Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
Nathan James Norman
ProfessorAlan
Paeter
7 posters

Comics

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Comics Empty Comics

Post  Paeter August 14th 2010, 12:10 pm

Anybody digging on some comics these days?

I'm pretty strictly a DC man myself, though I dabble in the Marvel Ultimate Universe. (Though that may change as I found Ultimatum to be VERY disappointing.)

If I can try to summon them up from memory, the books I currently read every month are:

Superman
    Flash
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
    Teen Titans
    Titans
    JSA All-stars
    The Secret Six
    Birds Of Prey
    Brightest Day
    Ex Machina

I think that's it. GL is certainly my favorite character, but my favorite books to read are Secret Six and Birds Of Prey. Gail Simone is currently putting out books that I'm enjoying more then Geoff Johns, which is saying a ton in my book.

So what comics are you reading?

www.spiritblade.com
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Comics Empty Re: Comics

Post  ProfessorAlan August 14th 2010, 3:08 pm

I treat comics these days like I treat TV shows on pay-cable (and many on regular cable) ---- I wait for the DVD (the trade) to come out, as opposed to watching every new episode (issue). And I usually get these trades from the library, making me even further behind the curve.

So I just knocked out the first 5 Scott Pilgrims volumes, and completed 100 Bullets, and just started Y the Last Man. And I keep up with GL & Flash through trades.

Post  Guest August 14th 2010, 8:01 pm

The ecclectic collecting of a family member, coupled with the devastating disappointment of not being able to catch the final issue of a story arc I started collected (and was subsequently never able to find until a CD ROM came out) put me off of comics for decades, beyond just casual interest.

Easy access these days makes a world of difference. Trades and collections are mostly more satisfying, at least until you hear about the stuff that they didn't include!

The comics I am reading through are mostly older ones, but some are not that old, and are listed in the What Am I Reading Now topic. All in accessible collections.

Paeter, you dabble in the Marvel Ultimate universe? You've described quite a lot of dabbling, ISTR.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman August 14th 2010, 9:09 pm

I was super-heavy into weekly collecting a couple of years ago, then got overwhelmed with an aspect of work for months and lost track. Instead of retracing my steps, I'm just sticking to the trade-paperback stuff for now.

Currently I'm reading:

The Blackest Night Saga
    Justice Society of America
    Invinicible
    The Walking Dead
    The Brave and the Bold
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy August 16th 2010, 2:50 pm

I am not a regular reader of anything. I enjoy taking my kids to the comic book store every few weeks and we all get some...I usually get two or three.

I have just recently discovered reading comics through Comixology on my iPhone. The first one I picked up was The Walking Dead and really liked it. I'm still new to it so I'm grabbing the free content at first. But I could definitely see myself buying some of The Walking Dead and checking out lots other things. My main draw with Comixology is easier access to comics: two things with this will be that I am able read more frequently, more comics and that I'll be have access to check out some more unique (maybe independent) comics.

Admin

Post  Paeter August 16th 2010, 5:31 pm

Desert Kris wrote:

Paeter, you dabble in the Marvel Ultimate universe? You've described quite a lot of dabbling, ISTR.

Well, dabbling is a relative term here. Compared to my consistent DC comics reading, I "dabble" in reading Ultimate Marvel stuff. Wink

www.spiritblade.com
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan August 19th 2010, 8:23 pm

I just hit the 25-cent bin to work on some old holes in the collection -- I have nearly a complete run of Jon Sable, Freelance.

I am also working on my early 1990s Superman books, to keep up with the From Crisis to Crisis podcast, which is currently up to these books.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 19th 2010, 8:44 pm

ProfessorAlan wrote:

I am also working on my early 1990s Superman books, to keep up with the From Crisis to Crisis podcast, which is currently up to these books.

Sounds like a cool podcast!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster August 21st 2010, 9:35 pm

I'm not really into Comic books (probably could get into them but I don't wont to get suck into any more things at the moment) but I do want to get the Chuck Trade and the Circle Trilogy trade
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 22nd 2010, 1:55 am

Rickster wrote:I'm not really into Comic books (probably could get into them but I don't wont to get suck into any more things at the moment) but I do want to get the Chuck Trade and the Circle Trilogy trade

Don't blame you for wanting to avoid getting sucked in. It's a monthly hobby that racks up quite a bit of change out of my pocket! You get a TON more story bang for your buck buying paperback novels.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike August 27th 2010, 10:29 am

ProfessorAlan wrote:I treat comics these days like I treat TV shows on pay-cable (and many on regular cable) ---- I wait for the DVD (the trade) to come out, as opposed to watching every new episode (issue). And I usually get these trades from the library, making me even further behind the curve.

Same here, but I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who owns a comic book store, so he brings me up to date on stuff and we proofread ::cough cough:: books if it's really vital.

Right now, I'm hyped about Marvel's "The Thanos Imperative". I borrowed "Annihilation" core books from a friend and now I'm hunting the TPBs for the rest of the story. With 20 books in the series (three cross-overs and two ongoing series), I'm set for a little bit. Make Mine (Cosmic) Marvel!

Even though Batman Beyond (Adam Beechen) and Time Masters (Dan Jurgens) are both near and dear to my heart over at DC, they've already listed the trades for pre-order on Amazon. I just can't bring myself to $4/book for six issues, only to have the collected TPB sell for $15 three months after the story concludes. The way comics stories are constructed nowadays, I had a real convenient breaking point to say, "TPB from here on out."

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 27th 2010, 12:07 pm

[quote="mindspike"]
    ProfessorAlan wrote: The way comics stories are constructed nowadays, I had a real convenient breaking point to say, "TPB from here on out."

I envy you. I would honestly go this same route if I had a guarantee that the books I follow would be made into trades and in a timely manner. (Three months is awesome!) The Ultimate Marvel U faithfully puts everything into trades, so that's how I read there, but it's hard to know when DC will choose to make or not make a trade from an ongoing series. It's probably part of their evil plan to keep my money.

www.spiritblade.com
    hvymtlcowboy
    hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Activity : 125
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  hvymtlcowboy September 1st 2010, 11:08 pm

I just found a Serenity comic book from Dark Horse! And I think I missed 1 affraid My wife got me the 3 between the series and the movie, and then I found this one called 'Float Out' yesterday. Now I gotta hunt up any I( may have missed. Crying or Very sad
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike September 2nd 2010, 1:43 pm

My twin favorite resources:

http://comicbookdb.com
    DA bomb!

http://comicvine.com

Good luck with the search for Serenity!