Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Man of Steel!!!

BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Man of Steel!!! Empty Man of Steel!!!

Post  BenAvery July 23rd 2012, 9:59 pm

Which trailer did YOU get to see?

Was it Ridley Scott's Robin Hood or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?!? (Russell Crowe or Kevin Costner -- i just can't get over Clark's two dads being both Robin Hoods . . . is his grandpa played by Errol Flynn?

When I saw The Dark Knight Rises, it was Pa Kent's voiceover, and he said: “You’re not just anyone. One day, you’re going to have to make a choice. You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, it’s going to change the world.”

i love it!

You can see them both here: http://strangersandaliens.com/2012/07/superman-teaser/

This gives me hope for the movie, if this accurately reflects the themes of the movie.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Man of Steel!!! Empty Re: Man of Steel!!!

Post  Paeter July 24th 2012, 7:16 pm

I heard the Pa Kent trailer at DKR, but LOVED the Jor-el version! Thanks for the link!

It would be GREAT to see a Superman flick where the title character is an inspiration to others instead of the brooding, perpetually frowning version the New 52 gave us. (Or the child-support paying version from "Superman Returns".)

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington July 28th 2012, 1:05 am

I've seen both versions and I can't remember which one I saw in theaters. I am hopeful for this movie. With Zach Snider directing and Christopher Nolan producing, we will hopefully have super-awesome action and visuals and a great story!! This trailer is just a teaser and it really doesn't show you much, but it sounds like both his parents are being portrayed well IMO. Can't wait! jocolor
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf September 10th 2012, 12:56 pm

I'd be more worried about some stupid post-modern, non-linear, pretentious twaddle mucking up a good character, like so many interpretations do. The voice-overs sound good, but then so did the teasers for Returns (with the awesome Brando quotes) and look how that turned out when someone wanted to chuck their own message into Superman. Not only that, that movie was also made by a director who had earned a lot of geek cred with some groundbreaking and grounded superhero action, and it still went sour.
    I'm not convinced it'll be garbage, not by a long shot, but Snyder hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt with me.
    The fact is, Superman is a hard character to get right because it's so easy to make him dull (like the 50's show where he just breaks in, saves Lois, laughs at the crooks shooting him...rinse and repeat) or screw him up with Frank Miller-esqe "character depth", like in Returns where he was just a douche. I don't keep up on the comics, so I just take Paeter's word that they're botching him.
    I'd have to say that my favorite version of ol' Supes was in the Animated Series and its Justice League successors. If they bring that Superman to the table, I'll be all over it.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington September 10th 2012, 5:55 pm

Dunadwarf wrote:I'd be more worried about some stupid post-modern, non-linear, pretentious twaddle mucking up a good character, like so many interpretations do. The voice-overs sound good, but then so did the teasers for Returns (with the awesome Brando quotes) and look how that turned out when someone wanted to chuck their own message into Superman. Not only that, that movie was also made by a director who had earned a lot of geek cred with some groundbreaking and grounded superhero action, and it still went sour.
    I'm not convinced it'll be garbage, not by a long shot, but Snyder hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt with me.
    The fact is, Superman is a hard character to get right because it's so easy to make him dull (like the 50's show where he just breaks in, saves Lois, laughs at the crooks shooting him...rinse and repeat) or screw him up with Frank Miller-esqe "character depth", like in Returns where he was just a douche. I don't keep up on the comics, so I just take Paeter's word that they're botching him.
    I'd have to say that my favorite version of ol' Supes was in the Animated Series and its Justice League successors. If they bring that Superman to the table, I'll be all over it.

Agreed! IMO Superman needs to be a good, nobel man. He has rules (taught to him by Pa and Ma Kent) that he keeps without compromising. He is kind and honorable and just an all around good guy. That is a hard character to pull off without having a shallow, boring character, but it can be done! I thought Captain America: TFA pulled that off nicely. Hopefully Man of Steel works just as well.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 10th 2012, 11:06 pm

DNArington wrote:

Agreed! IMO Superman needs to be a good, nobel man. He has rules (taught to him by Pa and Ma Kent) that he keeps without compromising. He is kind and honorable and just an all around good guy. That is a hard character to pull off without having a shallow, boring character, but it can be done! I thought Captain America: TFA pulled that off nicely. Hopefully Man of Steel works just as well.

Couldn't have said it better. Much of the time watching the Cap movie and Avengers I thought, "Now why couldn't they have made SUPERMAN like this in "Returns"?

Hopefully, with Caps success, they'll feel like they can "risk" doing supes as a noble, good character who believes in absolute moral values and ideas... But with his costume looking alot like the new 52 version in promotional still, I don't have high hopes.

I AM a Zack Snyder fan, though. So I'm at least hopeful it will be a visually rockin' superhero flick.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 1:17 am