Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Red Dwarf New Series

BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Red Dwarf New Series Empty Red Dwarf New Series

Post  BenAvery October 4th 2012, 12:59 am

Any Red Dwarf fans here?

For those who AREN'T, Red Dwarf is a comedy sci-fi show from the BBC that ran eight seasons, came back for a three episode season about a decade later on Dave network, and now has a full six episode series coming this month!

It's sci-fi, and in some ways is better sci-fi than many other TV shows, even though it's a comedy. They use the sci-fi tropes in humorous ways, but also tell some decent sci-fi stories in their own right. The episode about JFK's assassination combines slapstick, dark comedy, and high stakes time travel in a way you just don't see anywhere else. Captain Picard would never try to convoke JFK to do what he did . . . the Doctor would find a way around it . . . but these guys ASK JFK to do something so awful . . . anyway . . .

I'm pretty psyched that the new series is coming soon! I don't know the details of how we'll be able to see it in the States (I had to wait for Red Dwarf: Back to Earth came out on DVD -- I don't torrent, but was SOOOOOoooo tempted to for this), butit looks like a return to form for the show in the sneak peaks I've seen.

Meanwhile, while episode 1 of series 1 was "The End" . . . episode 6 of this series is "The Beginning". I hope we get a proper ending.

~ Ben
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Red Dwarf New Series Empty Re: Red Dwarf New Series

Post  UKSteve October 4th 2012, 1:20 pm

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve October 5th 2012, 6:03 am

Well, after one episode it might be a bit early to tell, but the signs are good for that return to form.

Rimmer pulls some great faces, Cat gets some great lines (especially when bantering with Lister), and Kryten is still the unheard voice of reason. The jokes are there, the science fiction elements are there, and there's even some potential for meaningful discussion, if you can stop making moose jokes after watching it.

And - and here's the clincher - it was waaaay better the Back to Earth.

I've more thoughts on my blog at http://christiansf.blogspot.co.uk.
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery October 5th 2012, 4:17 pm

Still no word if we'll get it here in the States, so I'll hold off reading your review for the time being. All I know is that it will be on DVD before Christmas, supposedly.

We just recorded another episode of Strangers and Aliens and, well, sadly I found out my cohosts have not watched Red Dwarf AND don't plan to . . . I believe there is a LOT of potential conversation in MANY Red Dwarf episodes.

I'm so glad to hear you think it's a return to form, though. I actually didnt mind Return to Earth, but only after my second viewing. The first time around, it really confounded me. The second time through, I was able to appreciate what they were doing. It was like Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home . . . or the many time travel episodes on Star Trek. It's cheaper to shoot present day and locally.

~ Ben
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve October 5th 2012, 7:10 pm

It is a plot-friendly review, but I think I pulled the important points out in my last post! The DVD is out in the UK a couple of weeks after the series ends - conveniently timed for Christmas too.

I agree, there are a lot of good talking points scattered through Red Dwarf, from the concept of Silicon Heaven to video game addiction, just off the top of my head...

I once planned to run a blog series on Red Dwarf and how it deals with religion, but somehow never got round to it. Maybe it would be timely to start that now!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 10th 2024, 5:41 am