Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
DNArington
Rickster
Paeter
7 posters

Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible? Empty Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible?

Post  Paeter April 24th 2013, 2:16 pm

Some characters, like Superman, were actually modeled after figures in the Bible, or are written with them in mind. (Superman was originally modeled on Moses and later inspired by Jesus.)

What other Biblical figures can you find parallels for in geek entertainment (tv, comics, video games, anything).

Who has something in common with Moses? With Abraham? With Peter? With David? How about Mary Magdalene? Ruth? Adam and Eve?

These are just a few "big names" that come to mind, but you can think of your own as well. Any parallels, weak or strong, come to mind?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible? Empty Re: Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible?

Post  Rickster April 24th 2013, 9:04 pm

OK it doesn't falls under the geeky category but Moses was one of the inspiration for the story of the Lion King.
    A child growing up as royalty leaves his home after being accused of murder, grows up in exile, and then after having a supernatural experiences returns to the place they grew up to free their people from a evil dictator.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible? Empty Re: Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible?

Post  DNArington April 25th 2013, 12:14 am

In some ways Hope (from Marvel Comics) is portrayed as a Jesus character. After the House of M story-line the entire population of mutants is wiped out except for around 200 and the mutant gene is no longer spreading, so mutantkind are doomed to extinction. Then along comes Hope, a mutant. Not only a mutant though, the prophesied messiah of the Mutant race. Cyclops and many of the X-Men believe that she will bring about the return of the mutant race and all of this came to a head in Avengers vs. X-Men (so spoilers) where she eventually did bring back the mutant race.

Which Of Your Favorite Characters Are Paralleled In The Bible? Detail

But I would put that in the weak analogy section because aside from several story elements that are different (like the fact that once the mutant race is back she's like "Uuuuh...What now?"), she acts like an angry teen girl (because she is.) So in the respect of being a good person, let alone perfect, she falls way short. (She is the daughter of Cable after all. Like father like daughter.)

I'll probably think up another one while this is rolling around in my head.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate April 28th 2013, 8:47 pm

Gibbs in NCIS sometimes reminds me of God the Father. The way he leads his team, the way he cares for them, especially the women (whom he treats like daughters). His romantic heart.
    And of course his heroism and his drive to protect the innocent.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate April 28th 2013, 8:51 pm

Oh, and Anakin Skywalker in part III Revenge of the Sith reminds me of Adam and the Fall. It's why I cried my eyes out when Anakin turned evil.
    It reminded me of me and my sinful, fallen state.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 29th 2013, 2:47 pm

ComiKate wrote:Gibbs in NCIS sometimes reminds me of God the Father.

What does NCIS stand for?

www.spiritblade.com
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill April 29th 2013, 7:36 pm

Sadly right now I'm drawing a blank on the question you asked, but I'm sure something will come to me later. So for right now consider Neo from the Matrix my placeholder.

Paeter wrote:
    ComiKate wrote:Gibbs in NCIS sometimes reminds me of God the Father.

What does NCIS stand for?

Navy Criminal Investigative Service. It's a procedural cop TV show that's pretty good for that kind of show.

Time to drop some real world knowledge yo!

Basically the Navy's equivalent of the FBI. Each of the branches has their own FBI-esque organization.

In the Air Force it's the Office of Special Investigation (as seen on Eagle Eye by the one chick who helped ...kill?... the AI)

The Army has the Criminal Investigation Command (CID because well, they're the Army)They've been mentioned in a few movies before, the only one that comes to mind though is the horrible made for TV movie Murder at the Presidio.

The Marines have the USMC CID and often work with or for NCIS since the Marines fall under the Navy.

The Coast Guard has Coast Guard Investigative Service (CGIS)
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy May 2nd 2013, 9:37 pm

Neo is the first one who came to mind for me as well... I guess because it was so obvious.

I like your insight into Anakin and Adam, Kate.

Admin

Post  Paeter May 3rd 2013, 6:58 pm

Satan/Lucifer metaphors aren't uncommon either. Darth Vader comes to mind.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman May 3rd 2013, 7:53 pm

Paeter wrote:Satan/Lucifer metaphors aren't uncommon either.

I often think of Barney from How I Met Your Mother to be a good representative of Satan's personality. Barney is fun, funny, and witty. He gets his friends into some really warped situations. And his womanizing is all in good fun.

That's kinda how I picture Satan. Yeah, the things he does are really awful if you think about it . . . but he's a really fun guy.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate May 6th 2013, 4:39 am

Paeter wrote:Satan/Lucifer metaphors aren't uncommon either. Darth Vader comes to mind.
    I slightly disagree with you here - although I fully understand your point as well, of course. Wink

To me, the Sith Lord would be a representative of satan. He is true Evil, the "black source" behind the sith minions as it were.
    Darth Vader would be more of a fallen Adam to me. Like Adam, he is tempted, falls for it, sins a lot, but then... finds redemption and forgiveness. I don't think there's any redemption or grace for satan. There is for Fallen Adam though.

Hence my comparison of Darth Vader to (fallen) Adam (or Humanity if you will), and the Sith Lord (who is thrown into a pit of darkness...) to satan.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 6th 2013, 11:27 am

ComiKate wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Satan/Lucifer metaphors aren't uncommon either. Darth Vader comes to mind.
    I slightly disagree with you here

And I'd agree with your disagreement! The thing about Anakin Skywalker is that Lucas used all kinds of metaphors with him. He may be Satan, but he's also Jesus. It just depends on what moment of his life you're looking at.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter May 6th 2013, 11:31 am

Nathan James Norman wrote: Yeah, the things he does are really awful if you think about it . . . but he's a really fun guy.

I don't think of Satan as being fun himself. But he gives that impression by utilizing and twisting fun things that actually originate with God. Food, sex, wealth... all of these things, in and of themselves, are good. But Satan corrupts them and advocates a use of them that seems gratifying in the short term but actually robs them of their highest pleasure in the end.

As for Barney, I haven't seen "How I Met Your Mother", but I think of Barney the dinosaur as being a lot like Satan.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster May 6th 2013, 3:27 pm

Paeter wrote:I think of Barney the dinosaur as being a lot like Satan.

I hate you/you love me/were a great big family/I want you to burn for eternity/won't you say you love me too

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 10:10 pm