Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+7
mindspike
Rickster
jazzact13
CreatorsPixels
mikel.withers
AdamCollings
Paeter
11 posters

Is There A "Geek" Style Of Music?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Is There A "Geek" Style Of Music? Empty Is There A "Geek" Style Of Music?

Post  Paeter March 1st 2016, 11:48 am

I'm curious if there are any common denominators among geeks regarding music styles. Care to share your favorites here to test that?

I like various kinds of electronic music, Film Score, and hard rock that includes significant electronic and/or orchestral/classical elements. Also still like some Steve Green (inspirational Christian music) now and then.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Is There A "Geek" Style Of Music? Empty Re: Is There A "Geek" Style Of Music?

Post  AdamCollings March 1st 2016, 5:10 pm

I like some film/TV score like Star Trek, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Superman etc.

I like some hardish Christian rock like Skillet, Kutless, Fireflight (not into the really hard stuff like Demon Hunter)

I like contemporary praise and worship.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers March 2nd 2016, 2:59 pm

I also like hard rock/metal Christian music, Red, Project 86, Skillet, Decyfer Down, some Pillar, some POD. I don't like the super-heavy stuff where you can't really tell what is being said without the lyrics in front of you.

But, I also like some Christian pop and hip hop like Toby Mac, MC Jin, Family Force 5, Newworldson, Reliant K, Switchfoot, Newsboys...

I am a really big Weird Al Yankovic fan, and ApologetiX does a pretty good Christian version of song parodies now that I think about it.
    There is also a guy Julian Smith, by name, that is a Youtube artist who does some fun music that I like.

However, I do not like contemporary praise and worship music. At. All.
    What I will do is listen to artists do old hymns. Fernando Ortega has some really excellent examples out there.

Editing to add:
    Oh, and Mongolian/Tuvan folk and overtone singing ala Hun Huur Tu and Altan Urag.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels March 2nd 2016, 8:33 pm

mikel.withers wrote:I also like hard rock/metal Christian music, Red, Project 86, Skillet, Decyfer Down, some Pillar, some POD. I don't like the super-heavy stuff where you can't really tell what is being said without the lyrics in front of you.

But, I also like some Christian pop and hip hop like Toby Mac, MC Jin, Family Force 5, Newworldson, Reliant K, Switchfoot, Newsboys...

I would agree completely with this. However when I'm working or need to concentrate I prefer to listen to something without lyrics. Not really sure what its called but my pandora channel is crazy. lots of retro video game track remakes, deadmau5, pegboard nerds, monster cat.....I don't even know really but very electronic and reminds you of playing video games.
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 March 19th 2016, 1:30 am

I like some mid-tempo electronic music. I like Tycho's "Awake", though not so fond of "Past is Prologue". Emancipator is good, and I recently discovered Major Fuzz. They all have a different sound, but they do some electronic music that's more than just rhythmic noise.

On the other side of my music tastes, I like the blues, especially recordings of live blues. There's a recording of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King doing something like a televised jam session together, and it's great.

And Tuvan throat singing is good, too. Heard Huur Huur Tu in concert a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster March 19th 2016, 2:35 am

Necro always seemed geeky to me
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers March 20th 2016, 8:56 am

jazzact wrote:Heard Huur Huur Tu in concert a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Sweet! I'd love to see them live. I got introduced to Tuvan throat singing (well, Mongol was the introduction...) through the Mongol movie and Altan Urag's work on it.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike March 23rd 2016, 8:47 am

I have to confess I'm also into the heavy hard rock. Skillet, POD, and Pillar all see a lot of play. I guess I'm still alone with Demon Hunter, Day of Fire, and Mortification. Mortification in particular came to me at a time in my life when I was rebelling against everything. The music is the hardest of the hard core, but the lyrics of Hammer of God and Envision Evangelene *literally* brought me back to church.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I love me some Phantom of the Opera, Vitamin C, and Carman. How's that spectrum for you?!

For pure nerd rock, though, I always come back to Kirby Krackle - very fun, very pop.

mikel.withers

Post  mikel.withers March 23rd 2016, 12:53 pm

Oh, well, Phantom... my wife and daughter are really into musical theater, and whenever a Phantom song comes on their playlist it is terrific.
    Morfinwen
    Morfinwen

Activity : 43
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Morfinwen March 25th 2016, 2:13 am

Thinking about "geeky" music makes me think of the various fan songs written about video games. Some people are unfairly talented.

I'm not sure i could sum up all the styles of music that i like. I like slow acoustic songs, fast electronic rock songs, quiet indie songs, etc.
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 July 28th 2016, 12:58 am

Here's the video to a Huur Huur Tu concert in California a few years ago. I've listen to only a few minutes of it so far, but I'll try to listen to more of it as I have time, and what I've heard so far is very good.

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike August 12th 2016, 1:55 pm

And this is why Kirby Krackle rocks..... forever.

jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 August 28th 2016, 7:54 pm

Started listening to HUVA Network a few weeks ago, and like their music a lot.

ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 17th 2016, 6:37 pm

Ring Capacity by Kirby Krackle has been my ringtone for several years now, and I still love it when people call me! Very Happy
    I like different genres, pop, rock, hiphop, r&b, jazz, blues, but I can't say I'm an ardent music lover so I hardly ever listen to music.

That being said, I love the Jesus Christ Superstar rock opera, the Man of Steel soundtrack song "What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?", the Blade soundtrack, the What Women Want soundtrack, and many of the Empire series songs & music. If I'm in the mood for hard rock, Skunk Anansie is my go to. And I love almost everything by Eric Whitacre (who does miracles with his so-called virtual choirs (= youtubers singing at home, brought together virtually by Whitacre), very modern yet with a classical sound. Check out his crowd-sourced work, for instance:

As for worship music, to give you some examples, I love the Revelation Song by Don Moen, Holy God by Brian Doerksen, Sanctus by Libera, Baruch Haba Yeshua by Karen Davis. Occasionally I throw in some Taize.

And many more, and so on...
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 September 17th 2016, 7:12 pm

That Whitacre piece was far better then I was expecting, ComiKate, thanks. That's the first I've known that such work was being done.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 19th 2016, 10:13 am

ComiKate wrote:I love the Jesus Christ Superstar rock opera,

I used to sing through that repeatedly throughout high school. I might still have the whole thing memorized! Pilate's song was big inspiration for "Deadly Game" in Spirit Blade. GREAT music!

And although the theology is whacked, someone once pointed out to me that Judas is the narrator, and so you can choose to view the entire thing as his twisted perception of events if you want. I don't think that was the creative intent, but I did find it to be an interesting lens for listening to it!

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 19th 2016, 6:08 pm

Paeter wrote:
    ComiKate wrote:I love the Jesus Christ Superstar rock opera,

I used to sing through that repeatedly throughout high school. I might still have the whole thing memorized! Pilate's song was big inspiration for "Deadly Game" in Spirit Blade. GREAT music!

I can still sing along with many songs as well! Love Mary Magdalene's songs, and Herod's song & dance still makes me smile while I sing & dance along with him king
    And I really love the raw emotion and passion with which Ted Neeley portrays Jesus. The way he rubbelized those merchants' tables and benches was bomb! Very Happy

(even though the entire piece is, as you say, whacked theology-wise)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 20th 2016, 9:08 am

ComiKate wrote:
    (even though the entire piece is, as you say, whacked theology-wise)

One thing I'll give its theology is that, when it doesn't go too far (which it most often does iirc), it wonderfully brings out the humanity of Jesus. He was not hovering and glowing in stasis his entire life. He was emotional and grieving. So pulling out those moments is still nice while listening.

www.spiritblade.com
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson November 17th 2016, 5:41 am

I like heavy stuff. Fit for a King, Demon Hunter, Wolves at the Gate, Project 86, Becoming the Archetype, Metallica, Disturbed, Iron Maiden. Also hip-hop, especially NF and the guys on Humble Beast Records.

And I've been a "Weird" Al fan for a long time.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi November 17th 2016, 8:38 am

What!? Nobody likes Yoko Ono?

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 17th 2016, 10:18 am

jorowi wrote:What!? Nobody likes Yoko Ono?

I swear that could be my six year old screwing around at the microphone. What kind of "music" is she known for? I thought she played some stringed instrument.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings November 17th 2016, 5:48 pm

I've recently discovered a whole new form of "Geek Music" (kinda similar to Weird Al I guess)
    Check out the bands 'Debs & Errol' and 'All Caps'
    They both sing about all things geeky - often while parodying other songs.

Geek Love Song is a fun place to start

A really cool one is Walkthrough, which puts the entire walkthrough of the text adventure game Zork to music

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings November 17th 2016, 5:53 pm

jorowi wrote:What!? Nobody likes Yoko Ono?

I have no words.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 7:56 am