that tittle screams b-movie, but it looks like they are going for a serious tone.

Red box has movie called Abe Lincoln vs. zombies
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub June 15th 2012, 7:23 am

Just saw this. Interesting takes on Prometheus.

http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/reddit-explains-prometheus/?hpt=hp_bn16
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 15th 2012, 12:18 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:Just saw this. Interesting takes on Prometheus.

http://mashable.com/2012/06/12/reddit-explains-prometheus/?hpt=hp_bn16

I agree. I still suspect, though, that there are some missing scenes that will clear some of these issues up. At the very least, I hope for a Ridley Scott commentary that provides answers for some of these questions.

I think the "Space Jesus" theory is a stretch. (Setting aside the wonky concept itself.) I just have no idea how audiences could be expected to conclude, based only on what we saw in this film, that Jesus was actually an Engineer, and the Engineers are mad at us for killing him. Whaa?

www.spiritblade.com

Post  Guest June 16th 2012, 12:30 am

**Spoiler Warning**

I just have no idea how audiences could be expected to conclude, based only on what we saw in this film, that Jesus was actually an Engineer, and the Engineers are mad at us for killing him. Whaa?

I didn't come to a conclusion remotely along those lines, however the 2,000 year timeline suggested that something was in play that linked the beginnings of Christianity with whatever disaster went down at the Engineer's facility. And I spotted the time table synchronicity well before reading this article; it presented itself in my mind shortly after seeing the film. Ridley Scott's tendency to use religious symbology had already primed me before-hand. I was actually going to bring it up, but, well, it's here now.

The "Space Jesus" concept may have been a starting point for Scott, but then, so was the vulgar idea of an "Alien Prequel," and he tends to gravitate toward ambiguity rather than straight forward connecting the dots. The film as it is has a lot of room for alternative interpretations.

It still makes an interesting point about acts of destruction as an act of creation, and sacrifice. I've run across the cultural practices of early humans sacrificing their best individuals to the gods (or God) for the benefit of the tribe or community in some of the reading I've done exploring universal human myth patterns. For some early societies, they would set up a God-King on high to rule over them, then after his allotted reign, he would submit to ritual sacrifice in service to the community. "A King has his reign, and then he dies. It's inevitable."

I get the impression that this is a pattern of human behavior that is a deeply engrained part of our species' psychological make-up. You can fit the story of Jesus into the pattern, in a sense. I think it's still with us, too, it just manifests in marginally more "acceptable" ways. We build up the occasional political figure, sports star, or hollywood celebrity in our society's collective consciousness, build up their reputation, set them up high on a pedestal. But it's only ever a prelude to destroying them, tearing them apart. Two sides of the same coin, perhaps? On one side of it is the desire to sacrifice something precious to appease God or the gods favor, in order to benefit humanity, move us forward. On the other side, a homicidal (deicidal?) inclination towards our gods, and kings, anyone who sets themselves on high over us, or who we place up there. That's very unfortunate.

The Engineer's mutagenic liquid has been the main source of curiosity, I worked out some of it, but it makes it even more interesting as a substance that reacts to a persons intent (it works for me when I recall the idea of a variety of secret formulas that give characters superpowers in the comics, "It only amplifies the characteristics you already possess." The physical embodiment of sin itself, in liquid form, it's utterly captivating a concept. It fits with the idea I've been assuming, which is similar to what another poster suggested earlier, having to do with the nature of the Engineers and Prometheus.

Someone mentioned the idea that the sacrificial Engineer at the beginning was Prometheus. But that liquid they use, they all don't have a good handle on it, do they? I like the idea that the Engineers as a species are an entire race embodying the Prometheus ethic; it's fun to think that they acquired the liquid from something else; and their reaction to us is informed by their encounter/s with whatever originally possessed the liquid (Do they think we will eventually want to kill them, because they know how they felt when they were in a similar circumstance: they met and wanted to kill whatever their father/god/maker was and steal his technology, too? They already tried it themselves, to an extent?). We only see male Engineers. One possiblity that occured to me was what if they are cursed in some way, their life-cycle is symbiotically/parasitically linked with the Alien/Xenomorph life form. The Engineers are cursed to being torn apart from inside as part of their joint life cycle with the Aliens in punishment for taking the liquid (like Prometheus was cursed to being perpetually torn apart, healed, and torn apart in an endless cycle of tormented life for stealing fire).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 2:46 pm