Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Empty Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post  AdamCollings March 9th 2022, 5:13 pm

We're lucky today. Woke up to trailers for both Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
    Feeling pretty enthusiastic about both of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnlOhdFZSXw

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-teaser-trailer
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Empty Re: Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post  mindspike March 11th 2022, 2:48 pm

I've got my eye on these as well. And the Star Trek trailer has me seriously considering a Paramount Plus subscription.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Empty Re: Trailers for Obi-Wan and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Post  Paeter March 11th 2022, 7:39 pm

Dude, Obi-Wan has real potential to be way better than any star wars movie or show I've seen yet. And I hope they give Joel Edgerton (Luke's Uncle) a ton of cool stuff to do that makes him way more than we ever suspected that character was. We had no idea who Edgerton was when he played that character in the 3rd prequel movie. He was very young and I don't think had any lines. But he has since become a significant actor in many movies. It's such crazy happenstance and I really hope they elevate his character to match where he has arrived as an actor.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 11th 2022, 7:44 pm

And wow. Strange New Worlds. The timing couldn't be better, since Discovery has now basically morphed into something I'm kind of repelled by (see today's podcast ep for details).

It looks like it will have cinematic weight, and the dramatic potential for Pike that was touched on in discovery could be so much more fully realized here. Dude. yeah.

Thanks for posting these!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 17th 2022, 10:10 pm

Regarding Discovery.
    It's ironic that the move CBS changes Discovery to be more what the average vocal majority wants, the more it moves away from what you want it to be.

Regarding season 4, your observations are valid. The show has a lot less sweat stains than it did in season 1. (I actually wish they'd kept Saru as captain for longer)
    There certainly is inter-personal conflict going on. In fact, one of the major romantic pairings in the show gets ripped apart but a fundamental disagreement over how to deal with the overall threat of the season. That leaves one of them basically siding with the human villain of the season. But the character dynamics of this are not handled near as well as something like Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 would do.

Regarding the LGBQ+ stuff going on, you are right there is a very definite value being portrayed by the creators of the show. In fairness, Star Trek has always had a left-leaning political stance. Roddenberry created Star Trek to talk about political issues using metaphor in much the same as Jonathan Swift did with Gulliver's Travels. Of course, what was considered left-leaning in the 60s is quite different to what is considered left-leaning today.
    I can tell you that most of this is front-loaded in the season. We actually see Gray leave the ship to pursue his career on Trill halfway through the season.
    I really appreciated what you had to say about this whole issue in the podcast. I think you're right about this being the issue of our generation. We can't just wish it all to go away. We have to find ways to lovingly engage with this issue. This can be difficult because it is such an emotive issue, and there are so many pre-conceived ideas on each side about the other.

I also feel there have been some pacing issues in this season. Things just seem a bit stretched out at times.

Now onto the positives, why I'm sticking with and really enjoying Discovery season 4.
    We're finally getting a sense of boldly going. Our heroes are facing a brand new species that they need to learn about and communicate with. In a sense, we're getting to the roots of really classic Star Trek. That sense of wonder about new civilisations. Trying to understand alien species that are very different to us. I thought we were going to get some of that in season 2, until it fell back on the trope of "it was all Burnham from the start". I haven't seen any of that in Season 4. In fact, I'd say Burnham is much less of a "mary-sue" than she was in the first two episodes. She is no longer the most important person in the galaxy all the time. She's just a Starship captain.

So while we've lost a lot of the sweat-stained character drama that I enjoyed in early seasons, we've gained some of the other things that I love about Star Trek.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 18th 2022, 5:01 pm

Thanks so much for this, Adam! I will definitely consider watching the rest of season 4 on a peripheral screen to give it another chance. I still really appreciate the general production quality (sets, effects, etc) and would love to feel like its a show that can transport me into exciting new places out in space.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 4:10 am