Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Why people think Christians are fake

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Why people think Christians are fake Empty Why people think Christians are fake

Post  DNArington August 23rd 2012, 1:31 am

Here is a link to an article that I found thought provoking about why people think Christians are fake: http://www.jonacuff.com/stuffchristianslike/2012/08/why-people-think-christians-are-fake/

I agree with what the man says I just never quite pinned it down in my mind.

The problem he states would be a hard one to fix, but I do think it is important.

David N. Alderman
    David N. Alderman

Activity : 67
    Geek-Cred : 3

Why people think Christians are fake Empty Re: Why people think Christians are fake

Post  David N. Alderman August 24th 2012, 5:27 pm

That is an interesting article. And I would agree with it to some extent. I have come across many Christians and churches who do acknowledge that we as Christians still sin like the rest of the world, the only difference is that we acknowledge that Jesus died on the cross for those sins and we engage in a life of repentance - turning away from that sin. We may fall, but we'll get back up and keep heading toward God.

However, as the article implies, there are many Christians who don't acknowledge to the rest of the world - or to other Christians - that they stumble, fall, sin, or make grievous mistakes against God from time to time. I do think that is part of the reason why Christianity can leave such a bad taste in some people's mouths. Everyone knows we all fall. But for Christians to turn around and claim they don't and not be honest about their shortcomings and 'wanderings', is simply a lie to those around them. We lose legitimacy as Christ's followers when we do that. And like the article said, we don't create an environment of honesty or openness.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Why people think Christians are fake Empty Re: Why people think Christians are fake

Post  Drew.Rub August 25th 2012, 8:29 am

I just got to read the original linked post. I can say that I've been in this guys shoes (not literally, of course) and know some of same arguements about Christians being fake.

I feel that acknowledging our tendancy to fall even after accepting God's forgiveness is vital to our testimony to non-believers. Becoming a Christian doesn't make us perfect. We have to acknowledge that we have been sinners and are still sinners. The only difference between us and the worls is that we are forgiven by the ultimate gift and strive to live a life w/o sin.

The problem and distinction is that we must strive to live without sinning (which we know we won't be able to do). I could open a potential black hole of trouble by mentioning a specific topic here, but I won't. I'll just say I find it hard to hear a person claim to be a Christian yet live a lifestyle that is in open defiance of God's teaching.

This, to me, reinforces ht elinked posting. As Christians, we need to present an honest and accurate presentation of God's teachings. Changing lyrics in songs may not seem like much, but I agree that it can give non-believers the impression that Christians are fake.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill August 26th 2012, 2:57 am

From where I sit until you have acknowledged that you have wandered from Christ,and therefore admitting your failure and continued need for the Savior it's hard to know the fullness of His redemptive work beyond an intellectual level. Hopefully that worship leader is the exception to the rule.

Either way though, I think it'd be fun to see Peter have a heart to heart with that worship leader, especially later in his life, after that whole rooster thing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 11:35 am