Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!! Empty SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!!

Post  Paeter March 28th 2016, 10:20 am

You've been warned! DO NOT PROCEED until you've seen the movie!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!! Empty Re: SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!!

Post  Paeter March 28th 2016, 10:27 am

So what was your biggest jaw-dropping or heart wrenching moment that you've been dying to tell someone about?

So many for me in the last 30 minutes. When that bone stabbed through Superman's heart I was like "Oh my gosh, they're really doing it!"

Some have criticized the death of Superman because it happened before he was celebrated and known by the world and other heroes and so we don't feel anyone mourning him like they did in the comic story. Personally, I find this MORE powerful, because he sacrificed himself for everyone without being universally celebrated by people. It was so much more like the death of Jesus than the original story, and even setting that aside I think it adds a layer of great nobility and compassion to Superman's character for him to do this, even though Martha rightly observed that he doesn't owe the world a thing.

Yeah, Superman is just a guy trying to do the right thing, but I can't think of a time he's reflected our Savior more closely.

www.spiritblade.com
    cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!! Empty Re: SPOILER FILLED DISCUSSION OF "Batman V Superman"!!!

Post  cleireac March 28th 2016, 5:35 pm

I'll be a dissenting voice here, as I just posted my thoughts over at my Geekklesia site http://geekklesia.blogspot.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.html

(if you want, I can cross post it to CGC, but I know that I've been off the radar for a while)
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 March 28th 2016, 11:18 pm

I was surprised they made Bruce Wayne older, and had him doing the Batman thing for 20 or so years. It seemed to make the lack of any mention of him in "Man of Steel" a bit odd.

And I never saw Metropolis and Gotham as been so close to each other.

The spray painted Batsuit makes me wonder what his Joker was like.

Not sure how to understand Wayne's strange apocalyptic dream. Was it something from the future? Or from another dimension? And who was it talking to him from the computer screen?

The only big hole I noticed was right at the end. How did Luthor know that someone in the stars knew that Superman was dead? Was it maybe something he learned from the Kryptonian ship's archives? That's the only answer I can think of, but without knowing what he learned, it seems a bit contrived to bring it right at the end.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 29th 2016, 4:49 pm

jazzact13 wrote:
    1.I was surprised they made Bruce Wayne older, and had him doing the Batman thing for 20 or so years. It seemed to make the lack of any mention of him in "Man of Steel" a bit odd.

2. And I never saw Metropolis and Gotham as been so close to each other.

3. The spray painted Batsuit makes me wonder what his Joker was like.

4. Not sure how to understand Wayne's strange apocalyptic dream. Was it something from the future? Or from another dimension? And who was it talking to him from the computer screen?

5. The only big hole I noticed was right at the end. How did Luthor know that someone in the stars knew that Superman was dead? Was it maybe something he learned from the Kryptonian ship's archives? That's the only answer I can think of, but without knowing what he learned, it seems a bit contrived to bring it right at the end.

1. My thinking is that Batman still seems to be a pretty shadowy "urban legend", or at least his public status is unclear. Either way I figured an "all-powerful" alien made him seem irrelevant by comparison.

2. I agree. Metropolis is in Maryland and Gotham is in New Jersey according to an old DC RPG Atlas I have. I guess it was just convenient to the story?

3. If you look more closely that suit has an "R" on it, presumably for robin, who was likely killed by the Joker at some point. That's the leading fan theory anyway.

4. Yeah, those were weird. I'm guessing the nature of those visions will be explaned in the Justice League movie.

5. I tossed this in with the Batman visions. It felt more like a post-credits scene and I'm assuming it will be explained in the Justice League movie. I wouldn't have put it in the movie proper, though.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 30th 2016, 7:35 pm

I promise I'm not copying you Paeter, but here are my spoiler-filled thoughts, mostly on the ending. Again our thoughts and pretty well aligned.

I had a feeling that guy from the future was The Flash (since time-travel seems to be a thing for him, at least in the TV series)
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 March 30th 2016, 10:11 pm

I missed the R on the spray painted suit. In the comic, I think it was The Joker who killed Robin. Makes me even more curious about The Joker this Batman had to fight.
    cleireac
    cleireac

Post  cleireac March 31st 2016, 12:25 pm

Here's an interesting review. I'm not objecting to the themes, just the way they were presented.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/30/steve-deace-why-critics-are-wrong-about-batman-v-s/
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 31st 2016, 7:59 pm

cleireac wrote:Here's an interesting review. I'm not objecting to the themes, just the way they were presented.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/30/steve-deace-why-critics-are-wrong-about-batman-v-s/

He's got some good points! Not sure about all of them. And his tone is a bit... hmm, I'm not sure. But it made me uneasy.

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 March 31st 2016, 11:04 pm

They're having an interesting discussion about the movie over at Speculative Faith. This is the first part of it.

http://www.speculativefaith.com/badfan-v-superman-top-ten-movie-myths-part-1/
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings March 31st 2016, 11:41 pm

You beat me to it Jazz.
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 April 1st 2016, 10:39 pm

One of the Spec Faith reviews had a link to this deleted scene, which does help explain that last conversation between Batman and Luthor, though it also brings up other questions, like who on or off Earth that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings April 13th 2016, 11:16 pm

A local pastor from my city has just posted his analysis on Batman V Superman.
    https://andrewcorbett.blogspot.com.au/2016/04/the-gospel-in-batman-versus-superman.html

Seems he is on the same page as most of us.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster April 23rd 2016, 2:19 am

jazzact13 wrote:I missed the R on the spray painted suit. In the comic, I think it was The Joker who killed Robin. Makes me even more curious about The Joker this Batman had to fight.

That universe's Joker will be featured in Suicide Squad
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 April 23rd 2016, 9:48 am

I was wondering if that movie would tie in to BvS, or was a separate story.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 26th 2016, 9:23 am

jazzact13 wrote:I was wondering if that movie would tie in to BvS, or was a separate story.

Based on the latest trailer it sounds like it happens in the aftermath of Batman V Superman.

I was feeling somewhat neutral about SS, but I'm looking forward to it a little more these days! It will be interesting to see a different director's style applied to the same cinematic universe. Yes, Marvel has been using multiple directors, but they keep them on a pretty tight leash and enforce a largely consistent style and tone. I'm curious about a cinematic universe that potentially reflects the diversity of styles you find in DC/Marvel comic books, which share the same worlds but different creative teams.

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Post  jazzact13 April 26th 2016, 10:49 pm

Has there been any news on if Affleck's Batman, or maybe even Wonder Woman, might make an appearance in Suicide Squad? Or maybe even a hint of a resuscitated Superman?
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster April 27th 2016, 12:47 am

I've heard rumors about Batman being in SS but I don't know if it was confirmed although it looks like he's in the newest trailer but of course DC would never have spoilers in their trailers.

DC recently announced a untitled event movie which I'm going to guess is about the return of Superman
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter April 28th 2016, 10:24 am

Rickster wrote:I've heard rumors about Batman being in SS but I don't know if it was confirmed although it looks like he's in the newest trailer but of course DC would never have spoilers in their trailers.

DC recently announced a untitled event movie which I'm going to guess is about the return of Superman

Bats could be seen super-briefly in one of the first SS trailers, but I have no idea how much he is in the movie. I'm guessing Ben Affleck may not even be involved and Batman will just be a shadowy figure seen from the criminals perspective, but I could be waaaay off, since WB seems to think (probably rightly) that more Batman sells more tickets.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings May 2nd 2016, 12:50 am

Pretty certain Affleck has a role in Suicide Squad, but not sure how big a role.

Ooh, announcement of new film? Sounds like there's not many details, but I must learn more. To google!
    cleireac
    cleireac

Post  cleireac May 19th 2016, 2:01 pm

I found this article is interesting:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3921975?utm_source=fb-channel-superheroes&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=new-head-of-dc-films-geoff-johns-hears-fans-loud-and-clear

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 9:46 pm