Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
tmorrill
DNArington
6 posters

Board/card games

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Board/card games Empty Board/card games

Post  DNArington December 11th 2012, 12:52 am

Board/card games Nn420911

The podcast this week got me thinking about board/card games and I was wondering what is some of you peoples favorite board/card games?

My favorite card game is UNO....Just kidding Smile (Though I do actually like UNO. Why all the hate Paeter? Wink ) My favorite card game is Jungle Speed. Not geeky, but if you get a large group of friends playing it is a lot of fun.

My favorite board game is The Fury of Dracula, where you seek out and fight Dracula with stakes and holy water and other such weapons, along the way encountering his deadly minions.

As you might be able to tell, I haven't played a wide variety of board or card games so I would love to hear about some more I could check out.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Board/card games Empty Re: Board/card games

Post  tmorrill December 11th 2012, 2:03 am

Ticket to Ride is one of my favorite board games right now. It's a fun and easy intro to the world of board gaming. Especially for families that might not be the most receptive to fantasy style board games.

On a related note, I recently discovered a game shop here in my city so I may actually get to start playing more game now, and be an ambassador of the Gospel to them too!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate December 11th 2012, 11:29 am

I've only ever played two geeky board games myself:

1. Heroquest
    2. Talisman (incl. all extensions, I believe there were five or six extension boards)

I loved them both back in the day. I even got my parents to play a couple of rounds of Heroquest, with me as the "DM"! That was hilarious. Especially when my father got really into it and started yelling angrily at the biggest monster when "it" beat him! Laughing

Don't play any anymore, mainly because none of my friends are geeks (hmmm, now what am I doing wrong? Wink ). Also, because I don't own the games anymore, which is a minor though I guess rather essential detail... Wink

Never played any card games either, so still mildly curious about those.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 12th 2012, 2:31 pm

My favorites are already in Episode Zero, so I won't retread them here. But a few thoughts:

I've heard Ticket To Ride is the ultimate "Gateway Game"! Never played it myself, though.

LOVED Heroquest! (Eventually replaced it with Descent: Journeys In The Dark)

Lately I'm loving Agricola, and so is MY WIFE!! WOOHOO!!
    It's all about farming, with very little geek flavor (although it does take place in medieval times). I've created a solo/co-op variant and posted it at boardgamegeek.com that adds some fantasy world flavor to it without messing with gameplay.

Have non-geek family coming into town for the holiday season and I'm hoping to use Agricola as a gateway game. Anxious to try and get some "Ultimate Werewolf" going too, of course.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster December 12th 2012, 6:22 pm

When I was a kid some neighbors were playing Heroquest and my mom suggested I play it with them but then forced me to stop after she she learned it was D&D. Now that I'm older I could play again but really don't have a desire to
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman December 12th 2012, 11:22 pm

tmorrill wrote:Ticket to Ride is one of my favorite board games right now. It's a fun and easy intro to the world of board gaming. Especially for families that might not be the most receptive to fantasy style board games.

This is a fantastic game!

I also really enjoy Castle Panic, Carcassone, and HeroClix!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 13th 2012, 11:03 pm

Rickster wrote:When I was a kid some neighbors were playing Heroquest and my mom suggested I play it with them but then forced me to stop after she she learned it was D&D. Now that I'm older I could play again but really don't have a desire to

Well actually it has little to do with D&D aside from a basic fantasy dungeon-crawling theme. But I can see how someone not familiar with the fantasy genre (like a well-meaning mother) would assume it's all the same.

If you ever do get the itch for a dungeon crawl board game, HeroQuest is good for tweens and young teenagers, but Descent is probably one of the best places for a more strategic dungeon crawl.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 10:49 am