Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

"Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications...

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

"Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications... Empty "Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications...

Post  Paeter September 4th 2013, 7:29 pm

I'm even more curious about where this game is headed. An MMO "God-game" where polytheism is the status quo, moral truth is relative to the god currently in charge and gods gain their power from "belief" collected from their worshipers.

The designer briefly implies that Christianity played at least some small role in design philosophy, although it sounded like just lip-service to Christianity, in addition to a massive over-simplification (even outright unintentional misrepresentation) of Biblical Christianity. "The entire concept of Christianity is free will".

He also seems to portray the idea of gods blending their worshipers into a single faith in a positive light and demanding exclusivity of worship in a negative one, but I could be reading that wrong.

It's also interesting to note Adam Sessler's (the interviewer) reaction to the theological elements. Clearly he thinks this is an interesting concept that has great appeal. If his view represents a large cross-section of gamers, this may be a game to keep an eye on, as it could very well affirm bad theology in the worst case scenario, or provide wonderful opportunity for worthwhile discussion in the best case scenario.

I'm not at all ready to say that Christians shouldn't play this game when it comes out. In fact I may conclude the opposite. Either way I plan to keep an eye on it.

I'm not a real fan of this type of gameplay though. (Civilization/world-building/etc.) Any fans of civ-type games that care to weigh in on this demo? Is it one you plan to try or buy? What do you think of the revealed theological implications?

www.spiritblade.com
    Changer4
    Changer4

Activity : 63
    Geek-Cred : 0

"Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications... Empty Re: "Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications...

Post  Changer4 February 9th 2015, 5:45 pm

Its certainly interesting, but lets not forget this is Peter Molyneux we're talking about. The man is known for blowing things way out of proportion, so I could easily see this game ending up a dud. The theology he presents is a bit troubling to say the least, I worry that he doesn't have much actual knowledge of the Christian faith, or alternatively that he does and is simply trying to define it for his own purposes. Both would make him wrong to make such a claim, the latter for obvious reasons, the former because anyone acting in such ignorance should at least not show try and affirm knowledge where they must be aware they are lacking.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

"Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications... Empty Re: "Godus" Demo Reveals More Implications...

Post  Paeter February 10th 2015, 5:12 pm

Well speak of the devil. This topic just got some attention here and then today...

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 5:10 pm