Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"? Empty What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"?

Post  Paeter October 4th 2011, 6:09 pm

I've blabbed all of my thoughts on my blog and podcast. But what do YOU guys think? Any DC fans out there? Any NEW DC readers as of this month?
    (A buddy of mine has never collected comics and is now hooked on 9 digital DC titles!)

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"? Empty Re: What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"?

Post  mindspike October 5th 2011, 1:37 pm

I have high hopes for several of these books:

Savage Hawkman
    Detective Comics
    Both written by Tony Daniel, who first caught my attention as an artist in '05 with his cover run on Teen Titans. Since then, his Batman stories have impressed me enough that I'm willing to follow a book he's writing solo.

DCU Presents
    I don't know writer Paul Jenkins, but I'm all for an anthology style book with a rotating cast! Bring it on!

Resurrection Man
    I actually bought the first incarnation of this book in the 90s. (Hey, nobody makes good choices *all* the time.) This time around, it's the team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning that is bringing me to the table. Their work over at Marvel with Annihilation and the fallout thereof is one of the most impressive cosmic sagas I've ever read.

Voodoo
    I'm not so sure about the concept, but with Ron Marz on board it's at least not going to suck. Show us what you've got, Ron!

All-Star Western
    Blackhawks
    Men of War
    Westerns and military fiction hold a special place in my heart. I don't know any of these creators, but I'm willing to pick up the books and give them a shot just based on the concepts alone.

Otherwise, I'm glad to see Paul Levitz back on the helm of my beloved Legion of Super Heroes, but neither of these titles looks gear to go in a direction I want to follow.

Of course, in keeping with my current policy regarding comics purchases, I'll be waiting for the TPB to come out collecting whole runs of issues. And at $3-$4 a pop, that's a whole lot easier on my wallet.

Paeter
    Admin

What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"? Empty Re: What do you think of DC Comics' "New 52"?

Post  Paeter October 5th 2011, 5:20 pm

mindspike wrote:
    Of course, in keeping with my current policy regarding comics purchases, I'll be waiting for the TPB to come out collecting whole runs of issues. And at $3-$4 a pop, that's a whole lot easier on my wallet.

You might check out mailordercomics.com and do some math. You might be able to get your comics faster in individual issues for the same price as waiting for the trades. Then again, if mailordercomics sells TPBs (which I don't know if they do) you might be able to save even more.

Of course, this would remove your trip to the local comic shop if that's something you would miss.

www.spiritblade.com
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan November 5th 2011, 7:59 pm

My daughter (20 years old) decided it was time for her to buy some new comics with the New 52 -- for her, that has been Demon Knights & All-Star Western.

I have heard good things about manyo f the titles, and will pick some up as Trades next year.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 8th 2011, 5:23 pm

ProfessorAlan wrote:My daughter (20 years old) decided it was time for her to buy some new comics with the New 52 -- for her, that has been Demon Knights & All-Star Western.

Demon Knights rocks!

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub November 19th 2011, 12:45 pm

Unfortunately, despite being a pseudo-DC fan (I say that because of my limited exposure to the universe), I am just not in a position to be able to budget money for comic books.

This is a bit of a bummer, as I did want to start reading some of the titles. I guess I'll just have to read what Winst collects when I get time to go over to his place and visit.

Smile
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 21st 2011, 2:12 pm

Drew.Rub wrote:I guess I'll just have to read what Winst collects when I get time to go over to his place and visit.

Smile
    Yes! Trade Paperbacks and Friends. Two great savings plans for comics!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 10:32 am