Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now! Empty Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now!

Post  Paeter March 2nd 2020, 12:22 pm

Was planning to go out and buy a niche RPG video game to review today (still planning to do that later this week if time allows) but saw that the FF7 remake demo has arrived on PS4, so I guess that's what I'm doing today instead! Stay tuned for a Trial & Error video soon! (Possibly uncut depending on the length of the demo!)

Anyone else going to play this? Have you already? What do you think?

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now! Empty Re: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now!

Post  DNArington March 4th 2020, 2:55 pm

I played it last night and it was pretty much what I expected from what I've seen of it. It has amazing visuals, some cool stylish action, and some fun character interactions, but it's also way too much of an RPG for my taste. It has turn-based elements to the combat, which I believe is what the original was, so it makes sense, but I don't care for that. It particularly annoyed me when I swung my sword at an enemy and clearly hit him, but then instead of damage numbers popping up it just said "missed". Mad

I enjoyed enough elements of it that I might try it out if I find it cheap at some point.
    There's a lot of quality there and I think there's going to be a big audience who loves it, but I'm probably not a part of that audience.

On somewhat related news: A Resident Evil 3 demo has been confirmed to be coming and I'm very excited for that!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now! Empty Re: Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo On PS4 Now!

Post  Paeter March 5th 2020, 9:56 am

DNArington wrote:I played it last night and it was pretty much what I expected from what I've seen of it. It has amazing visuals, some cool stylish action, and some fun character interactions, but it's also way too much of an RPG for my taste. It has turn-based elements to the combat, which I believe is what the original was, so it makes sense, but I don't care for that. It particularly annoyed me when I swung my sword at an enemy and clearly hit him, but then instead of damage numbers popping up it just said "missed". Mad

I could be wrong, but I've suspected for a long time that this kind of thing is what keeps these games from finding the biggest audience they possibly could. For decades they seem to be increasingly ashamed to be the turn-based RPGs they started as. (I seem to remember them specifically citing western audiences as their motive for moving toward real-time and action-oriented combat.) But in trying to please everyone they likely end up pleasing fewer than they could.

What they would be wise to notice is that this is the age of the geek, in that things once exclusively enjoyed by geeks (such as turn-based combat) are now enjoyed by many (see the big success of Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2). I actually think their audience would grow if they would once again fully embrace turn-based combat with interesting battle choices. Granted, DNArington, I don't think you would be part of that audience, so that doesn't help you. But I think it might be good for the success of the series.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 7:16 am