Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Annoying Characters

Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Annoying Characters Empty Annoying Characters

Post  Dunadwarf October 24th 2012, 5:28 pm

What characters in sci-fi or fantasy can you just not stand. I don't mean the ones that makes you roll your eyes and laugh, but the ones that you honestly, truly, viciously want to see slapped, beaten, mutilated and fed their own vivisected body parts.
    As I've subtly discussed on the Farscape thread, for me it's Chiana. Another for me is Star Trek's Lwaxanna Trois...and Deanna, for that matter. I think my button people acting like skanks and looking down on those who disapprove. Not disagreeing, mind you, but actually thinking badly of those who aren't "open-minded" like they are and who resent being thought of as...well, what they are by their own admission. It's the ones who try to have their cake and eat it too. It's not always about whoring (although that's the case with all three of these characters) but the double standard in general.
    So what are your pet peeve characters?

Last edited by Dunadwarf on October 24th 2012, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Annoying Characters Empty Re: Annoying Characters

Post  Paeter October 24th 2012, 6:34 pm

Man, I remember TNG very differently. "Whoring" doesn't come to mind when I think of Deanna and her mom.

But Deanna IS on my list for the same reason as Storm and Rogue in the 90's animated X-men series. All three had the tendency to be drama queens who pass out suddenly to communicate the great evil the other protagonists were about to face. Starfleet and the X-men need to up their recruitment standards!

Beyond that, no one is coming to mind. Possibly because I've successfully purged them from my memory. (Guess I better not keep an eye on this thread, huh?)

www.spiritblade.com
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf October 24th 2012, 7:45 pm

To be fair, when it comes to whoring, Deanna is probably no worse than most your Trek regulars...well, let's say she's at the top of normal. She's a little less skanky than Kirk or Riker, but she hooked up with quite a few regulars and guests during the show and movies. She's also a drama queen, like you said, and utterly useless. I think it's the pimping the characters often do, acting like she's some sort of benevolent deity come to bless us all that annoys me (look at how Riker talks about her in Season 3's "The Price").
    I don't know, Paeter, I think it can be cathartic to remember the obnoxious characters and share the trauma they visited upon us.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington October 24th 2012, 9:21 pm

Paeter wrote: Storm and Rogue in the 90's animated X-men series. All three had the tendency to be drama queens who pass out suddenly to communicate the great evil the other protagonists were about to face. Starfleet and the X-men need to up their recruitment standards!

Completely agree about these two. I always found them quite annoying and Rogue always seemed to have the "I'm a woman so I am obviously better then all you men" mentality. Like I said, annoying.

Just watched Van Helsing and I gotta' say, those girl vampiers that were always flying around drove me NUTS!! Evil or Very Mad They are are the "bad-guys" granted, but they were SO ANNOYING!!! Mad

Nothing else is coming to mind right now...
    Nuinil

Activity : 6
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Nuinil November 20th 2012, 7:15 pm

I remember reading the first book and part of the second of a trilogy. By the second book I became the meme of rage. The main character was a total, utter Mary Sue and probably part the author's wish fulfillment. I have never come across a fiction character that was that..perfect.

She is unearthly beautiful, yet believes people stare at her (and lust after her) because she is ugly as sin (I guess she never sees her own reflection..). She is the chosen one, she will fullfill a prophecy, queen, immortal, wields a fabled weapon and is skilled with it, is talented in general, like in singing, magic, diplomatic skills, has a obligatory vague traumatic/sad past (she had a great family, but ended up in prostitution..probably the author making sure she wasn't a wallflower or something) and her true love is a gorgeous half-dragon king. She is also motherly, considered loving/caring, loved, intelligent (despite being unintentional rather dim), etc.

She basically became all that in the second book. In the first book, she was pretty, but wasn't too Mary Sue-ish. The book had more stuff which were not to my taste, but the heroine took the cake.

Post  Guest November 20th 2012, 11:12 pm

Nuinil wrote:I remember reading the first book and part of the second of a trilogy. By the second book I became the meme of rage.

You became a...meme of rage...? :eyebrow: Curious turn of phrase. Smile

Nuinil wrote:The main character was a total, utter Mary Sue and probably part the author's wish fulfillment. I have never come across a fiction character that was that..perfect.

She is unearthly beautiful, yet believes people stare at her (and lust after her) because she is ugly as sin (I guess she never sees her own reflection..). She is the chosen one, she will fullfill a prophecy, queen, immortal, wields a fabled weapon and is skilled with it, is talented in general, like in singing, magic, diplomatic skills, has a obligatory vague traumatic/sad past (she had a great family, but ended up in prostitution..probably the author making sure she wasn't a wallflower or something) and her true love is a gorgeous half-dragon king. She is also motherly, considered loving/caring, loved, intelligent (despite being unintentional rather dim), etc.

She basically became all that in the second book. In the first book, she was pretty, but wasn't too Mary Sue-ish. The book had more stuff which were not to my taste, but the heroine took the cake.

Sounds like a series a friend told me about, first book called Rhapsody or something like that? I read reviews very similar to what you describe, and he seemed to suffer from a bout of selective objectivity, being usually very keened eyed at spotting out narrative problems.

As a commentary on the topic in general, getting annoyed too easily about fictional characters sounds like an exhausting expenditure of energy (for me personally, anyway).
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate November 22nd 2012, 5:07 pm

Nuinil wrote:I remember reading the first book and part of the second of a trilogy. By the second book I became the meme of rage. The main character was a total, utter Mary Sue and probably part the author's wish fulfillment. I have never come across a fiction character that was that..perfect.

Sounds a bit like the Tanith Lee trilogy about a white-haired woman, especially the part where you say she's stunningly beautiful but thinks she's as ugly as a monster. I think it was called the Birthgrave trilogy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 11:16 pm