Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Star Trek Discovery gets a trailer

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Star Trek Discovery gets a trailer Empty Star Trek Discovery gets a trailer

Post  AdamCollings May 18th 2017, 5:20 am

Wow, so Star Trek Discovery just got a trailer.

Two trailer in fact, but I've linked the international one, because that's the one I'm able to view.

So my initial thoughts are reasonably positive.

The visual style could be described as a "canon violation", given the story is set at the same time as the original Star Trek pilot "The Cage". But setting that aside, the set design seems a logical extrapolation from the NX-01 (Enterprise) to the USS Kelvin (Star Trek 09), which exists in the prime timeline, to Star Trek Discovery.
    Similarly, the uniform seems a logical middle-ground between the USS Kelvin and the TOS uniform. In any case, I quite like the visual look of what I'm seeing.

Not entirely sold on the new look of the Klingons. I'd prefer a classic TNG look (happy to believe that all the TOS ridgeless Klingons are conveniently off-camera).
    They look better than the Kelvinverse Klingons. I can probably learn to accept them. I think the biggest thing is they appear to have no hair. I want beards and long hair. Then they'll be Klingons. But, all I've really seen is tiny snippets. I suspect that the actors may be able to sell it. If they "act Klingon" it will make up for any visual differences.

We don't get a lot about the story from this trailer, but it seems they are getting back to the roots of exploring space on the final frontier. That excites me no end.
    Looking forward to seeing the show later this year.

Trekmovie have done an in-depth analysis of the American trailer.
    http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/17/star-trek-discovery-first-look-trailer-analysis-with-screencaps-and-gifs/
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Star Trek Discovery gets a trailer Empty Re: Star Trek Discovery gets a trailer

Post  jorowi May 18th 2017, 9:01 am

Here's the US version.

Interesting that it's being distributed via Netflix overseas.

The acting is stiff with little or no emotion. It's like they're trying to act Vulcan. Maybe it's just the way the trailer was cut.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 18th 2017, 11:45 am

jorowi wrote:
    The acting is stiff with little or no emotion. It's like they're trying to act Vulcan. Maybe it's just the way the trailer was cut.

I felt that way too. The vibe I got was an attempted halfway point between the spectacle/action focus of the movies and the academic/conceptual focus of the shows. The young black actress has promise as a performer. I've seen her do some great stuff on The Walking Dead. But the captain felt super dry and hopefully will be the subject of that "death that's coming".

Speaking of that alien character, he reads to me like yet another version of "emotionless intellectual" (Data/Spock/Holo-Dr./etc) I'd love to have that mold broken by a character who is like a sort of renaissance man, deeply passionate and feeling yet also brilliantly intelligent and logical!

From what I understand, this show, after the pilot, will ONLY be available for those who pay for a CBS subscription. That's a bummer. I'd love to give this show a real chance unless the pilot completely does nothing for me. I'd like to think the disconnect I'm feeling IS because of how the trailer was cut.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter May 18th 2017, 12:03 pm

Holy crap!

If this trailer isn't floating your boat, try THIS topic thread to check out an alternative!

https://spiritblade.forumotion.com/t2284-the-orville-series-trailer

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 1st 2024, 11:08 pm