Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS)

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS) Empty Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS)

Post  Nathan James Norman September 16th 2016, 11:39 am

I enjoyed Batman V Superman when it came out (7/10).
    My criticisms were pretty much in line with everyone else's, though not as severe.

I was gifted the ultimate edition and watched it the other night.
    Wow!
    The extra half hour really improved the film.
    The narrative flows more smoothly. The characterizations are stronger (although they could have been better still). The music is actually even better. The fight scenes are darker, more extreme, and more awesome.

Mainly, though, the story feels much more unified.
    The theatrical cut barely implied a few of the connections. The extended cut really showed Lex's overarching hand in nearly every conflict that happened in the film.

Furthermore, there was more "natural" theology in the ultimate edition. By this, I mean prayers and sermons offered about the real God and Christ, not directed toward Superman.

Finally, I think this version showed me what they were trying to do with Lex. I initially didn't like it... but I think they are trying to take these young tech giants (Bezos, Zuckerberg, etc.) and show us what a maleficent version of them would look like.

Anyhow... the Ultimate Edition is not without its flaws, but it gets boosted up to a 9/10 in my book.
    ... but then again it also features 100% more Bat-Butt than I cared to see (however brief), so it's back down to 8.5 lol!

Anyone else see this?
    What did you think?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS) Empty Re: Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS)

Post  Paeter September 16th 2016, 3:20 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    The theatrical cut barely implied a few of the connections. The extended cut really showed Lex's overarching hand in nearly every conflict that happened in the film.

I thought the Ultimate Cut was an improvement, but I already loved the original. The biggest thing this did was give more validity to Lex as a threat for me. Still not a fan of the Zuckerberg, bratty kid take on Lex, but this cut at least showed me how much more a manipulating chess master he was as a villain. I also liked how the Clark stuff built up the motivation more for Supes' confrontation with Bats.

All that said, I can't imagine this cut will turn anyone from a hater to a lover of this film or even be likely to help them tolerate it. It's still very much the same movie overall. And longer, which is great for me, both for the extended experience of enjoyment and because it makes it harder to carve at time to watch it. (I don't want to wear this one out with over-familiarity like I did to myself with the Matrix Trilogy!)

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS) Empty Re: Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition (SPOILERS)

Post  AdamCollings September 18th 2016, 6:29 pm

Likewise, I loved the original, but agree that the ultimate cut was even better. It fleshed out the story a lot better.

Interestingly, I remember wondering if the photographer at the beginning was meant to be Jimmy Olsen. The ultimate cut made it clear that I was right. Very interesting new take on the character. Pity he didn't last very long though.
    And yes, it was great to see more Clark Kent.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Clark after Superman comes back to life. Will He try to explain his absence, or no longer use the secret identity.

I didn't notice the Bat-Butt Nathan.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers October 24th 2016, 9:02 am

Just watched this last night.
    First time through the movie.
    I thought it was...okay.
    For me, the best part of the movie was when the bat thing jumps out of Martha's grave. I jumped.

"Martha? Martha? Why did you say that name?"
    Spellbinder looks up at the Dark Knight, happy that his mask covers the grin on his face, "Oh, that is the name of my great aunt, she needs help moving her couch."
    "Ahhhhh."
    "Say, you wouldn't, possibly, be willing to lend a hand, would you...for Martha?"
    "Martha won't move her own couch tonight!"

Yeah, they needed a way to get the good guys together...if the Batman in this movie can be considered a good guy... but ugh.
    Make KryptonianHulk threaten Alfred or something, that would at least tie in with the whole "letting your family die" bit they had been working on.
    Speaking of PlasmaHulk, if Wonder Woman can slice him up with her sword, and the Glowing Green Spear of Destiny is toxic to Superman... why not just ...I dunno... trade weapons for a minute? Superman could dice SplodyHulk up with the sword, then Wonder Woman, or Batman, could get the spear in their own sweet time and put an end to it. Maybe not as dramatic, but isn't Batman a great strategist or something?

Overall, I'd give this movie a 5.5/10. It had some interesting bits, it was filmed well, and it had some good action scenes...but I doubt I ever try to watch it again.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 12:31 pm