Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers)

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) Empty Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers)

Post  Nathan James Norman September 22nd 2012, 9:01 am

*Spoilers* (For the ongoing Green Lantern Series)

So for those of you who've been reading the Green Lantern Series (All four of them really!) You know that the Guardians of the Universe have finally revealed their plan for the entire universe . . . the removal of freewill!

So how does my theological mind read into this? Well, the Guardians were Arminians and believed the power of (free) will could change the universe. Well, now the Guardians have converted to staunch Calvinism . . . because the universe would be better off without any will at all.

lol!

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) Rise_o11

Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) Empty Re: Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers)

Post  Dunadwarf September 24th 2012, 12:48 pm

From what I know of the Corps (which is limited, so feel free to correct me), isn't will the means by which a Lantern used his or her ring? Disregarding the moral and theological implications, how would their agents function if they can't will the energy into the means by which they enforce the wishes of the Guardians.
    Also, a bit of hypocrisy...how can a person or group decide to eliminate Free Will without exercising it to make the decision to eliminate Free Will? I guess it's a resource only the few in control have the right to possess.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) Empty Re: Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers)

Post  tmorrill September 24th 2012, 6:26 pm

Eh, that sounds more like AoG or something. They aren't really sure what they believe so they just take what they like from both!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 24th 2012, 8:09 pm

Interesting take! I like it.

Or maybe they're going for (sort of) a hindu point of view: all power in the hands of several gods (or godlike creatures) who rule all "lesser beings" with an iron fist,

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) Guardians

eventually reducing them to little more than will-less slaves (for everything is karma, not much you can do about that except in your "next life" (promises promises)).

Or in "ring" terms: they're subconsciously turning to the power of the Black - for their rigorous, fear-based need for control is turning more and more evil and will ultimately attack life itself.

Oh well anyway, I'm soooo looking forward to this major Third Army crossover between those four titles! bounce

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman September 24th 2012, 9:32 pm

ComiKate wrote:
    Oh well anyway, I'm soooo looking forward to this major Third Army crossover between those four titles! bounce

I agree! It was a pretty smart move on their part because I was considering dropping Red Lanterns (great concept/poor execution, except Dex Starr - he's amazing), but now I can't!

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) Thumbnail

ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 29th 2012, 10:27 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    ComiKate wrote:

I agree! It was a pretty smart move on their part because I was considering dropping Red Lanterns (great concept/poor execution, except Dex Starr - he's amazing), but now I can't!

Totally agree, Red Lanterns could have been so much better. I still expect them to drop the book like a brick as soon as Third Army is over.
    And yeah, Rage Kitty rocks!

Green Lantern and Theological Conversion (Comic Series Spoilers) DexStar

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 9:15 pm