Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Comic Suggestions

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Comic Suggestions Empty Comic Suggestions

Post  AdamCollings November 30th 2020, 5:39 pm

Listening to people dissect the Snyder Cut trailer, I'm realising that I need to do a little homework.
    Can you guys recommend any DC comics that would give me a good grounding on Darkseid and his backstory.
    Particularly those I can get cheap on Comixology.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Comic Suggestions Empty Re: Comic Suggestions

Post  AdamCollings November 30th 2020, 7:22 pm

Oh, I'd also like to learn what this anti-life equation is all about.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed December 1st 2020, 10:08 am

Most of what I know about Darkseid comes from the Superman and Justice League animated series, I think. But most of that is based on the comics, and it just takes out a lot off the chaff that has accumulated over time.

Here's a subjective list I found of the ten most important Darkseid stories in the comics: https://www.cbr.com/dc-darkseid-most-important-stories/
    10. Forever People #1
    9. Mister Miracle (by Tom King)
    8. Superman/Batman #8-13
    7. Crisis Between Two Earths
    6. JLA: Rock Of Ages
    5. Justice League #1 (New 52)
    4. New Gods #18-20 (Jack Kirby)
    3. Darkseid War
    2. New Gods #7 (Jack Kirby)
    1. Final Crisis

I have read at least two of those, maybe three. They leave out a big story from before Crisis on Infinite Earths called The Great Darkness Saga, which featured the Legion of Superheroes battling Darkseid. I read it quite some time ago.

I might not recommend Final Crisis. It's very difficult to understand on its own, and you have to read a lot of other comics by the same author (Grant Morrison) from several years before to make sense of everything. And even if you manage to do that, I'd imagine it's still a head-scratcher. To me, the first six issues are pretty interesting, but the last issue just goes bonkers. There are authors out there who can make good stories that tie in a lot of bits from supplementary material while also being able to stand by themselves. Grant Morrison doesn't seem to be able to do that, IMO.

Also, here's an article about twelve characters who have beaten Darkseid, including a group of Marvel characters: https://www.cbr.com/heroes-everyone-forgets-defeated-darkseid-dc-comics/
    Random, unsolicited note: Galactus once nearly consumed Darkseid's home world, Apokolips, but once he found that it was already dead, he ended up just commending Darkseid for fighting so hard to protect it even though it was worthless.

And here are ten things to know about the Anti-Life Equation: https://www.cbr.com/dc-darkseid-anti-life-equation-trivia-fan-should-know/
    10. Mister Miracle Knows the Formula
    9. Static Shock Is Immune
    8. Love Is a Key Ingredient
    7. Darkseid Was the First to Theorize It
    6. Orion Has Used the Formula
    5. It Started DCeased (the alternate zombie universe)
    4. It Can Be Spread Through the Internet
    3. There Are Protections Against It
    2. It's Name Comes from the Fact That Anyone Under It Isn't Really Alive Anymore
    1. There Is an Anti-Death Equation in Another Universe That Makes People Into Immortal Monsters

(Why is that #1?)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 1st 2020, 12:56 pm

Maybe not the best story to introduce you to Darkseid and the Anti-Life Equation, but it was the story that basically introduced me to both.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed December 2nd 2020, 9:06 am

AdamCollings wrote:Oh, I'd also like to learn what this anti-life equation is all about.

I found a fan wiki entry about the Anti-Life Equation. That might cover it more in-depth than the list from before.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Anti-Life_Equation
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike December 7th 2020, 9:54 pm

Darkseid and the Anti-Life Equation? No easy question.

Paeter's take on Cosmic Odyssey is probably the most succinct summary of both that you are going to get. It's an excellent story with consequences that played out in the DCU for years to come.

AGoodReed's lists are fairly staggering, but I'd cherry pick some entries:

Jack Kirby's New Gods. Read the entire series, it's only about two dozen issues. This is where it all started. Every other interpretation of Darkseid and the Anti-Life Equation is basically a derivative work.

New 52 Justice League intro story arc (first six issues?). It's not good. Really not good. But it is likely going to be the most relevant to the movie, as the existing Justice League movie is basically a version of that story.

Final Crisis. If you can puzzle it out - and you have read the entirety of Grant Morrison's run of JLA and Seven Soldiers of Victory and Death of the New Gods and Countdown - and you don't forget to read all of the tie-in books as well as the aftermath in the pages of Batman and Return of Bruce Wayne... so nearly a hundred issues worth of material. If you can do all of that - and I have - it will have been one of the most frustrating and least rewarding exercises you could possibly have undertaken, one that still makes me angry.

For an analysis of Final Crisis, I recommend Rikdad's Comic Thoughts for a summary of the story, and The Comics Cube for a commentary on the meta-social-corporate relevancy of the work. Read these before you decide if you want to chase that rabbit.

My current favorite Darkseid story comes from the Legion of Super-Heroes, and its a tie. The classic Levitz/Giffen Great Darkness Saga (1982) certainly deserves a mention for its all-encompassing cast of characters and enduring storytelling. But I love the recent Foundations (2004) by Abnett and Lanning, which reintroduces Superboy to the Legion in modern continuity and shows off the depths of Darkseid's depravity.

But the most important thing to remember about the Anti-Life Equation is this: Kirby never intended for it to be truly and extensively defined. And in my opinion, every attempt to make it into something concrete has been a - sometimes ludicrous - failure. It's been described as "time", "entropy", "love", "despair", "death", and "new life replacing the old". In New Gods, Kirby describes the ALE as something which robs others of their free will - the ultimate expression of absolute causality - though Darkseid believes that possessing it will rob the universe of everything which "is not the will of Darkseid."

Long story short - if you want definitive Darkseid stories, go with Cosmic Odyssey and The Great Darkness Saga.

AGoodReed likes this post

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed December 8th 2020, 9:16 am

mindspike wrote:
    Final Crisis. If you can puzzle it out - and you have read the entirety of Grant Morrison's run of JLA and Seven Soldiers of Victory and Death of the New Gods and Countdown - and you don't forget to read all of the tie-in books as well as the aftermath in the pages of Batman and Return of Bruce Wayne... so nearly a hundred issues worth of material. If you can do all of that - and I have - it will have been one of the most frustrating and least rewarding exercises you could possibly have undertaken, one that still makes me angry.

Okay, that makes me feel better that I never tried it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 8th 2020, 11:51 am

mindspike wrote:

But the most important thing to remember about the Anti-Life Equation is this: Kirby never intended for it to be truly and extensively defined. And in my opinion, every attempt to make it into something concrete has been a - sometimes ludicrous - failure.

I didn't know this, but am in full support of it. I always thought the equation was much more ominous a threat when it had this unknown, almost lovecraftian quality to it. So I'm with Winston in saying don't worry about trying to understand it. That may actually make it less interesting or scary.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed December 8th 2020, 2:10 pm

Paeter wrote:
    mindspike wrote:

But the most important thing to remember about the Anti-Life Equation is this: Kirby never intended for it to be truly and extensively defined. And in my opinion, every attempt to make it into something concrete has been a - sometimes ludicrous - failure.

I didn't know this, but am in full support of it. I always thought the equation was much more ominous a threat when it had this unknown, almost lovecraftian quality to it. So I'm with Winston in saying don't worry about trying to understand it. That may actually make it less interesting or scary.

Does anyone remember what the Anti-Life Equation was in Justice League Unlimited?

Spoiler:
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike December 8th 2020, 6:01 pm

AGoodReed wrote:Does anyone remember what the Anti-Life Equation was in Justice League Unlimited?

This is what I think is happening.

Anti-Life Equation in JLU:

AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings December 9th 2020, 12:25 am

Thanks for the great advice guys.
    I'll do a little reading over the holidays, and hopefully be in a position to most fully appreciate the Snyder cut when it comes out.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed December 11th 2020, 9:16 am

mindspike wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:Does anyone remember what the Anti-Life Equation was in Justice League Unlimited?

This is what I think is happening.

Anti-Life Equation in JLU:

It didn't resonate with me because:
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike December 11th 2020, 12:35 pm

AGoodReed wrote:

Ah, but what if.....

Luthor's final fate:

AGoodReed

Post  AGoodReed December 13th 2020, 7:25 pm

mindspike wrote:
    AGoodReed wrote:

Ah, but what if.....

Luthor's final fate:

Spoiler:

If someone ever gifts me the entire JLU series for a holiday or it shows up on a streaming service I have, I'll watch it again and get a different take. I haven't seen in almost a decade.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 6:57 pm