Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
DNArington
Dunadwarf
6 posters

Star Trek!

Poll

Which is your favorite version of Star Trek?

[ 1 ]
    Star Trek! I_vote_lcap11%Star Trek! I_vote_rcap [11%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Star Trek! I_vote_lcap0%Star Trek! I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    [ 3 ]
    Star Trek! I_vote_lcap33%Star Trek! I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 3 ]
    Star Trek! I_vote_lcap33%Star Trek! I_vote_rcap [33%] 

Total Votes: 9
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Star Trek! Empty Star Trek!

Post  Dunadwarf September 1st 2012, 12:33 pm

As the creator of the poll, I won't vote, but anyone who listened to my review on Paeter's podcast would know that I'm a huge DS9 fanboy!
    You?
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Star Trek! Empty Re: Star Trek!

Post  DNArington September 1st 2012, 3:25 pm

I'm shamed to say I haven't seen much Star Trek. I've seen a handful of episodes from the original series (at least I'm pretty sure it was the the original series) and wasn't very impressed. I've seen two or three of the older movies and found them fun, but my favorite Star Trek hands down is J.J. Abrams' reboot. That movie is really great IMO.
    Your review of DS9 on the podcast did get me interested in that series.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill September 1st 2012, 6:21 pm

I'm a huge fan of Trek in general. Although with Voyager and Enterprise I mostly feel regret because with a little bit tweaking of details and better continuity they could of been amazing shows.

Since Trek has gone off the air I've read some of the relaunch novels and they are pretty awesome. Not like the earlier novels back when it was still being broadcast because the episodes began where they ended, no lasting growth or change in the status quo and an over abundance of writers to the point of overload. Now that they've got a dedicated cadre of writers they've stretched out and done some pretty awesome things that where limited due to limits of TV budgets.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub September 2nd 2012, 5:46 pm

I never really liked the animated series. As for the television series, I think I would have to say I thoroughly enjoyed them all.

However, DS9 I think was my favorite. For several reasons; Benjamin Sisko was an awesome Commander/captain, and the Defiant (kick butt, over-powered, undersized gun of a ship....with pulse phasers!).

Voyager was okay. Not the best, but I lived with it. I'm currently on a Netflix marathon of Voyager.

Enterprise was acceptable. I like the idea of the MACOS. One of the things that could have been explored (in perhaps another series) was the more seedy/darker side of Gene's future. Perhaps a series about a Special Ops team based off the MACOS?

The biggest annoyance I had with most every incarnation of ST is that the crewmembers, no matter if they were on duty or off duty, tended to wear those annoying jumpsuit uniforms. I mean, seriously, didn't they still have blue jeans and tee shirts in the future? Very rarely did we seem to see anyone in Starfleet outside of their uniforms.
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf October 6th 2012, 1:21 pm

I would have really enjoyed a post-war, rebuilding series to follow DS9 and Voyager, with lots of cameo possibilities. Maybe centered on Section 31, who I still call more soiled heroes than villains since they basically won the Dominion War for the Federation.
    If they ever do any more Trek series that's not reboot follow-up, I think it should be some sort of anthology-type series that follows one or two characters as they move across the established galaxy, discovering new worlds still, but also fleshing out what we know and love.

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 8th 2012, 2:02 pm

Dunadwarf, did you give in and vote after all? I just noticed that DS9 passed up the Abrams reboot!

www.spiritblade.com
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf October 9th 2012, 5:32 pm

I did not. I think it's aged the best, largely because it's chief weaknesses (obscurity and serialization) are negated in these access-any-show-for-free-online days.
    I fear I have a reputation now.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate October 13th 2012, 3:58 pm

Soooooo hard to choose!

I really love DS9 (own all seasons on DVD and keep watching them), but I also love Enterprise (I think I'm one of three people in the whole world. I actually own all four seasons on DVD as well) and Voyager was cool too.

In the end I went for the reboot however, since that movie was too awesome not to vote for. Or maybe young Kirk was too handsome for me not to let him influence my vote. Rolling Eyes

Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub October 14th 2012, 8:00 am

ComiKate wrote:Soooooo hard to choose!

I really love DS9 (own all seasons on DVD and keep watching them), but I also love Enterprise (I think I'm one of three people in the whole world. I actually own all four seasons on DVD as well) and Voyager was cool too.

Going through Voyager on Netflix. I will probably be person #4 who actually liked Enterprise (theme song kind sucked).
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Post  Dunadwarf October 15th 2012, 5:48 pm

It got better in Seasons 3 and 4, but the first two seasons are really hard to get through, and this from a big time Trek nerd!
    Of course all the shows were pretty weak in their first season (or two) except for the original series, which had no legacy to fall back on and had to win an audience the hard way. It waited until season 3 to suck.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 11:03 am