Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
Paeter
ComiKate
Rickster
7 posters

Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises Empty Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises

Post  Rickster July 21st 2012, 1:56 am

I came across this article on what the ending of the Dark Knight rises means. I haven't read it because I haven't seen the movie yet but I thought I would share it here read discuss what ever I'll read it next week after I get to see the movie

http://whatculture.com/film/the-dark-knight-rises-spoilers-what-does-the-ending-really-mean.php
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises Empty Re: Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises

Post  ComiKate July 21st 2012, 3:51 am

** Spoilers! **

I agree with the writer of the article. I think Nolan indeed wanted to kill Wayne off but was under some restrictions from WB. This was his solution. Now WB can do whatever they want with future sequels, but his interpretation can stand on its own nevertheless.

And I do think WB will do a Dark Knight Returns with that so-called Robin (ah, that moment was indeed a groan when I saw it. Really?! Didn't they read any comics at all?!).
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises Empty Re: Article on the ending of the Dark Knight Rises

Post  Paeter July 23rd 2012, 8:10 pm

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! In fact, let's just call this a warning for the whole thread. Read at your own risk everybody!

A dead Bruce Wayne is more in keeping with the history of the comics, I think. (Or at least the history of Batman I enjoyed.) Bruce Wayne is too haunted and driven to ever retire and spend his twilight years smiling at french cafes.

Though unlike the writer of the article, I predict (and hope) that WB will simply do another relaunch of the character (maybe without an "origin focused" movie). A movie about Blake being the new Batman would and should get axed by fans and Geoff Johns (if they listen and let him do his job) before it gets off the ground.

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub July 23rd 2012, 9:43 pm

Paeter wrote:SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! In fact, let's just call this a warning for the whole thread. Read at your own risk everybody!

A dead Bruce Wayne is more in keeping with the history of the comics, I think. (Or at least the history of Batman I enjoyed.) Bruce Wayne is too haunted and driven to ever retire and spend his twilight years smiling at french cafes.

I draw your attention to WB's "Batman Beyond" series. Bruce can and does retire, at least in that world. I could see (and wouldn't mind seeing) WB's "relaunch" be a leap forward to the "Batman Beyond" mythology. Although I would rather see a spin off into "Nightwing" with Gordon-Levitt assuming that role, instead of a Dark Knight Returns.
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322

Post  BenAvery July 23rd 2012, 10:06 pm

I can go either way.

Consider, on one hand, that one theme in the movie is "new start". Bruce promised that to Selina. Also, Batman plans for EVERY contingency, AND Alfred was basically pushing him to stop. Turn it over to someone else.

Consider, on the other hand, this comes from the guy behind Inception. That dream-like ending does not feel like anything else in the entire series, and what I was stuck with was the same feeling I got when watching the end of Lord of the Rings -- as Frodo passed on, out of this world. We see Bruce in a new place -- a "heaven" if you would, similar to Frodo and Bilbo's leaving with the elves.

It just has that feeling. It could go either way.

If he IS dead, I love the idea that the entire trilogy is actually Alfred's story, played out in the life of his "son".
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 24th 2012, 7:21 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:
    I draw your attention to WB's "Batman Beyond" series. Bruce can and does retire, at least in that world.

Yeah, and that kind of "retirement" works for me. He physically can't be in the suit anymore... but he doesn't quit. And even when he does for awhile at the start of the series before the new kid comes along, he's not at peace about it if I remember correctly. After that he works behind the scenes and really provides the brains and much of the drive of the "Batman Beyond Operation" going on.

Man, you're making me want to go buy that series!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster July 24th 2012, 9:43 pm

[quote="Paeter"]SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS! In fact, let's just call this a warning for the whole thread. Read at your own risk everybody!
    [quote]

Sorry I didn't put spoiler alert because I thougt since it was an article about the ending spoilers were a given

I think it should have ended without us seeing Bruce. Keep the clues that Bruce fixed the Auto Pilot the missing pearls etc. and have Alfred at the dinner and just the look in his face lets us know that he sees Bruce.
    Michael Caine is a good enough actor that he could have sold it and it would have been more debatable if he lived or died. Like the spinnig top in Inception
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 25th 2012, 7:13 pm

Rickster wrote:I think it should have ended without us seeing Bruce. Keep the clues that Bruce fixed the Auto Pilot the missing pearls etc. and have Alfred at the dinner and just the look in his face lets us know that he sees Bruce.

I agree. In fact I thought for sure it would end that way until they cut away and actually showed Bruce. As much as I don't like seeing Bruce retire, it would have been a more subtle and interesting ending to not directly show him but just cue off of Alfred's face. (I'd believe it if that was Nolan's intent and some studio execs said they had to re-film and show Bruce.)

www.spiritblade.com
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf September 4th 2012, 11:53 am

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was disappointed that they cut to Bruce.
    I have a friend who thought this was the greatest movie ever and, when I pointed out that they never showed how Batman got into isolated Gotham, he replied with the common-but-lazy "He's Batman" to explain it. I joked that they might as well have just cut to him standing over Bane at the end to show that he won the fight in the same way, then I just realized that that's pretty much what they did here. Passing comments about repaired auto-pilots aside, how did he survive?
    "He's Batman"
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington September 28th 2012, 12:57 am

Ah, somebody agrees with me about Batman's death/not death ant he end of TDKR.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-Really-Happened-End-Dark-Knight-Rises-32061.html

Justsaying...
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster October 3rd 2012, 9:09 pm

the one problem with the "how did Alfred Know where Bruces was at?" question is the fact that The pearl necklace that had the tracker in it was missing and the "how could batman get out in time?" when he was still I think Nolan could easly trick us into thinking Batman was still flying when he had hit the ejection long before.(like Peter Jackson made it look like the Hobbits where still in the bed when the black riders stab them in Fellowship)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 7:13 pm