Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Just one more turn

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Just one more turn Empty Just one more turn

Post  mikel.withers July 22nd 2015, 8:49 am

1 am
    That was the time, give or take, I really wasn't paying close attention. I had tread the treacherous paths, navigated turbulent waters, trudged over nearly insurmountable hills, and the promised land was in sight.
    It may have been my imagination, but I could hear the outraged cries of my opponents, and it was music to my ears.
    just
    one
    more
    turn
    So close.
    I was already late for bed, I'm a 10 o'clock kind of guy, so what would it matter, really. I could just finish what I had started and go to bed in the peace that comes from knowing you finished something. I'm drinking a big ol' cup of coffee now, pretty sure that will be my life's blood throughout the day.
    just
    one
    more
    turn
    Not gaming.
    Although there is certainly a link there, obvious in retrospect. No, instead, I was talking over a very current hot-button topic with a friend of mine who has a different view on the subject. If it was just a game, I'd not feel as bad at how it turned out. It was going so well at 1 am. I had avoided name calling, invective, pedantry (my personal vice) and my keel was as even as you could wish for... at 1 am. Did I really think I was at my best?
    just
    one
    more
    turn
    Bad words!
    I started saying that because some co-workers picked on me, "Mike, you never say bad words." Force of habit, really, it isn't like the sentiment isn't in my mind, but the connection between my mind and mouth is not a quick one...I can type about as fast as I can think, even if I have more spelling errors that way...big ol' potato picking hands...
    just
    one
    more
    turn
    Grow up.
    There, it happened, see? As fast as I thought it, that phrase was on my screen... and his. I'd hit the end of my chain. Ignorance I can handle, but willful blindness is another thing altogether. What a Bad Words I was... I had planted the seeds, watered the seeds, fertilized the seeds. I am not kidding when I say that my victory goal was in sight... but I tried to MAKE the seeds grow. There was no need for that: my friend isn't stupid or so stubborn as to allow himself to remain in error if he knows the truth, I just needed to give it time to germinate.
    just
    one
    turn
    too
    many
    Well, I could go on about trusting God once we do our part, and that sort of thing, but I don't think anyone reading this will need me to make those connections. I guess it has been awhile since I prayed that God not let the "me" get in His way... really could have done with that thought last night (this morning, pedantry, whatever). Coffee is almost done, will have to consider getting a new mug of it. Good thing my job is rather mindless, I'd be in serious trouble if I had to reason things through today.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Just one more turn Empty Re: Just one more turn

Post  Paeter July 22nd 2015, 11:27 am

Sorry that didn't go like you'd hoped.

I'm betting that if you apologize to your friend and completely take ownership of your remark it will go a long way toward allowing him to reconsider your words prior to the stumble. A real, humble apology can go a long way.

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers July 22nd 2015, 12:10 pm

me wrote:Well, that was uncalled for. I'm sorry, *person*, I got worked up there at the end, and turned into a jerk. I hope you will forgive me.
    And he did. Still, you get to a point where you just need to leave well enough alone, ya know? I'm lucky that it was a friend it happened with and not a complete or even semi-stranger, it could have been more damaging to a relationship that way. That is why it is here: hopefully it will come to mind if someone else ever finds themselves in this type of situation.
    "Am I being a Mike?.... maybe I should call it a day."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 11th 2024, 4:06 pm